Question about WL transportation

Corum

Greetings. First post . . .

My family and I are planning a trip for Nov 2004. Our first trip (Oct 2002), we stayed at the YC. This time we are considering the Wilderness Lodge (just want to try something different). After we spend all day in the parks, I usually go over to the World Showcase (especially during Food & Wine expo). The YC is very convenient to the WS. How convenient is it to get to the WS from the WL? How long does it take via launch/monorail? And can you get to the monorail from the WS, since I think Epcot closes before the WS during this time of year? Or will I have to take a bus? :animwink:

Bliff

We always rent a car, so I'm not sure how long it would take to get to Epcot from WL, but I do have a little info...

Yes, you can get to the monorail from WS at the end of the evening. Future World's attractions are closed, but it is still the main exit for the park all night. Be sure to check out the walkway with the tiny little lights in them that glow on and off.

Travelling to Epcot without a car would probably be quickest by bus rather taking the boat to MK and then taking a monorail to the TTC, then switching to the Epcot monorail there - the boat often goes to Ft. Wilderness, too, so that can add some additional time.

Also, be prepared to wait a long time if you're planning to take the boat from MK to WL at the end of the night. The boats are way too small to handle the crowds at that time, so unless you're right there when the park closes, you'd be just as well off to find a snack or just sit and people watch for a while before attempting to get on the boat.

Upvote 0
Personally, if WS is a park that you go to very often, then I would stick with an Epcot resort. We stayed at VWL and we loved it...but we know that staying at YC or BWV is our preference because of it's proximity to Epcot and MGM.

Transportation to and from parks from the WL could be 15-45 minutes by using WDW transportation......

Upvote 0

figmentfan

One of my favorite resorts on property!

But, the transportation to Magic Kingdom is bad. Either take a bus to the TTC, where you have to take a ferry or monorail to MK with the Parking Lot people, or take a small ferry to MK from WL which is a really nice trip. But, the boats can't handle the crowds of people. I had to wait an hour to get on the ferry from MK because of the crowds.

Timing is everything at Disney................

Upvote 0

MichRX7

Premium Member
We stay at FW which is on the same basic transportation system as WL.

Your best bet is to take the bus to TTC and the monorail down to Epcot. Well, your best bet is to drive to the boardwalk and hoof it over there. Everything else will be very slow.

There are also boats the run clockwise and counter-clockwise between FW, WL and the Contemporary. Just ask the captain if the boat is going to FW next and if so avoid it. Grab the one going to the Contemporary and jump on the monorail or walk over to the TTC and catch a bus to... No wait, nevermind. Just drive. ;)

Upvote 0

dizneeboy

The bus system at the WL is hit or miss. When we've stayed there, we have had no problems at all and the busses ran pretty frequently, but I've read horror stories about waiting quite a long time for a bus. If you have a rental car, its always the best bet if you don't mind paying to park (or have an annual pass for free parking). You can come and go as you please and will get back to your resort a whole lot quicker than riding back with all the crowds of weary park goers at night ; )

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We've never had a problem with WL transportation, though it does get crowded late at night. We use our own car for MGM or when we play mini golf. You don't have to pay for parking on site as long as your WL parking Pass is displayed on the dash.

Upvote 0
I've stayed at WL many times, and I've never had a problem with buses. But, I don't like the boats that take you to MK. They don't come as often as buses do and most of the time are very crowded, especially at night. I think that your best best(if you don't have a car) is to take the bus to EPCOT.

By the way, WL is one of my fav. resorts on property. Make sure to eat at the Whispering Canyon Cafe.
:wave:

Upvote 0

MichRX7

Premium Member
I was reading the posts about the boats being crowded, and yes they can be during busy season, etc... The one thing we always liked about the boats was when the kids still fit in the double-stroller you didn't have to fold it up to take them to MK. Just wheel them onto the boat.

We were always trying to grab kids and fold up the stroller and avoid smacking everyone's knees on the buses. I spent most of my time apologizing and then making sure we had all the kids.

Upvote 0

DisneyNme

For the past 3 trips to WDW, my family and I have gone in November/Early December, and very rarely did we have to wait in a line for a bus, even after the park closes. I hope the same for this year!! Ill be down there for Nov also! But this time im not with my family....Im with 10 of my friends! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Bliff

Free parking

If you have a rental car, its always the best bet if you don't mind paying to park (or have an annual pass for free parking).

You don't need an AP - parking is free for anyone staying at a WDW resort. Just show them your room key when you get to the gate.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Not So Bad

The suggestions here are good ones. One additional suggestion is to check in with the front desk or the concierge for their current suggestions on best connections. The biggest challenge is that most if not all busses run from resorts to parks and visa versa. You really can't travel from one resort to another without connection.

Upvote 0

dizneeboy

thanks for the correction and sorry for any confusion on that. Being an out of state AP holder, I saw it listed as a benefit and thought that was the only free parking available...sorry again ; )

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by dizneeboy
thanks for the correction and sorry for any confusion on that. Being an out of state AP holder, I saw it listed as a benefit and thought that was the only free parking available...sorry again ; )

No problem. That nice little parking pass you get at the gate comes in handy. :wave:

Upvote 0

phlydude

WL, my favorite resort!!

The best way over to Epcot is not take the bus or the boat that goes to the MK. The best (and least crowded) is the boat that goes between WL and Contemp. From there, you can take the monorail to the TTC and then on to Epcot.

Even though Future world "closes" earlier than WS, that only means the attractions are closed. You can easily make your way back to the resorts through FW via the monorail.

Have fun!!

Upvote 0

swimmom

We stay at WL all the time and we always go to Epcot by taking the boat to Contemporary and then the monorail to TTC then to Epcot. It may not be the fastest way, but we have fun getting there. We usually take the bus back to WL if it's late so that we don't get to the Contemporary to find out that the boat between the resorts are no longer running.

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

Originally posted by swimmom
We stay at WL all the time and we always go to Epcot by taking the boat to Contemporary and then the monorail to TTC then to Epcot. It may not be the fastest way, but we have fun getting there. We usually take the bus back to WL if it's late so that we don't get to the Contemporary to find out that the boat between the resorts are no longer running.

SWIMMOM and PHLYDUDE are right on! :sohappy:

I've stayed at the WL at least a dozen times and that's the way we do it too! It's the best of all worlds: The relaxing and scenic boat ride, combined with the excitement of the Contemporary and the Monorail to the TTC!

HAVE FUN!!!

:wave:

Upvote 0

Bill

Account Suspended
Hmm, excellent idea... never tried that. I wasn't even aware that the boat went to the Contemp. from the WL. I'll have to check it out next month. :)

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by Bill
Hmm, excellent idea... never tried that. I wasn't even aware that the boat went to the Contemp. from the WL. I'll have to check it out next month. :)

Its the small launch on the left side of the dock. We use this alot, great when you have PS at Chef Mickey's or want to hit the monorail. :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom