Question regarding lack of books in shops

Brer Panther

Original Poster
I just got back from Disney World, and I couldn't help but notice that there were no books in any of the shops. I saw a couple notebooks (just pages of lined paper with a cool cover) and a coloring book, but that was it.

Did Disney announce that they weren't going to sell books in the parks anymore?

castlecake2.0

I just got back from Disney World, and I couldn't help but notice that there were no books in any of the shops. I saw a couple notebooks (just pages of lined paper with a cool cover) and a coloring book, but that was it.

Definitely not as much as they used to, but you can still find them in certain shops. Could also be ongoing supply chain thing.

JIMINYCR

DW and I are voracious readers and book store love to see us coming in the doors because we never leave without a bag full of new reads. Unfortunately book stores are closing down because the demand for books by the new generations and others that live on their phones and computers, find it easier to download books to read on their devices at their leisure. (Libraries are also seeing less numbers of visitors who take out books as well.) I can imagine Disney may have seen a down turn in their book sales and therefore are scaling back on whats on the shelves??

StarWarsGirl

Honestly, I used to look at the books they had, look them up on Amazon, and order them from Amazon for much cheaper. Have a feeling a lot of people were doing the same thing. I too love books, but I'm also cheap.

MickeyLuv'r

(Libraries are also seeing less numbers of visitors who take out books as well.)
Not in my area.

The pandemic did have an impact. For a while, people shifted to e-books. Demand for e-books went crazy, and now our library offers more e-books than they did a few years ago.

I regularly walk past several local libraries though, and they are thoroughly back to being busy. People are once again comfortable sitting at the reading tables reading paper books. I don't work there, but the library looks like it is now as busy as it ever was, perhaps even busier.

Then again, my local libraries are very proactive and offer much more than books. One even has 3D printers! The children's areas are especially popular. They offer meeting space for all sorts of community groups, and there is a never-ending stream of events.

On top of that, two of them had massive renovations in the last 5 years. They are just truly state-of-the art beautiful buildings with lots of big windows, art, natural light, etc. Groups are happy to use the free space(s).

MickeyLuv'r

Honestly, I used to look at the books they had, look them up on Amazon, and order them from Amazon for much cheaper. Have a feeling a lot of people were doing the same thing. I too love books, but I'm also cheap.
Even still, Disney prints books. Even if you go online to buy them, Disney still makes money. Having them in the stores boosts online sales.

For much of the pandemic, it seemed to me that most retail stores have sought to limit inventory.

Sbk1234

I'm very disappointed, but not entirely surprised, if this is the case. My favorite souvenirs from the parks have always been the big coffee table books that Disney used to publish and update every year with lots and lots of photos. I sure hope I can find this when I go there in a few weeks. If not, it will be my first trip there ever without bringing it home.

sinead

DW and I are voracious readers and book store love to see us coming in the doors because we never leave without a bag full of new reads. Unfortunately book stores are closing down because the demand for books by the new generations and others that live on their phones and computers, find it easier to download books to read on their devices at their leisure. (Libraries are also seeing less numbers of visitors who take out books as well.) I can imagine Disney may have seen a down turn in their book sales and therefore are scaling back on whats on the shelves??
One of my fave places was the Writer's Stop at MGM/HS...I'd sit for an hour, browse thru the books & enjoy a cool drink while fam did TOT, etc... It was my 'library' every trip. I still have unopened cards & stationary they sold, often at great discount, that I didn't find elsewhere in the parks. 📚 ✍️🤗😞

JIMINYCR

One of my fave places was the Writer's Stop at MGM/HS...I'd sit for an hour, browse thru the books & enjoy a cool drink while fam did TOT, etc... It was my 'library' every trip. I still have unopened cards & stationary they sold, often at great discount, that I didn't find elsewhere in the parks. 📚 ✍️🤗😞
It was a fav of ours too. Its too bad they closed and didnt relocate to another spot. We enjoyed some of the snack items they offered as well.

World_Showcase_Lover007

It’s the same reason why there is a lack of attraction specific merch. Every square inch of retail space is tracked for how much sales it generates. If a product doesn’t produce as much money as something else, it is replaced. It’s why you see nothing but the same generic merch in every single shop.

Even if selling books makes money for Disney, they’ll find something that makes MORE money and go with that. It’s sad but these ppl only see spreadsheets and dollars, nothing else.

DfromATX

Not in my area.

The pandemic did have an impact. For a while, people shifted to e-books. Demand for e-books went crazy, and now our library offers more e-books than they did a few years ago.

I regularly walk past several local libraries though, and they are thoroughly back to being busy. People are once again comfortable sitting at the reading tables reading paper books. I don't work there, but the library looks like it is now as busy as it ever was, perhaps even busier.

Then again, my local libraries are very proactive and offer much more than books. One even has 3D printers! The children's areas are especially popular. They offer meeting space for all sorts of community groups, and there is a never-ending stream of events.

On top of that, two of them had massive renovations in the last 5 years. They are just truly state-of-the art beautiful buildings with lots of big windows, art, natural light, etc. Groups are happy to use the free space(s).
I like to read, but I buy books online or at Half Price Books, so while I personally haven't been to an actual library in a while, I know in my town we have a fancy one. They renovated it a few years ago and it's really nice and even has electric car charging spots. My mom, who lives in another city, is retired and reads a lot. I think she said a book a week! Anyway, she goes to the library all the time. During the pandemic they had some kind of drive thru arrangement. She said they would pick out books for her (I guess based on what she likes) and she'd go pick them up all without having to get out of her car. So even in the midst of the pandemic, they were still there working - as most all city workers were doing. (Thanks to all essential workers out there!!)

DfromATX

They don't sell post cards anymore either. I used to buy one for each resort we stayed at for my souvenir. (Not for mailing to anyone - I have them on display in my office at work.) They haven't had any the last few times we've gone and I've had to make my own.

Cmdr_Crimson

If I recall didn't Disney's Wonderful World of Memories at DS sold books at one point? I recall purchasing a book there a few years ago or has that store just become a trinket and scrapbooking store now?

the.dreamfinder

I asked a manager about this once and they told me the company doesn’t like to stock books as they sell slower than other item categories and take up space in the stockrooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom