Question: WDI and the Oriental Land Company

wickedfan07

Original Poster
I was just thinking about Tokyo Disneyland and thought of an interesting question someone probably knows the answer to.

I noticed that the only attractions shared between TDL and another Disney Park are attractions that were built somewhere else first, and then added to TDL afterwards. This includes Space Mountain, Big Thunder, and all the classic Fantasyland rides. However, rides like Journey to the Center of the Earth were originally built in Tokyo and are not cloned or shared by any other Disney park.

So I ask, does Imagineering have an agreement with the Oriental Land Company that any attractions built originally for TDL stay exclusive to TDL and can never be cloned? Will we never see JttCotE (or any other Tokyo-specific ride, particularly anything at DisneySea at WDW? Some people want a clone of DisneySea to be built as WDW's 5th gate...is that even possible?

DisneySaint

No, WDI just made a promise to itself recently that it would avoid copying things as much as possible and focus on coming up with more unique ideas.

Lee

Adventurer
No, WDI just made a promise to itself recently that it would avoid copying things as much as possible and focus on coming up with more unique ideas.

Nope. There are legal restrictions.
Many of the rides at TDS are "owned" by OLC and may not be reproduced in their current form at any other Disney park.
The technology, sure. Themed the same way, no can do.

Rob562

Many of the rides at TDS are "owned" by OLC and may not be reproduced in their current form at any other Disney park.

I heard something similar from our Keys to the Kingdom tour guide about Timekeeper. Supposedly because it was developed and created for Disneyland Paris, WDW had to "pay" DLP for putting it into the Magic Kingdom...

-Rob

Tim G

I was just thinking about Tokyo Disneyland and thought of an interesting question someone probably knows the answer to.

I noticed that the only attractions shared between TDL and another Disney Park are attractions that were built somewhere else first, and then added to TDL afterwards. This includes Space Mountain, Big Thunder, and all the classic Fantasyland rides. However, rides like Journey to the Center of the Earth were originally built in Tokyo and are not cloned or shared by any other Disney park.

So I ask, does Imagineering have an agreement with the Oriental Land Company that any attractions built originally for TDL stay exclusive to TDL and can never be cloned? Will we never see JttCotE (or any other Tokyo-specific ride, particularly anything at DisneySea at WDW? Some people want a clone of DisneySea to be built as WDW's 5th gate...is that even possible?

With DisneySea, Creative was told to spare absolutely no expense, since the park's construction was being paid for by the OLC.

So... FYI

NO Journey to the Center of the Earth,
NO Storm Rider

Those two are exclusively designed and made for the Oriental Land Company.

BTW the other attractions were given by the Walt Disney company.
The Mouse gives...(for a huge amounts) and the OLC pays more than enough (almost unlimited)

Mr.EPCOT

So much for those rumors about StormRider coming to EPCOT a few years back.

Tim G

I concur :D

Pete C

So much for those rumors about StormRider coming to EPCOT a few years back.

Trust me, we are better off without it. If they announced that blurry, washed-out graphics filled, unconvincing motioned ride for EPCOT I would probably punch my monitor. Aside from the environmental effects, even Star Tours is a much better ride using far older technology.

Now, JTTCOTE was a blast, and one of the most thrilling Disney rides I have ever been on...too bad the exciting part is over way too quickly. As a complete ride, though, its one of the best Disney has ever created.

If I could take any of their rides, I would take JTTCOTE, Pooh from TDL (awesome!), and 20,000 Leagues. The last one surprised me because I had low expectations...it turned out to be quite cool. Also, the park theming itself which is truly the coolest thing about DisneySea.

Tim G

Trust me, we are better off without it. If they announced that blurry, washed-out graphics filled, unconvincing motioned ride for EPCOT I would probably punch my monitor. Aside from the environmental effects, even Star Tours is a much better ride using far older technology.

Now, JTTCOTE was a blast, and one of the most thrilling Disney rides I have ever been on...too bad the exciting part is over way too quickly. As a complete ride, though, its one of the best Disney has ever created.

If I could take any of their rides, I would take JTTCOTE, Pooh from TDL (awesome!), and 20,000 Leagues. The last one surprised me because I had low expectations...it turned out to be quite cool. Also, the park theming itself which is truly the coolest thing about DisneySea.

I beg to differ, If Storm Rider is blurry, so is Soarin' , the same movie techniques were used and is certainly better than Star Tours (US version)

Pete C

I beg to differ, If Storm Rider is blurry, so is Soarin' , the same movie techniques were used and is certainly better than Star Tours (US version)

Well, the graphics weren't filmed as they are computer generated...they looked odd to me. Either way, Soarin is twice as impressive as StormRider on the whole. I had 4 people in my group and all of us walked off entirely unimpressed with that attraction. The screen in StormRider looked like a concave grid with visible seams...I was never unaware of those fat lines on the screen because they were stationary while the visuals are moving. So much for IMAX dome, if that's what they used.

Tim G

Well, the graphics weren't filmed as they are computer generated...they looked odd to me. Either way, Soarin is twice as impressive as StormRider on the whole. I had 4 people in my group and all of us walked off entirely unimpressed with that attraction. The screen in StormRider looked like a concave grid with visible seams...I was never unaware of those fat lines on the screen because they were stationary while the visuals are moving. So much for IMAX dome, if that's what they used.

I never said an Emax-dome was used...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom