Question regarding points rental and magic bands

jmp85

Original Poster
Hi All -- We've never rented points before but looking at some of the prices available on the popular 'Daves DVC' I'm considering it for our next trip. If you rent points is there anyway to connect a credit card to your magic band so that you aren't constantly searching for a credit card? Maybe iPhone instead? Second, aside from not having the ability to cancel, are there any drawback to renting DVC points that I should consider? Thanks!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You don’t connect a credit card to your magic band. It doesn’t work that way. You link the card to your resort reservation, and the magic band is also linked to your room. Then the room charge goes to that credit card.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
If you rent points is there anyway to connect a credit card to your magic band so that you aren't constantly searching for a credit card?
At check in you will be able to add a card for incidentals / resort charges just like if you had a regular cash reservation where your final payment was due in advance.
Second, aside from not having the ability to cancel, are there any drawback to renting DVC points that I should consider?
That’s a pretty big drawback! Also generally speaking you need to be in contact with David’s a year out to get your first choice; rooms become available 11 months out and most DVC resorts sell out very, very early, especially for studios.

Most studios also have 1 queen bed and 1 pull out couch. The exceptions are: Old Key West has 2 queen beds, and Riviera, Saratoga Springs and soon, Polynesian have one Queen bed and one pull down Murphy-ish bed that has a slightly thinner mattress but is very comfortable. The pull out couches OTOH are, IMO, bad.

Also the rooms are generally smaller than their non-DVC Deluxe counterparts. Not much smaller, but smaller. Again there are exceptions. Bay Lake Tower in particular has some very small studios.

jmp85

Original Poster
At check in you will be able to add a card for incidentals / resort charges just like if you had a regular cash reservation where your final payment was due in advance.

That’s a pretty big drawback! Also generally speaking you need to be in contact with David’s a year out to get your first choice; rooms become available 11 months out and most DVC resorts sell out very, very early, especially for studios.

Most studios also have 1 queen bed and 1 pull out couch. The exceptions are: Old Key West has 2 queen beds, and Riviera, Saratoga Springs and soon, Polynesian have one Queen bed and one pull down Murphy-ish bed that has a slightly thinner mattress but is very comfortable. The pull out couches OTOH are, IMO, bad.

Also the rooms are generally smaller than their non-DVC Deluxe counterparts. Not much smaller, but smaller. Again there are exceptions. Bay Lake Tower in particular has some very small studios.
Thanks for the heads up. We have one more year before the oldest starts school, so we might feel comfortable booking a year out for next fall (I suppose until an 'omega' variant pops up 😂 ).

aliceismad

You don’t connect a credit card to your magic band. It doesn’t work that way. You link the card to your resort reservation, and the magic band is also linked to your room. Then the room charge goes to that credit card.
This. We've had no problems using a magic band to pay for things. The DVC owner makes the reservation and must make any changes, but the reservation is still in your name. The DVC owner doesn't get billed for things you charge to the room.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This. We've had no problems using a magic band to pay for things. The DVC owner makes the reservation and must make any changes, but the reservation is still in your name. The DVC owner doesn't get billed for things you charge to the room.
Exactly.

jmp85

Original Poster
Right, I understand that is how it is normally handled when you stay on Disney property, however I wasn't sure if by renting DVC points you could still set up a 'tab' with the resort. Glad to know you still can.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Right, I understand that is how it is normally handled when you stay on Disney property, however I wasn't sure if by renting DVC points you could still set up a 'tab' with the resort. Glad to know you still can.
Yes. When the DVC member makes the reservation for you, they don’t put a credit card on file. Totally up to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom