Question about southwest

sueybee

I'm a tad confused on how this airline works, I know many people on this board use them, so I thought I would ask my question here :)
When you use Southwest, can you still use Magical Express? If you can how does it work with them? Thanks to all in advance! Have a magical day :wave:

Jessie&Buzz

I used it for the first time in Dec. I really liked them. 24 hours before your flight time you need to go to their site and print your boarding pass. You will be assigned to a group when boarding. Once you check in at the airport you get in line with that group (they are letters A, B, C etc).

You can use Magical Express no matter what airline you use. You will receive yellow tags to put on your luggage. DME will pick up your luggage after it's taken off the plane. All you will need to do is go to the DME counter and check in. They will bring your luggage to your room (within 3 hours). If you have a late night flight, you can either get your luggage yourself or pack what you need in your carryon luggage (make sure liquids are in 3 oz containers inside a ziplock bag).

Hope this helps. I'm sure others can add to what I've said. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I'm a tad confused on how this airline works, I know many people on this board use them, so I thought I would ask my question here :)
When you use Southwest, can you still use Magical Express? If you can how does it work with them? Thanks to all in advance! Have a magical day :wave:
All airlines that fly into Orlando (MCO) participate in Magical Express. What may be confusing you is the other service that Disney offers, called "Resort Airline check-in Service, which allows guests at a WDW resort flying on certain airlines to check their bags for their return flight right at the resort rather than at the airport. At this time, Southwest does not participate in this. I hope this clarifies it for you. We fly Southwest often, and we love it!

Upvote 0

sueybee

Original Poster
Yes Nemo14, You hit it right on the mark because the Resort Airline check-in Service is what is throwing me off! Not to sound stupid here, but does that mean when I am traveling back home, I have to take the luggage with me in the bus and check it all in when I reach the airport?... Oh the confusion :hammer:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Yes Nemo14, You hit it right on the mark because the Resort Airline check-in Service is what is throwing me off! Not to sound stupid here, but does that mean when I am traveling back home, I have to take the luggage with me in the bus and check it all in when I reach the airport?... Oh the confusion :hammer:
Yes you do.They'll store your luggage underneath the bus, and drop it off with you at the Southwest stop. I'm pretty sure they're are carts available to rent right there, or you could check them at the curb if you want.

Upvote 0

sueybee

Original Poster
Ok now that I have the grasp of it, which is much appreciated, just one more question to go!

If I use Southwest and book through disney.com do I have to contact them with my flight information?

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Ok now that I have the grasp of it, which is much appreciated, just one more question to go!

If I use Southwest and book through disney.com do I have to contact them with my flight information?
I would imagine so in order for them to do your ME reservation. However, if you haven't booked your flight yet (I know SW limits how far ahead you can book), you can contact them with the information later. I would suggest that you call them rather than use the website to book. I've heard too many horror stories from people who have booked online (they try to default you into premium hotel rooms, extra tickets, etc.) Good luck and have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Heatherbell

I am flying Southwest in September. I have flown Southwest my last 4 times to WDW. Like another poster stated go online midnight the night before and print out your boarding passes. SW will then let you know if you are a A B or C. I don't know if you are aware but SW does not assign seats, it is on a first come first serve basis. When you get to the airport you go into the line that you have been assigned to (A B C etc) from that point on you board the plans and sit where you want. Tip: get there early SW can get absolutely packed and you and your party can end up split up. You can use ME however you cannot use the resort check in. And yes, you need to go to the Disney.com website and register for your ME. It will ask you your flight info, times etc. In a few weeks you should receive your luggage tags.
I really like SW. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I am flying Southwest in September. I have flown Southwest my last 4 times to WDW. Like another poster stated go online midnight the night before and print out your boarding passes. SW will then let you know if you are a A B or C. I don't know if you are aware but SW does not assign seats, it is on a first come first serve basis. When you get to the airport you go into the line that you have been assigned to (A B C etc) from that point on you board the plans and sit where you want. Tip: get there early SW can get absolutely packed and you and your party can end up split up. You can use ME however you cannot use the resort check in. And yes, you need to go to the Disney.com website and register for your ME. It will ask you your flight info, times etc. In a few weeks you should receive your luggage tags.
I really like SW. Hope this helps!
It needn't be midnight to print your boarding pass - just 24 hours before. So if you have a 9 am flight Saturday morning, you can print your boarding pass at 9 am Friday morning.

Upvote 0

Heatherbell

It needn't be midnight to print your boarding pass - just 24 hours before. So if you have a 9 am flight Saturday morning, you can print your boarding pass at 9 am Friday morning.

Hmm, interesting. I haven't flown SW in a year and the last time I did you could only check in midnight the night before. Good to know since that when you check in online depends on what zone you are in. Thanks!

Upvote 0

bhg469

Southwest rubs me the wrong way. I cannot see the beneft of seating people like this. Some people thing disney treats people like cattle for their attractions but soutwest made me feel more like a bovine than anything. I never felt more like traveling with a discount airline more than flying with them. My last trip i went with jet blue and paid the same price. The only difference was i had a layover in NYC and arrived 2 hours later than i normally would have if iwent with southwest on a direct flight.

Upvote 0

Heatherbell

The seating is pretty annoying, I cannot understand why they just don't assign seats. That being said I will forever fly SW as long as they keep offering $49 each way. The last few times I have flown to Orlando thats what I paid. SO cheap!!! Unfortunately we fly from Bradley Airport which does not offer Jet Blue, we'd have to drive to NY or Boston to take Jet Blue.

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

I like SW seating actually. We just had a flight to CA on another airline that we booked back in March. DH went before me but we were flying home on the same airline and flights. He tried for 6 months to save his seat, never worked. We went to check in and the airline had to request someone to give up their seat so my husband would be able to have a seat, they oversold the flight, my husband ended up at the front of the plane and I was all the way in the back with our son. Then on the next leg we were actually able to get seats together, but there were many families that were split up, and so they were trying to rearrange passengers to get the families together.

SW we can preboard since we have a baby now. We use to check in as soon as possibly allowed so we get A seating, then we get up to stand in the line usually as soon as the 2nd - 3rd person gets in line.

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

I'll join in the Southwest seating discussion. I'm sure I've told this story before, but about 4 years ago (before online check in) we left WDW, checked in and ended up in the last group. Add that to a gate change while we were all waiting at the first gate in line, my son having to use the bathroom on the way to the new gate, and we literally ended up being the last people in the last group.

They only let families with children under 5 preboard. I was alone with my ds who was 9 and my dd who was barely 6. I double checked and they wouldn't let us preboard. That was okay, I'd follow the rules. I was furious as I listened to them make announcement after announcement about the rules, and then preboard familiy after family with no children under 5.

When we got to the front, the flight attendant informed me there wouldn't be any seats left for us to sit together. I was so angry by that time, I lost it a little. I could not believe they would allow a 6 year old to sit alone. If you've got a 6 year old, imagine them alone on a 3 hour flight, sitting next to heaven knows who.

I pointed out how many families had not followed the rules and how ridiculous it was to expect this little girl to sit alone. He was nice and said he might be able to save the back row. I told him I could care less how far back in the plane we were, I just wanted to sit with my children!!!

He literally ran down the jetway to the front of the line and got them to save the last row for us.

That same flight I saw a passenger treated worse then I have ever seen in my life by a flight attendant and to this day I regret not reporting it. I guess I was just afraid at that point that I'd used up my "angry customer" allowance for the day.:lookaroun

Sorry for the rant, that memory gets me worked up!!:lol:

I still fly southwest, and I check in online as early as possible.:)

Upvote 0

Jessie&Buzz

Can you preboard if your child is mentally handi-cap such as ADHD or Autism?

I'm not sure what the guidelines are. There was a family with a mentally handicap child who boarded with the under 5 families when we were coming home in Dec. Maybe if you have a paper from the dr stating exactly what the problem was. My neighbor's son has Autism. When they went to Kings Island in OH they got a paper from his dr to take. They were allowed to get on rides through the handicap entrance instead of standing in lines which he can't handle.

Your best bet would be to call them.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I recently flew Southwest for the first time, though not to Orlando. Count me among those who don't like it. I don't understand the logic of not assigning seats- what benefit is there to having people herded like cattle on an airplane? Beyond that, many people don't follow the rules, and the staff at the counter didn't seem to care- I saw lots of families with children much older than 5 in the pre-board line. On top of that, two families were fit to be tied when they got on the plane (in group C) and found out they couldn't sit together. They were literally demanding that the flight attendants force other people to move so they could sit together. I understand their predicament, but when you fly this airline, you have to understand that this is a possibility, unless you check in as soon as you can.

When I am flying alone, it doesn't bother me so much. However, if I were flying with family or a group, I would opt for assigned seating.

Upvote 0

Rob562

I recently flew Southwest for the first time, though not to Orlando. Count me among those who don't like it. I don't understand the logic of not assigning seats- what benefit is there to having people herded like cattle on an airplane? Beyond that, many people don't follow the rules, and the staff at the counter didn't seem to care- I saw lots of families with children much older than 5 in the pre-board line. On top of that, two families were fit to be tied when they got on the plane (in group C) and found out they couldn't sit together. They were literally demanding that the flight attendants force other people to move so they could sit together. I understand their predicament, but when you fly this airline, you have to understand that this is a possibility, unless you check in as soon as you can.

When I am flying alone, it doesn't bother me so much. However, if I were flying with family or a group, I would opt for assigned seating.

I guess you can count me in the category of "doesn't mind" Southwest's open seating policy. (I don't like it, I don't dislike it, I just don't mind it).

Southwest has open seating because it allows for a faster turn-around time for the airplane. Even if you load a plane in zones from the back to the front, you're still subject to passengers' ability/in-ability to actually *read* their ticket to see where they're sitting, *listen* for when their row/zone is called and then actually *find* that row and seat once on the plane.

Going by the number of people I encountered at Fenway Park last weekend who couldn't find their way around even though there's large numbers over each section, large row letters painted on each step and then the actual seat number painted right on the seats, I'm sure it takes a while to get people onto a plane with assigned seating. On Southwest, just about anyone who's been to a movie theater understands the concept of "take any open seat", and can read the giant A, B or C on their boarding pass.

There's also other benefits to the open seating. For one, if you're in the later boarding groups and you only have center seats left to choose from, you at least can CHOOSE who you're going to be stuck sitting in-between. With assigned seating, if you have a 350-pound woman on one side and a 350-pound man on the other and you're assigned the seat in between them.... (Of course, if you're the very LAST person to board on an utterly full Southwest flight, you're kinda stuck anyway)

(And now for the potential flame war ignition...) There's also an art to trying to keep the center seat next to you open on a non-full Southwest flight. (Note I said *non* full flight) Sit in the window seat and just look grumpy, even if you're happy beyond all happiness to be flying to Orlando. Make yourself appear like you're not someone that you'd want to sit next to, and often the others looking for seats will look for a different center seat with a more amiable-looking neighbor. :animwink: You could go a little extreme and lay your jacket, book or magazine on the center seat to make it look like it's occupied or being saved. (Though if I go to that level I *always* say that it's open if asked)

Lastly, the beneift of having all the families with little kids pre-board is that almost all of the pre-boards grab seats in the front 1/3 of the plane. So when I'm getting on a Southwest flight, I just walk at least 2/3 of the way back to the nice kid-free area of the plane and take a seat, knowing I won't have a screaming kid in my ear or a foot kicking my seat the entire flight. :D

Oh, and Southwest did a trial program out of one city (I want to say San Diego) where they tried assigning seats. Not sure how it went, but the president of SWA said that they would only go to assigned seating if it didn't hinder their ability to have a fast turn-around.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom