Question for Teachers

Disnut

Original Poster
If you have an ADD or ADHD student in your class can you tell if that student has missed his/her medicine for a day? Also can you tell if they have been off of it for the weekend?

My DD needs ADD med. and the doc said not to let her miss it at all. She will be taking Concerta. She did take Stratera and I let her miss on the weekends. The doc got upset at me for that. I did hear from another doc. that on these other meds. that they can miss the weekend and it could be taken only when needed during school.

I hope this makes sence.

Debbie

Disnut said:
If you have an ADD or ADHD student in your class can you tell if that student has missed his/her medicine for a day? Also can you tell if they have been off of it for the weekend?

My DD needs ADD med. and the doc said not to let her miss it at all. She will be taking Concerta. She did take Stratera and I let her miss on the weekends. The doc got upset at me for that. I did hear from another doc. that on these other meds. that they can miss the weekend and it could be taken only when needed during school.

I hope this makes sence.

yes they can tell. My son was on Concerta and any day he happened to miss; they noticed. My friends that are teachers hate it when their students come to school without having taken it. It really makes for a long day........

Disnut

Original Poster
Debbie said:
yes they can tell. My son was on Concerta and any day he happened to miss; they noticed. My friends that are teachers hate it when their students come to school without having taken it. It really makes for a long day........

Thanks. I was trying to save some money. Oh well. Not worth it then.

wdwhoneymooner

I've heard stories from family and close friends who are teachers (my sister-in-law, my best friend, my wife's best friend, plus a few others who we've known for over 20+ years) and they can definitely tell when children have been off of their medication. Better safe than sorry............

Disnut

Original Poster
I know this sounds kind of silly on a parents part but here it is: Now we well have to take DD to the doc once a month instead of once every 3 months and not get a mail order prescription. We have to go to the store. So that is $20.00 for the doc and at least $15 for the med. per month. Mail order for the med is $30.00 for 3 months. So I was trying to stretch it out.

I was trying to get opinons on this.

Nemo14

Susan, I can well understand your efforts to save money on this - medications can be very expensive, as can the doctor visits. But what's most important here is your daughter. You'll find the meds will help her to concentrate and tone down all those things that usually distract her. As a former teacher married to a teacher, I can tell you that it really does make a big difference, and is very noticable when the child has not taken them. As far as weekends and vacations go, I've heard varied opinions about this - some say it's best to keep the body in that routine, but others recommend a break from them. Follow your doctor's advise about this - he or she will know what works best for your child's situation.
As far as the doctor visits are concerned, talk to your doctor about it - explain that it is a financial hardship to you, and they just might cut you some slack.

maelstrom

Disnut said:
I know this sounds kind of silly on a parents part but here it is: Now we well have to take DD to the doc once a month instead of once every 3 months and not get a mail order prescription. We have to go to the store. So that is $20.00 for the doc and at least $15 for the med. per month. Mail order for the med is $30.00 for 3 months. So I was trying to stretch it out.

Sorry, your original post sounded like you were worried about getting in trouble by your child's teacher for not taking her medication. I'm a firm believer that that kind of thing is a personal family matter and is not up to a school or teacher to worry about. If your daughter did fine skipping the weekends on her last medication, I don't see any reason to change that now. Medication is so expensive these days, I don't blame you for wanting to save some money!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
This is always a delicate issue, but a teacher isn't the person to ask. Many meds have a "critical mass" that must be maintained to be effective. A lot of the problems with penicillin-resistant bacteria come from patients deciding they knew better than their Doctor and stopping the meds when they "felt" better. Ask your doctor why the meds are to be taken daily as opposed to just as a preparation for school. If "critical mass" is required, you could be harming your child by not maintaining a consistent dosage.

If cost is an issue, ask your Doctor if there's some relief available. I've seen Doctors fill complete prescriptions from pharmaceutical samples that they get for free if they thought the need was legitimate... No guarantees, but it never hurts to ask.

Disnut

Original Poster
Just wanted to get opinons. We will do what is best for our DD. I will be talking to the teachers in a couple of weeks and I will be continuely talking to the doc. Thanks for your opinons. Ya'll are great.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here...

As a teacher of children with Special Needs, primarily behavioral and emotional disorders, there is a VERY noticable difference when a child is on or off meds.

I completely understand the desire to save money. I myself have been known to take the every other day approach to medication to stretch it out.

However, when it comes to behavioral issues, continuity and consistency are the key. Mondays are going to be very rough if the childs therapeutic level of medication has not been kept over the weekend or school vacations. I have found with many kids, the quality of Monday kind of sets the tone for the rest of the week. If the kid totally blows their behavior plan on Monday, many think there is no hope for the rest of the week. :lol:

I am sure this is nothing you havent heard before. The one question I have remaining is, if your daughter is manageable during the weekend off her meds, have you considered trying a lower dose or discontinuing meds altogether. Many kids, especially girls, outgrow their ADHD as they get older.

Also, Strattera and Concerta/Ritalin/Metadate/Methylin (all the same thing) work very differently. Look here for some reputable, plain english info.... http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdrugprofiles/drugs/rit1383.shtml

Anywho, talk to your Dr. about cost. Often they have access to coupons and samples that they are more than happy to unload. Never hurts to ask. :wave:

Disnut

Original Poster
She has ADD. She doesn't like to write but she knows her work. She also doesn't distrub the class, just sits there and day dreams. We found out late in May that she was starting to pull her hair out a little at a time. We don't know if that was from the stress of school or side effect of Strattra.
BTW she is going into the 7th grade.

TiggerBW

Nemo14 said:
Susan, I can well understand your efforts to save money on this - medications can be very expensive, as can the doctor visits. But what's most important here is your daughter. You'll find the meds will help her to concentrate and tone down all those things that usually distract her. As a former teacher married to a teacher, I can tell you that it really does make a big difference, and is very noticable when the child has not taken them. As far as weekends and vacations go, I've heard varied opinions about this - some say it's best to keep the body in that routine, but others recommend a break from them. Follow your doctor's advise about this - he or she will know what works best for your child's situation.
As far as the doctor visits are concerned, talk to your doctor about it - explain that it is a financial hardship to you, and they just might cut you some slack.

I agree with you completely.
I am a teacher, and to answer your original question, yes we can tell because it usually effects the child's behavoir/performance in class. In the case of ADHD children (which I know your daughter is not) not only can the teacher usually tell, but the other children as well. Hope this helps! :wave:

Debbie

Disnut said:

The price I have to pay for 54mg of Concerta is $180.00 for 30 days. The price my son pays for not focusing, always having to be re-directed, and standing out because of all of the attention the teacher has to give him (negative) is not worth it for me to not get it.
My son is trying to go with out it as he wants to be normal; like the other kids. I'll give him until September 1 and see how he does. He has matured a great deal and we'll see.

Debbie

Disnut said:
She has ADD. She doesn't like to write but she knows her work. She also doesn't distrub the class, just sits there and day dreams. We found out late in May that she was starting to pull her hair out a little at a time. We don't know if that was from the stress of school or side effect of Strattra.
BTW she is going into the 7th grade.

This is exactly what my son does, except the hair thing. He will mutilate a pencil eraser, or poke holes in his shirts. My son is 14 going into the 7th grade. He is 6' tall and weighs 220lbs and a size 12 shoe. His size makes him stand out. I just want to get him through 7th and 8th and put him in Performance Based, which will allow him to graduate with his original class, partake in all Senior activities, and he can go to a trade school.
This school year is going to be very different. New school, new setting at home (with my separation), and with that he is now the 'man' of the house. His father, (my 1st husband), has told me that he had better not EVER see me cut the grass again. TJ WILL do it and for me to call him if he doesn't.........He is wanting our son to become more responsible, and this summer has had him getting up at 3am, three days a week, to work with him on his delivery route. So I think if TJ's dad and I can continue to work together; things should get better for TJ.

Disnut

Original Poster
Debbie said:
This is exactly what my son does, except the hair thing. He will mutilate a pencil eraser, or poke holes in his shirts. My son is 14 going into the 7th grade. He is 6' tall and weighs 220lbs and a size 12 shoe. His size makes him stand out. I just want to get him through 7th and 8th and put him in Performance Based, which will allow him to graduate with his original class, partake in all Senior activities, and he can go to a trade school.
This school year is going to be very different. New school, new setting at home (with my separation), and with that he is now the 'man' of the house. His father, (my 1st husband), has told me that he had better not EVER see me cut the grass again. TJ WILL do it and for me to call him if he doesn't.........He is wanting our son to become more responsible, and this summer has had him getting up at 3am, three days a week, to work with him on his delivery route. So I think if TJ's dad and I can continue to work together; things should get better for TJ.

My DD is very petite for 12 yrs old. At the docs. office she weighed 58.4 lbs and only 52.5 inches. She uses being small not to act her age. Her 10 yr old sister is more mature than her. We are working on that telling her it doesn't matter what size you are it matters on what you do with your life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom