Question about busses at moderate resorts.

Takeitforgranite

Original Poster
We have always preferred to stay at value resorts because we are park people who aren't particular about amenities at the resort. It also allows us to go more often. We have stayed at POFQ and OKW before, though. Call me crazy, but we still prefer a value resort like AS Sports because they aren't huge and the bus situation is simple and consistent.

The bus situation is something we care about for sure. At POFQ, we were actually close to the main building, so it worked out well. At OKW, we typically had to wait 30+ minutes. It was pretty frustrating. The last thing we want is to be stuck with a bad bus situation.

This time, we have 5 in our party, and it looks like a moderate resort is going to be our best option. One thing I have noticed from studying the maps is that some of the resorts are huge and have multiple bus stops. POR is an available option, but the resort looks sprawling, as does a couple others that are available.

I'd really appreciate any advice on where to stay that would be close to bus stops. Are requests for certain areas of resorts usually granted?

BrerWayne

Last time I stayed at Riverside (2015) the first stop was at the main building, so my family made it a point to try to catch the bus there. This August we stayed at Coronado Springs in the Ranchos section. Our bus stop was the first I think and the main building was actually the last stop for pick ups so it seems to be resort specific. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Minnesota disney fan

We have stayed at POR several times, and never run into bus problems. The resort is large, but doesn't feel like it. We always stayed in AB section and used South and West depots with no problems. We have stayed in bldgs. 26 and 27 which are closer to West depot. It is the one that the buses go to for first pickup. However, be aware, everyone and their brother now know this and guests came from all over the resort to the West depot, which defeated the purpose.
We only switched resorts this year due to the new dog policy at POR. We just don't want to vacation with someone elses dogs. So, we are going to POFQ for the first time. Can't wait.
As far as POR goes, we love this resort and would go back in a minute if the dog policy fails. Hope this helps.

21stamps

I actually switched from a water view (I think that was name of the category) at POR to a preferred room at All Star Sports last month.. because of exactly what you are describing. My room would have been located too far from the main building and main bus stop, I didn’t want to deal with that.
We did not end up using bus service, but am still glad that we made the switch. I was there less than 48 hours.

The only moderate I would stay at is POFQ, strictly because of size. If you can get that, do it! If you are going to do POR, keep checking to see if a preferred room becomes available.
I’ll extend that to any moderate, I haven’t stayed at one besides 2 nights at POFQ, but I would definitely get a preferred room if possible and you should be fine.

Last edited:

Takeitforgranite

Original Poster
When we stayed at POFQ several years ago, there was only two bus canopies at the main building. Each were for multiple parks, and there was no organization. People would just gather up and nobody knew where anyone else was going. When a bus pulled up, people would dart up to it with no consideration for anyone else. I felt like I was going to have to confront someone every time we went to the bus stop, and that's no way to spend a vacation. It really left a bad taste, and we missed the structure of the AS resorts.

I thought that was very unDisney and couldn't believe that was considered acceptable by the guests.

Minnesota disney fan

When we stayed at POFQ several years ago, there was only two bus canopies at the main building. Each were for multiple parks, and there was no organization. People would just gather up and nobody knew where anyone else was going. When a bus pulled up, people would dart up to it with no consideration for anyone else. I felt like I was going to have to confront someone every time we went to the bus stop, and that's no way to spend a vacation. It really left a bad taste, and we missed the structure of the AS resorts.

I thought that was very unDisney and couldn't believe that was considered acceptable by the guests.

Yikes! I hope that has changed? We are going to FQ for the first time this coming FEb/March.

My first extended stay at Disney was POFQ for 6 nights. First off, I love the layout and the vibe. But I’m a huge resort person.

We didn’t have any issues with the buses, in fact the longest wait I remember is 10 minutes. But I also love the resort for the boat to Disney Springs.

daisyduckie

Last time I stayed at Riverside (2015) the first stop was at the main building, so my family made it a point to try to catch the bus there. This August we stayed at Coronado Springs in the Ranchos section. Our bus stop was the first I think and the main building was actually the last stop for pick ups so it seems to be resort specific. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Casitas bus stop #2 is usually the first stop picked up at Coronado Springs. Ranchos would be the second stop picked up.

Also, at Riverside sometimes the West Depot is the first one picked up, which would make the main building the last stop. That one seems to change bus stop order a bit. I've stayed there a few times, and have run into the West Side being the first stop more often than not.

Driver

I've mentioned this in other threads and it looks like it needs repeating. In multiple stop resorts, where the bus stops first (or last) solely depends on where it came FROM. If you came from Disney Springs the bus will enter and start from a different location than if you come from a park. This is why all your different post don't match. Your all half wrong and half right. Example..... if you go to POR from the Springs the first and last stop will be at the front entrance. Why...... the Springs bus always acts as the internal shuttle. If you go to POR from a park your first stop will be the "west " because parks busses are NOT internal shuttles so they don't have to start and end at the front entrance. The other multiple stop resorts are very much the same way with minor variations. The thing to remember here is Springs busses are different than park busses.

Lirael

I stayed at POR (in the Rpyal Guest rooms, at I think the Magnolia location) on my last trip. I was far from the resort entrance, but since POR has more than one stop, I barely had to walk a minute to catch the bus. An dlike POFQ, at POR you wont have to take a bus to Disney mall Springs

But if you just need specific locations at POR to decide on rooms, check this POR page out, it has a map with the bus stops on it (they're called "Eat/West/North/South Depot") and it also shows which are the types of rooms.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I've mentioned this in other threads and it looks like it needs repeating. In multiple stop resorts, where the bus stops first (or last) solely depends on where it came FROM. If you came from Disney Springs the bus will enter and start from a different location than if you come from a park. This is why all your different post don't match. Your all half wrong and half right. Example..... if you go to POR from the Springs the first and last stop will be at the front entrance. Why...... the Springs bus always acts as the internal shuttle. If you go to POR from a park your first stop will be the "west " because parks busses are NOT internal shuttles so they don't have to start and end at the front entrance. The other multiple stop resorts are very much the same way with minor variations. The thing to remember here is Springs busses are different than park busses.
That's why we like Coronado Springs... or, we did before they started the tower construction.

Rob562

Further compounding this is that occasionally at peak travel times and routes, if a bus fills up before it completes its route, they'll send a new bus to pick up where it left off.

-Rob

mf1972

we recently stayed there this past october & didn’t have this problem at all. there was always an attendant there having people form 2 lines at each canopy to prevent congestion & confusion. it worked out very well.
we also stayed there approximately 5 years ago & ran into the same situation. didn’t matter if you were first to arrive or just showed up. as soon as a bus pulled up, people swarmed on it.
thankfully, it’s improved a lot since then IMO

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We have stayed at FQ and POR with prior names since they both opened in the early 90s love them both. Buses are ever changing week to week depending on season and also weird holidays. Sometimes they share buses others not. If buses are full they pass ya up and start cycle over again in busy times. In 2016 during food and wine we depended on Uber for Springs and Epcot. It greatly varies and why you will receive widely varying opinions. Not all that different than the monorail reliability at different times of the year. Uber was less than $8. An added expense but overall worth the lack of frustration when needed. We also opt for Uber when we are dining for breakfast elsewhere for breakfast at another resort. Saves both time, frustrating multiple transfers, sleep and a calm start to morning. Returning to resorts is more reliable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom