Question about crowds during marathon.

Timmay

I did a search but did not find the answer to my question, so please excuse me if it is in a place I missed.

I am starting the planning for a pretty large group (11-14) trip for January 2008. We are limited to either January 13 – 20 or January 20 – 27. I would like to avoid MLK weekend (the 20-27 dates) but I just noticed the marathon was the 12th and 13th. We wouldn’t be arriving at our hotel (Pop) till after 4:00 pm, and probably not get to one of the parks (depending which one has EMH that night) till 6:00 pm or 7:00 pm, so the morning crowds are not a problem.

So, how bad are crowds going to be late afternoon and evening on the Sunday of the marathon? How bad are crowds the rest of that week as well?

Are we better off going the following week (MLK weekend)? I would think not, but I may be wrong.

Thanks for the help.:wave:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I did a search but did not find the answer to my question, so please excuse me if it is in a place I missed.

I am starting the planning for a pretty large group (11-14) trip for January 2008. We are limited to either January 13 – 20 or January 20 – 27. I would like to avoid MLK weekend (the 20-27 dates) but I just noticed the marathon was the 12th and 13th. We wouldn’t be arriving at our hotel (Pop) till after 4:00 pm, and probably not get to one of the parks (depending which one has EMH that night) till 6:00 pm or 7:00 pm, so the morning crowds are not a problem.

So, how bad are crowds going to be late afternoon and evening on the Sunday of the marathon? How bad are crowds the rest of that week as well?

Are we better off going the following week (MLK weekend)? I would think not, but I may be wrong.

Thanks for the help.:wave:

We were there this year during both weekends. The crowds during the weekend of the marathon, to me, appeared to be lighter than the crowds during MLK weekend. We were at the MK on the Saturday of MLK weekend and ended up going back to the resort it was so conjested. It was so conjested, they had moved the stroller parking for PotC all the way down near the Jungle Cruise, and the que for PotC was backed out all the way into the walkway in front of the attraction.

Upvote 0

Philo

We were there over the last marathon weekend. In the morning AK was pretty busy but I think that was because the marathon went straight through the park which narrowed or blocked some paths. In the afternoon is was much quieter. It wasn't busy at all for the rest of the week

Upvote 0

natalia1681

We were there this year for the marathon weekend. It was incredibly busy for the first part of the week, but I think that it was mostly school crowds. During the marathon, the crowds were manageable. The race was run through Epcot itself, so navigating that part was a bit tricky.

The worst part was planning around the traffic that the marathon runners create some traffic jams on the main roads. We used the buses to get around, it wasn't too bad, but we did allow extra time for travel:wave:

If you are staying at the Pop, please allow me to recommend the 60s! We stayed there on our last trip (got upgraded for free because of my friend's birthday). It was wonderful at the end of the day to not have to work very far to our room!:wave:

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I have also been there during the marathon, and we only encountered a slight delay when taking the bus in the AM, and some minor detours at Epcot later in the day. We actually enjoyed cheering on the runners (we had a cross country runner in our group) in Epcot, and really didn't experience any crowds otherwise.

Upvote 0

stick2596

I run the half marathon every year that is run on Saturday which only goes threw 2 park Epcot and MK. it is over by 11 am. the marathon is on Sunday goes threw all 4 parks but you only have like 7 hours to run it so by 1:00pm the race is over on Sunday. Most runners don't go to the parks after. i wonder why lol. it shouldn't be too busy in the parks that weekend. Both race start at 6:00 am by the way

Upvote 0

Timmay

Original Poster
Thanks for the help...as I said we won't be getting to the hotel till around 3-4 in the afternoon, so I am not too worried about the morning crowds.

Thanks again for the help.:D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom