Question about the grand opening of WDW

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
Re: the grand opening of Walt Disney World, the Magic Kingdom opened on Friday October 1, 1971. Was this a free for all to the public or just to certain pre ticketed guests and VIPs?

I understand that Roy Disney didn't dedicate the MK and WDW until later on in October with Lillian Disney present.....now I have to ask....what day is the "Grand Opening" special with Julie Andrews and Bob Hope from? Was it filmed on October 1, 1971 or later on in October 1971 when Roy dedicated the resort? Also, when did this show premiere on television?

And....do we have a time as to when the MK opened in the morning on 10/1/71 and a time when Roy dedicated the park later on in October.

NYwdwfan

Re: the grand opening of Walt Disney World, the Magic Kingdom opened on Friday October 1, 1971. Was this a free for all to the public or just to certain pre ticketed guests and VIPs?

I understand that Roy Disney didn't dedicate the MK and WDW until later on in October with Lillian Disney present.....now I have to ask....what day is the "Grand Opening" special with Julie Andrews and Bob Hope from? Was it filmed on October 1, 1971 or later on in October 1971 when Roy dedicated the resort? Also, when did this show premiere on television?

And....do we have a time as to when the MK opened in the morning on 10/1/71 and a time when Roy dedicated the park later on in October.

Citing various internet sources (translation: take with a grain of salt):

MK was open to the public 10/1/1971. It had a soft opening from Labor Day thru 10/1 for staff, etc. 10,000 people showed up on 10/1 - and admission was $4.95. The official grand opening celebration and dedication was on 10/25/1971. I believe the special was recorded that day, but did not air until 10/29 (presented by Eastern Airlines on NBC). I could not find park hours for opening day.

cbettua

Citing various internet sources (translation: take with a grain of salt):

MK was open to the public 10/1/1971. It had a soft opening from Labor Day thru 10/1 for staff, etc. 10,000 people showed up on 10/1 - and admission was $4.95. The official grand opening celebration and dedication was on 10/25/1971. I believe the special was recorded that day, but did not air until 10/29 (presented by Eastern Airlines on NBC). I could not find park hours for opening day.

Wow! $4.95

NYwdwfan

Yeah - $4.95 got you the Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Robinson, Country Bears Jamboree, Dumbo, Teacups, Snow White, Carousel, Mr. Toad, Mickey Mouse Revue, Small World, Skyway, Hall of Presidents, Haunted Mansion & the Grand Prix and by 10/25 they had opened Peter Pan and 20,000 Leagues.

Not a bad bang for the buck!!

Wilt Dasney

Yeah - $4.95 got you the Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Robinson, Country Bears Jamboree, Dumbo, Teacups, Snow White, Carousel, Mr. Toad, Mickey Mouse Revue, Small World, Skyway, Hall of Presidents, Haunted Mansion & the Grand Prix and by 10/25 they had opened Peter Pan and 20,000 Leagues.

Not a bad bang for the buck!!

To be more precise, $4.95 got you admission to a park containing all those attractions. You still had to buy separate tickets to get on the rides back then. (But even throwing in the ticket books, it was still pretty cheap.)

Pioneer Hall

I believe the price to get in at the time was 3.75, but it only provided you with admission to the park and a few "free" attractions. Up until Epcot was built WDW operated under a ticket system just like Disneyland. So you paid 3.75 to get in to the park, but then you had to buys coupons (A-E) for each attraction that you wanted to ride as well. So while it seems cheap, you ended up paying a bit more to do things in the parks. When Epcot was opened the parks switched to a one price all day admission system and tickets cost 15 dollars (or about 33 dollars in todays world).

JafarMaleficent

I believe the price to get in at the time was 3.75, but it only provided you with admission to the park and a few "free" attractions. Up until Epcot was built WDW operated under a ticket system just like Disneyland. So you paid 3.75 to get in to the park, but then you had to buys coupons (A-E) for each attraction that you wanted to ride as well. So while it seems cheap, you ended up paying a bit more to do things in the parks. When Epcot was opened the parks switched to a one price all day admission system and tickets cost 15 dollars (or about 33 dollars in todays world).

i thought it wasn't until 1987 when they went to that? I'm probably wrong though.

MissM

i thought it wasn't until 1987 when they went to that? I'm probably wrong though.
Nope, it was much earlier then that. I went in 1984 and we just had three-day, two park park hoppers.

According to All Ears -
1980 was a year of transition for Disney tickets. Disney started selling 8 and 10 ride Adventure Books that had attraction coupons (tickets) that were good for any attraction in the Magic Kingdom to the general public. Gone were the individual "A" through "E" attraction tickets. Also discontinued by the end of the year was the 12 ride Adventure Books. Magic Kingdom Passports that included everything made their debut before the year was out.

And...
This was the year of Walt Disney World's Tencennial. By the end of 1981, the old coupon books were completely discontinued in favor of the new Passport system for everyone. For the first time, Disney begins allowing guests with left over old tickets to redeem them for credit towards the purchase of a new ticket.​

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep, passports (day tickets) began in 1980, and were the only media by the end of 1981, well ahead of the 2nd gate they were planned for.

I`ve a MK passport from May 1981.

I should be able to get specific info on openings and dedications when the jet lag goes away and I have more time.

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
found some more facts:

The MK opened to the public on Friday October 1, 1971 to the general public. Crowds were about 10,000 that day. By the end of October, over 400,000 guests had visited.

The MK was dedicated on Monday October 25, 1971. Roy Disney's dedication took place either in the morning or as the sun was setting due to the sharp and warm light coming down on Main Street and the long shadows. NBC filmed the "Grand Opening of Walt Disney World" on October 25 as well but did not include Roy's Dedication. The bulk of the NBC special was filmed on the 25th, was some sequences filmed on October 24. The marching band and chorus singing "When You Wished Upon a Star" with the release of thousands of colorful balloons happened in the afternoon of October 25th. I'm starting to think that Roy Disney dedicated the park and resort on the morning of the 25th with the bulk of events taking place throughout the rest of the afternoon, ending with the balloons around 3pm.

NBC aired the grand opening of walt disney world on Friday, October 29th.

NYwdwfan

I was thinking on initial opening it was a blanket price and then the ticket books came later (followed by the passports, etc.). Funny how the mind plays tricks when trying to remember things (I was pretty young the first trip - I guess my mom had the ticket books and all I was responsible for was not getting myself lost! - Oh - and keeping my arms and legs in the ride vehicle at all times and stepping out to the left (please!!))

NYwdwfan

Probably more info than anyone cares to read:

1971Magic Kingdom Theme Park opened on October 1, 1971. Adult:$3.50General AdmissionJunior (12-17):$2.50General AdmissionChild (3-11):$1.00General Admission Adult:$4.50-$4.757 Adventure BookJunior (12-17):$4.00-$4.257 Adventure BookChild (3-11):$3.50-$3.757 Adventure Book Adult:$4.759 Adventure Magic Key Ticket Book (available to Magic Kingdom Club members only) included use of Walt Disney World Transportation for one day, Magic Kingdom admission and 9 attractions in the park.Junior (12-17):$4.259 Adventure Magic Key Ticket Book (available to Magic Kingdom Club members only) included use of Walt Disney World Transportation for one day, Magic Kingdom admission and 9 attractions in the park.Child (3-11): 9 Adventure Magic Key Ticket Book (available to Magic Kingdom Club members only) included use of Walt Disney World Transportation for one day, Magic Kingdom admission and 9 attractions in the park. Adult:$5.7511 Adventure BookJunior (12-17):$5.2511 Adventure BookChild (3-11):$4.7511 Adventure Book A Tickets$.10Additional ride ticketsB Tickets$.25Additional ride ticketsC Tickets$.50Additional ride ticketsD Tickets$.75Additional ride ticketsE Tickets$.90Additional ride tickets Adult:$6.50Guided Tour - Enjoy a guided tour of the MK, 3.5 hour walking tour and 5 attractions plus admission to 2 othersChild (3-11):$3.75Guided Tour - Enjoy a guided tour of the MK, 3.5 hour walking tour and 5 attractions plus admission to 2 others

Chezman1399

If you like that, I'm pretty sure Disneyland admission was $1 on opening day just 16 years earlier. I wonder if the $4.95 felt like "highway robbery" to people who had been to DL's opening. :lol:

True but at least WDW had toilets AND water fountains on opening day, along with tar that was completely set on Main Street. DL only had toilets because of a plumbers strike, so that's worth at least $3

TP2000

Probably more info than anyone cares to read:

1971Magic Kingdom Theme Park opened on October 1, 1971. Adult:$3.50General AdmissionJunior (12-17):$2.50General AdmissionChild (3-11):$1.00General Admission Adult:$4.50-$4.757 Adventure BookJunior (12-17):$4.00-$4.257 Adventure BookChild (3-11):$3.50-$3.757 Adventure Book Adult:$4.759 Adventure Magic Key Ticket Book (available to Magic Kingdom Club members only) included use of Walt Disney World Transportation for one day, Magic Kingdom admission and 9 attractions in the park.Junior (12-17):$4.259 Adventure Magic Key Ticket Book (available to Magic Kingdom Club members only) included use of Walt Disney World Transportation for one day, Magic Kingdom admission and 9 attractions in the park.Child (3-11): 9 Adventure Magic Key Ticket Book (available to Magic Kingdom Club members only) included use of Walt Disney World Transportation for one day, Magic Kingdom admission and 9 attractions in the park. Adult:$5.7511 Adventure BookJunior (12-17):$5.2511 Adventure BookChild (3-11):$4.7511 Adventure Book A Tickets$.10Additional ride ticketsB Tickets$.25Additional ride ticketsC Tickets$.50Additional ride ticketsD Tickets$.75Additional ride ticketsE Tickets$.90Additional ride tickets Adult:$6.50Guided Tour - Enjoy a guided tour of the MK, 3.5 hour walking tour and 5 attractions plus admission to 2 othersChild (3-11):$3.75Guided Tour - Enjoy a guided tour of the MK, 3.5 hour walking tour and 5 attractions plus admission to 2 others

The old ticket prices are fascinating. Adjusted for inflation, you can see how quickly people today would complain if they paid the inflation adjusted rates in 2010;

Adult Park Admission $3.50 = $18.50 in 2010
9 Attraction Ticket Book $4.75 = $23.50 in 2010
Haunted Mansion E Ticket 90 Cents = $4.75 in 2010
Country Bear Jamboree E Ticket 90 Cents = $4.75 in 2010
It's A Small World E Ticket 90 Cents = $4.75 in 2010
Hall of Presidents E Ticket 90 Cents = $4.75 in 2010
Grand Prix Raceway D Ticket 75 Cents = $3.95 in 2010
Snow White's Adventures C Ticket 50 Cents = $2.65 in 2010
Peter Pan's Flight C Ticket 50 Cents = $2.65 in 2010

It added up quickly when you started going on rides. :lol:

NYwdwfan

I'd pay $4.75 to ride 20,000 Leagues today! :(

Those ticket books were a nightmare. We always spent the last hour or so in MK riding the carousel because those were the only tickets we had left.

My mom STILL talks about the time someone was leaving the park and gave us their unused ticket books - 4 of them - and the E's were still in there. SCORE!

mrtoad

Yep, passports (day tickets) began in 1980, and were the only media by the end of 1981, well ahead of the 2nd gate they were planned for.

I`ve a MK passport from May 1981.

I should be able to get specific info on openings and dedications when the jet lag goes away and I have more time.

Correct me if I am wrong. You could use either tickets or the passports at first right. I remember going and the passports had a string on them so you could tie around your neck or around a button on your shirt to show you did not need tickets for rides. They used to have stamp off each day you used.

mrtoad

I'd pay $4.75 to ride 20,000 Leagues today! :(

Those ticket books were a nightmare. We always spent the last hour or so in MK riding the carousel because those were the only tickets we had left.

My mom STILL talks about the time someone was leaving the park and gave us their unused ticket books - 4 of them - and the E's were still in there. SCORE!

When we were kids my parents always only had to buy the admission tickets and occasional 1 off tickets. Older people would come up to my parents all the time saying they were leaving that day and did not think they would ever make it back and give them their tickets. I used to collect all maps and tickets and whatnot when I was a kid (which disappeared at some point when when I moved) and I had a huge envelope filled with tickets we never got to use. We always had tons...

Wilt Dasney

Correct me if I am wrong. You could use either tickets or the passports at first right. I remember going and the passports had a string on them so you could tie around your neck or around a button on your shirt to show you did not need tickets for rides. They used to have stamp off each day you used.
I bet that was an interesting situation. We talk about how people in Stand-by frown at people in FastPass when anybody can get one for free. I wonder if people still using the ticket books resented the people who could afford to buy the "fancy" ticket that let you on any ride you wanted. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom