Question about ticket purchases for busy days

sublimesting

We have friends going over spring break for their first Disney trip. Yeah...I know. But my question is, they are staying off site and I told them about parks reaching capacity sometimes during these busy times and only guests who are staying at the resorts are admitted. She tells me that they bought their tickets for a specific date. Since I've never stayed off property I don't know the answer to this: Can you buy tickets for specific dates? And if so, what if park does reach capacity before you get there?

sublimesting

Original Poster
I've never heard of that and we've stayed off-site far more often than on-site. Where did she buy te tickets?
I really have no idea? They don't have the Ap. or anything. They have a 3 and 5 year old, are going for their first time on an Easter that is in early April.... I feel bad but this trip is doomed to failure. I don't even know where to begin to help them, their errors are so grievous.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

They have a 3 and 5 year old, are going for their first time on an Easter that is in early April....
Our first trip was over a two week Easter period. Our daughters were 5 and 2yrs at the time. Where is the issue ?

I feel bad but this trip is doomed to failure.
How so ? We had a great time, we knew nothing about the parks or dining reservations (Fast Pass wasn't invented) and we managed extremely well. We've been going back to the World ever since

I don't even know where to begin to help them, their errors are so grievous.
Try talking with them - firstly find out about the tickets they've bought. What errors have they made ?

Upvote 0

sublimesting

Original Poster
Our first trip was over a two week Easter period. Our daughters were 5 and 2yrs at the time. Where is the issue ?

How so ? We had a great time, we knew nothing about the parks or dining reservations (Fast Pass wasn't invented) and we managed extremely well. We've been going back to the World ever since

Try talking with them - firstly find out about the tickets they've bought. What errors have they made ?

Well when Easter falls on the first weekend of April or end of May it is the busiest time of the year traditionally. I don't have to tell you this but Disney now is a very different animal than it was even 10 years ago. The way Disney is now with Fast Pass, The My Disney Experience App, Dining Reservations being made 180 days in advance it has become a complex vacation. One that you aren't going to walk into on the busiest day of the year, unplanned and expect to ride all the greats, eat at a restaurant etc. Basically they planned nothing, reserved nothing and are waltzing into chaos with children expecting to meet Anna and Elsa, eat in the Castle and ride it all.... they're treating it like a day at a local amusement park.

Upvote 0

sublimesting

Original Poster
I know, I do have my work cut out for me. I told my wife "We'd be fine on that weekend, we know exactly what we're doing, how to make FPs and manage them and the lines and parks but them.....oh wow." Still a bit concerned about the tickets, they got them from some guy online I guess. Find out more later. I actually had a text from 2 different friends this morning, both going the same weekend....they know damn well we love to plan Disney trips and they both waited until the last minute.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Can you buy tickets for specific dates? And if so, what if park does reach capacity before you get there?

No, you cannot buy regular park tickets for specific dates; your friends are mistaken. Tickets to special events, like MNSSHP or MVMCP, are date specific.

Here is how the parks handle capacity:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/park-closing-phases.htm

You may want to give them a heads up on park closings. But from what you've said, they may ignore you anyway. :banghead:

Upvote 0

chipndale09

I find sometimes ignorance is bliss ;)

I remember our first time, we had not idea what we were doing, we managed to get some adr's (even Calif grill and Le Cellier..how lucky were we...hahaha)

But seriously, for first timers (at least for us), viewing the Castle for the first time is/was worth the price of admiision right there :)

Then, seeing our daughter smile and take photo op's, was an amazing moment. It almost seemed the rides were a bonus.

First year was a learning year and we been back ever since. I sometimes wish we could go back to that first time feeling, it seems we have become a little jaded "expecting stuff"

As friend I still would help them out a little, i would not inodate with advice..just give them pointers

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

You cannot buy them for a certain date, but as pointed out in the Phased closing page @Tuvalu linked to, having tickets does place them up a notch in terms of getting in if they start doing phase closings. Most days however, you can avoid worrying about phases closings simply by being in park at rope drop, or shortly there after and not planning on leaving the park.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

You cannot buy them for a certain date, but as pointed out in the Phased closing page @Tuvalu linked to, having tickets does place them up a notch in terms of getting in if they start doing phase closings. Most days however, you can avoid worrying about phases closings simply by being in park at rope drop, or shortly there after and not planning on leaving the park.
Having a ticket gets you nothing...you need to have some type of string attached..see below. This is the minimum requirement to get in.

Phase A Closing
No admission of guests with one day tickets, and no admission of guests even with FastPass+ reservations unless they have one of the following:

• WDW Resort Guests, including The Four Seasons Resort, Swan, Dolphin or Shades of Green, Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels arriving by bus (Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort Hotel, The Buena Vista Palace, DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel, B Resort, Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort, Hilton), Golden Oak residents and guests.
  • WDW Premier Passport, Annual & Premium Passholders
  • Guests with Park Hopper tickets re-entering or crossing over from another WDW Theme Park
  • Guests with Memory Maker
  • Guests with dining reservations
  • Magic Kingdom Guests with reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, Harmony Barber Shop or The Pirates League.

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

Even with the increased crowds, I've still had wonderful times over breaks, you just have to have patience and great planning. Here's hoping for the best, let us know how it goes...

And like so many other posters said, general admission tickets are not tied to days...

Upvote 0

Gaston's gal

I agree with chipndale09 not to innovate them with what they need to do and just give them a few pointers. I knew 2 families that went last Spring Break that had no idea what they were getting into. I wrote down 3-5 rides at each park to ride first & they had a great time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom