Question About Going to Disney World Around December/Christmas

Hey everyone!

I posted a similar topic on this a few months back, but am curious for more opinions as I really need to know in order to plan my vacation.

We are scheduled to go to WDW on May 4th. We are now, though, truly interested in going around Christmas time. We've been to WDW a bunch of times, but have never been there for Christmas. We'd like to see the parades, lights, decorations, etc. But we are seriously conerned about how fun it'll be to go in December if the parks are PACKED.

So here are my questions to you:

1) What are the best weeks in December to go? We were thinking either the week of Christmas (4th week in December), or the week before (3rd week in December).

2) How are the crowd volumes? How are the wait times for attractions--even lesser beloved attractions? How hard is it to find places to eat at restaurants? Or finding places to watch the parade? I know you have to be at Fantasmic a good hour or two for good seats, for example. I can't imagine how it is in December.

3) How is the second week in December? We are also considering going maybe from mid 2nd week to mid 3rd week in December? How would you compare the crowd volumes, roughly, in all the December weeks, especially the last two.

4) How's the weather in December? And are there more, specialized Christmas shows in December that you wouldn't be able to see in, say, May?

5) And lastly, is some of the fun of being in WDW in December tainted by extra crowds, more kids, longer lines, etc? I remember the days before Fast Pass, and Disney was still fun, but it was awful standing in line for, say, 90 minutes to get on a ride that lasted 3.

I also bring this up because, whenever we go, Magic Kingdom is PACKED. It often feels like wall to wall people. This isn't the case for the other parks. But, in December, is it like that for ALL the parks due to just so many people coming down to celebrate Christmas time?

Thanks for you opinions!!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Without a doubt, Christmastime is the best time of the year to visit WDW. When I first went, I couldn't believe what I was missing. I won't go into the details of what all is available, but peruse the following for a good overview:

http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/holiday.htm

As for when to go, I strongly suggest the first or second week in December. Crowds are light (a bit heavier on the weekends) and you can really take your time and enjoy yourself. The week between Christmas and New Year is one of the two most crowded weeks of the year (Easter week is the other). The week before Christmas is a bit better. If you don't like crowds, do not do these weeks. Magic Kingdom as you said is the worst, with it actually having admissions closed on some days due to volume.

Weather is fairly variable. Much cooler than the rest of the year, but you can still have days in the 70's or around 80, but the nights tend to be a bit chilly...some nights you even need hat/gloves/jacket. All in all, very doable.

Upvote 0

gbruenin

Things generally quiet down on the Monday following Thanksgiving, and picks up again about Dec 20th. In between, lines are quick, all the decorations are up, and you stand a chance to see the Christmas parade being filmed for TV...although it may not be North American TV. We've found temps can vary; sometimes warm enough to swim during the day, then low 50s/high 40s in the evening. But that beats Pennsylvania weather!. I think its probably the best time of year to be there...really puts me in the holiday mood. You shouldn't have any real 'spoilers' at that time.

Gary

Upvote 0

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
We have gone the 2nd week of Dec for the last three years. That is the best time to go because kids are still in school. The christmas decorations are put up in November some time so you don't have to wait until December.

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

I'm tentatively planning a trip for the 3rd week of December this year - working around DD's college winter break. Originally thought to leave on Saturday the 15th thru Thursday, but am now leaning more towards leaving on Sunday thru Friday, and skip most of the weekend. Still in the planning stages....:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

eroyee

:wave: First wk. of December you will run into the taping of the christmas parade at MK and all the POP warner kids and cheerleaders, etc. 2nd wk. is way better. we went last yr. from the 9-16 and it was really good till the 16th. started getting way busy. plus, the kids had left by the 10th. definitely, MVMCP is a must see and the osborne lights and all the decorations at the resorts. beautiful time to go.

Upvote 0

wdwforus

Go the week before at least, not the week of, trust me. The weather when we were there in Dec 05 was comfortable, I never wore pants, and the kids swam alot. I think we had one rainy morning but it cleared off by lunch. The couple of days leading up to Christmas were very nice, not crowded. The closer we got to New Years the crazier it got, I think MK even shut down a couple of days near the end of the year.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Go the week before at least, not the week of, trust me. The weather when we were there in Dec 05 was comfortable, I never wore pants, and the kids swam alot. I think we had one rainy morning but it cleared off by lunch. The couple of days leading up to Christmas were very nice, not crowded. The closer we got to New Years the crazier it got, I think MK even shut down a couple of days near the end of the year.

I'm surprised the CM's allowed you to get away with that...:ROFLOL:
*sorry, couldn't help myself*

Even the weekend when they are taping the parade, go past it and into the park proper...the rides are empty for hours! Also, the parade is interesting to see (for a while).

Pop Warner and cheerleaders are only really a problem if you are staying at All Star Resorts. They dilute pretty well in the parks with only an occasional cheering outburst.

Upvote 0

MacDuffieMuppet

personally the crowds around xmas time are terrible, but the holiday spirit is in full swing. i cant imagine beign anywhere else other than there for christmas. always visit the hotels and what not.

Upvote 0

LoriMistress

So here are my questions to you:

1) What are the best weeks in December to go? We were thinking either the week of Christmas (4th week in December), or the week before (3rd week in December).

2) How are the crowd volumes? How are the wait times for attractions--even lesser beloved attractions? How hard is it to find places to eat at restaurants? Or finding places to watch the parade? I know you have to be at Fantasmic a good hour or two for good seats, for example. I can't imagine how it is in December.

3) How is the second week in December? We are also considering going maybe from mid 2nd week to mid 3rd week in December? How would you compare the crowd volumes, roughly, in all the December weeks, especially the last two.

4) How's the weather in December? And are there more, specialized Christmas shows in December that you wouldn't be able to see in, say, May?

5) And lastly, is some of the fun of being in WDW in December tainted by extra crowds, more kids, longer lines, etc? I remember the days before Fast Pass, and Disney was still fun, but it was awful standing in line for, say, 90 minutes to get on a ride that lasted 3.

I also bring this up because, whenever we go, Magic Kingdom is PACKED. It often feels like wall to wall people. This isn't the case for the other parks. But, in December, is it like that for ALL the parks due to just so many people coming down to celebrate Christmas time?

Thanks for you opinions!!

I would highly recommend not going to the parks from the 21st and beyond. It will be packed. The parks will close several times during Christmas day. If you do plan on going to WDW during Christmas/New Years, then I would suggest using TGM (tourguidemike) to assist you to planning your trip so your trip won't be miserable. Also, do NOT go to any of the parks on Christmas day. There will be extreme long lines for rides, food, gift shops, and waiting for the parades. I would recommend going to WDW around the first two weeks of December. Goind to WDW during Christmas/New Years is their BUSIEST SEASON OF ALL!!! Out of a scale of 1-5 it will be around 7. December weather will be from cold to around 70 degress...and there is some rain as well.

Upvote 0

PacMan2006

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

So you think that the 2nd week in Dec is probably the best option for that month? Crowds aren't too bad? Wait times are tolerable--for both regular standby and fast pass, right?

Secondly, what is MVMCP?

Upvote 0
We go to Disney every December and love it, it's one of the most magical times to visit... the parks are full of Christmas decorations, Christmas music and pure Christmas spirit. We only go within the first two weeks of December, as you get closer to Christmas the crowds are absolutley not tolerable. During the first few weeks in December the weather is great, anywhere from 70-80 in the day and can get down to 40-50 at night... hopefully warmer! We love getting tickets for Mickey's very merry Christmas party at MK (snowing on Main Street, Christmas parades, etc until midnight). We also love Epcot's candlelight processional that takes place every evening in December in the America Gardens theater with a different celebrity every few days narrorating the story of Christmas. We usually can get dinning reservations with no problems during this time of year. We usually never have to wait more than 10 minutes for a ride, unless it's a busy time of day. Hope this helps a little & have a great time!:xmas:

Upvote 0

DizFanatic

:xmas: HoHoHo! We went for our first Christmas visit in 2006. The first week of December. Crowds were extremely light. 1st Friday & Saturday of December is taping of the Cristmas Parade and celeb. performances.
Yes, the cheerleaders were there. Not much of a bother, except when they were cheering and trying to show off. The first few times it was cute, but it did get annoying after a while. It kind of breaks the mood of the perpetual Disney background music. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a party pooper, but it was excessive. When you here this stuff 15-20 times a day (or even more) or watching the Epcot fountain and the music is washed out by a cheer... well you get my point. Did it ruin the trip? Absolutely NOT! I'll take the cheers any day if it means that I'm in Disney World!!!
Do the MVMCP! It was lots of fun. You get a different parade and the Holiday Wishes fireworks! and a few cute shows & activities. The lines at the rides almost do not exist (at least when we were at MVMCP)

You can see our trip report & photos on our website if you like.

GO DURRING THE HOLIDAY SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Dagger

Without a doubt, Christmastime is the best time of the year to visit WDW. When I first went, I couldn't believe what I was missing. I won't go into the details of what all is available, but peruse the following for a good overview:

http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/holiday.htm

As for when to go, I strongly suggest the first or second week in December. Crowds are light (a bit heavier on the weekends) and you can really take your time and enjoy yourself. The week between Christmas and New Year is one of the two most crowded weeks of the year (Easter week is the other). The week before Christmas is a bit better. If you don't like crowds, do not do these weeks. Magic Kingdom as you said is the worst, with it actually having admissions closed on some days due to volume.

Weather is fairly variable. Much cooler than the rest of the year, but you can still have days in the 70's or around 80, but the nights tend to be a bit chilly...some nights you even need hat/gloves/jacket. All in all, very doable.

I agree... I would go December 10-19ish or somewhere in there... we did it for our honeymoon this past year and it was awesome and great crowds... for Christmas week it is SO much busier.

Upvote 0

luvGoofy

We went last year the 2nd week of December and the weather and crowds were wonderful. We hardly ever had a wait and we did the MVMCP on a Tuesday night and while it was crowded it wasn't that bad at all.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

Christmas at WDW

We have spent time at WDW in December, the first and second weeks of the month. What a fantastic time to go, all the Christmas decorations and very few of the crowds. Yes, the MK is busier on the days that there is a MVMCP but that is to be expected. For the most part we were able to walk on the majority of the rides without a wait or waited about 10 minutes tops. We did not have to use FP at all.
The decorations are fantastic and I would advise touring the delux resorts to see the splendid decorations, to include the gingerbread displays; it is well worth the time and effort.
We had very little trouble securing advanced dining, we were even able to enjoy dinner at the castle during MVMCP night! I really can't imagine going at any other time of year, I am afraid that I will feel that something would be missing. :xmas: :xmas: :xmas:

Upvote 0

SweetPea

We went last year the first week of December and had a great time. The weather was a little funky though...At the beginning of the week it was about 80, but by the end of the week, it was windy and only about 50 during the day. For the most part, we wore jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt for the cooler days and my daughter and I wore capris and a short sleeve t-shirt for the warmer days. We did need significantly warmer clothing in the evenings though. The crowds were extremely managable. Only used FP for Soarin' and never waited more than 10-15 minutes for anything else. As previously posted, the cheerleaders were only overly bothersome if staying in an All Star. The decorations and shows were fantastic and we did the Christmas Party on Tuesday night, which was great. The Christmas music all through the parks makes it even more enjoyable. I would definently do Disney at Christmas, if you never have.

Upvote 0

schewy

Christmas Time Visit

We go nearly every year around Chistmas. We try to go the first full week of December. The crowds are small, the weather is warm, you have plenty of time to do everything you want to, and it is a cheaper time to go. The third and fourth weeks of the year are one of the most crowded times of the year.
If you have never been before you must do the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. It is really fun (especially if you have kids). You get a photo, hot chocolate and cookies and the Christmas parade and fireworks show. There are limited number of tickets sold and it is not usually crowded.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom