Question about One Time Use Points

Wngo905

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Hello All,
We just signed the contract for a resale that will close early next year. The contract has some points to use before the next Use Year (banked from 2017 into 2018) and does not have full points for the 2019 Use Year (if that makes sense). The plan, if this is possible, is to buy the 24 One Time Use Points for a quick trip 2019 Summer and then again for the 2019 Use Year for a Christmas trip.

First, I do believe this is possible (as we would be doing it for separate Use Years). Please let me know if I am misunderstanding.

Second and most importantly, HOW do I book the December trip in March and then add on the One Time Use Year points when I reach 7-months out? In other words, what are your suggestions on best way to accomplish a booking with One Time points at the most busiest time of the year:)

Home will be AKL and we plan to stay at AKL at Christmas. (summer trip we will book any availability which we understand could be AKL but will probably be OKW or Saratoga, we have stayed at all three before renting points).

Thanks in advance :)

nickys

Premium Member
Hello All,
We just signed the contract for a resale that will close early next year. The contract has some points to use before the next Use Year (banked from 2017 into 2018) and does not have full points for the 2019 Use Year (if that makes sense). The plan, if this is possible, is to buy the 24 One Time Use Points for a quick trip 2019 Summer and then again for the 2019 Use Year for a Christmas trip.

First, I do believe this is possible (as we would be doing it for separate Use Years). Please let me know if I am misunderstanding.

Second and most importantly, HOW do I book the December trip in March and then add on the One Time Use Year points when I reach 7-months out? In other words, what are your suggestions on best way to accomplish a booking with One Time points at the most busiest time of the year:)

Home will be AKL and we plan to stay at AKL at Christmas. (summer trip we will book any availability which we understand could be AKL but will probably be OKW or Saratoga, we have stayed at all three before renting points).

Thanks in advance :)

What is the use year of your contract?

I’m struggling to make sense of it without the use year!

nickys

Premium Member
Are you confusing Use Year with calendar year?

With a December use year, which I have, the current points are 2017 points. Each set of points is added at the end of the year for use during the following calendar year.

So 2017 points were added 1st Dec 2017, and can be used for a reservation up until 30th Nov 2018.

So when you say no 2018 points, is that what you actually mean? No points to be added this December?

Since you say you won’t be closing until early 2019, I’m assuming that’s because they’ve booked a stay for December, possibly having borrowed the 2019 points. That is a seriously stripped contract if that’s the case. And they must have cancelled or somehow changed a reservation if they’ve banked some points already but also borrowed some.

However, it does make me wonder if you have got the use year confused.

EOD K9

Are you trying to make a reservation without enough points in the bank and enough to buy? You need to have all the points needed to make the reservation at the time of reservation. That is, if I am reading that correctly.

nickys

Premium Member
Are you trying to make a reservation without enough points in the bank and enough to buy? You need to have all the points needed to make the reservation at the time of reservation. That is, if I am reading that correctly.

I read this as they had enough points for some of the nights but not the full amount.

The bes5 thing might be to book what you can, and hope to book the rest at 7 months. I would book a back-up cash stay just in case you can’t get what you want at 7 months. You could see if they have a cash discounted rate through Member Services, or book a moderate or value resort.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In this case your use year goes from Dec 1, 2018 to Nov 30 2019 (call it your 2019 use year). You are allowed to buy 24 one time use points per use year. You cannot transfer, bank or borrower one time use points so you can’t buy 24 points for the next use year (2020) and use them in 2019, however you can borrow 24 of your regular 2020 points for the Christmas 2019 trip and then buy 24 one time use points some time in 2020 which gets you to the same place. It also solves your problem of waiting for 7 months. You can book your home resort using borrowed points at 11 months.

Wngo905

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Are you confusing Use Year with calendar year?

With a December use year, which I have, the current points are 2017 points. Each set of points is added at the end of the year for use during the following calendar year.

So 2017 points were added 1st Dec 2017, and can be used for a reservation up until 30th Nov 2018.

So when you say no 2018 points, is that what you actually mean? No points to be added this December?

Since you say you won’t be closing until early 2019, I’m assuming that’s because they’ve booked a stay for December, possibly having borrowed the 2019 points. That is a seriously stripped contract if that’s the case. And they must have cancelled or somehow changed a reservation if they’ve banked some points already but also borrowed some.

However, it does make me wonder if you have got the use year confused.

Okay, this is a confusing scenario I am asking about and do understand it is probably not clear. I will try and clear this up.
To confirm, the Use Year is December. The current owner banked some 2017 points into 2018. I understand that I have to use these 2017 banked points before December 1, 2019, correct? The 2018 (points coming on December 1, 2018, not received yet) are extremely low (like less than 10). There will be more points coming December 1, 2019 but not the full amount.
Yes, they have a trip scheduled for February 2019 (so we can't close until after then.) Why they did not use the 2017 banked points I have no idea.

So the questions are (a) can I buy some One Time Use points to add to the 2017 I have to use before Dec 1, 2019 for the Summer 2019 trip AND (b) then buy some One Time Use points to add to the points that are coming Dec 1, 2019. Second part: in March 2019, how do I do book a trip for December 2019 and then add the One time use points to that trip? I am assuming I might have to book most of the December stay and then add a night or two on the front or back end of the already booked December trip (if I can get it at same resort or have to split stay)

Hope that was not clear as mud:)

And thanks for your help.

Wngo905

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
In this case your use year goes from Dec 1, 2018 to Nov 30 2019 (call it your 2019 use year). You are allowed to buy 24 one time use points per use year. You cannot transfer, bank or borrower one time use points so you can’t buy 24 points for the next use year (2020) and use them in 2019, however you can borrow 24 of your regular 2020 points for the Christmas 2019 trip and then buy 24 one time use points some time in 2020 which gets you to the same place. It also solves your problem of waiting for 7 months. You can book your home resort using borrowed points at 11 months.

Okay, I think this addresses my (b). So what you saying is that I could not buy 24 points in May 2019 to use for Christmas 2019 because it would be before the start of my Use Year (December 1, 2019) but I would have to buy them December 1, 2019 to use a couple weeks later (which the availability is never going to happen, lol) I will just borrow from the next for the Christmas trip:)

nickys

Premium Member
Okay, I think this addresses my (b). So what you saying is that I could not buy 24 points in May 2019 to use for Christmas 2019 because it would be before the start of my Use Year (December 1, 2019) but I would have to buy them December 1, 2019 to use a couple weeks later (which the availability is never going to happen, lol) I will just borrow from the next for the Christmas trip:)

No. That’s not what he was saying. I think he was also confused!

You can buy one time use points at 7 months.

I think you can buy them for both trips. The summer trip is in your 2018 use year, the Christmas trip is in your 2019 use year.

However, you need to book the Christmas trip at 11 months. I would just borrow points for that one, and buy the OTUPs in your 2020 use year if you need them. I think someone already said that, so I agree with them!

nickys

Premium Member
Okay, this is a confusing scenario I am asking about and do understand it is probably not clear. I will try and clear this up.
To confirm, the Use Year is December. The current owner banked some 2017 points into 2018. I understand that I have to use these 2017 banked points before December 1, 2019, correct? The 2018 (points coming on December 1, 2018, not received yet) are extremely low (like less than 10). There will be more points coming December 1, 2019 but not the full amount.
Yes, they have a trip scheduled for February 2019 (so we can't close until after then.) Why they did not use the 2017 banked points I have no idea.

So the questions are (a) can I buy some One Time Use points to add to the 2017 I have to use before Dec 1, 2019 for the Summer 2019 trip AND (b) then buy some One Time Use points to add to the points that are coming Dec 1, 2019. Second part: in March 2019, how do I do book a trip for December 2019 and then add the One time use points to that trip? I am assuming I might have to book most of the December stay and then add a night or two on the front or back end of the already booked December trip (if I can get it at same resort or have to split stay)

Hope that was not clear as mud:)

And thanks for your help.

OK. I think I got it! See my reply below then. :)

Wngo905

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

I think you can buy them for both trips. The summer trip is in your 2018 use year, the Christmas trip is in your 2019 use year.

However, you need to book the Christmas trip at 11 months. I would just borrow points for that one, and buy the OTUPs in your 2020 use year if you need them. I think someone already said that, so I agree with them!

Yes, Summer is 2018 use year and Christmas is in 2019 use year :)

Unfortunately, I won't be able to book Christmas right at 11 months :( I will be the owner late February but it will be several weeks before I am in Disney's system. But believe me, I will start calling them when I get that first letter from Disney congratulating me, and continue until I can find someone to get me my member number:)

note2001

When points are mucked up like this, can't one just ask a (good) member services CM to reallocate the points accordingly?
If so, I'd ask the current owner to have MS reallocate those 2017 banked points into their February trip, freeing up some of the current points I'm assuming they're using (unless their trip is all banked and borrowed points).

GoofGoof

Premium Member

This^

If you want to book for Christmas week your best bet at getting what you want is to book at 11 months at your home resort using points from the next use year. I misspoke when I said borrowed originally since your use year restarts 12/1 you don’t need to borrow for 12/19 it would just be using points from that use year and you could book the room as soon as your contract settles.

If you don’t care where you stay you should have no problem getting something right at the 7 month window too and then you could buy one time use points if you wanted to save your regular points for some reason.

One last option you could consider is renting the points instead of buying them from DVC. The one time points cost $17 which is around what the rental rate is going for. It’s some extra paperwork but another option and you can get an owner to book for you prior to the 7 mo th window opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom