Quarterlife Crisis

MAF

Original Poster
Anyone else ever gone through what they call a "Quarterlife Crisis"? Right now I have a bachelor's degree in marketing, yet I can't get a job with it in my area. I thought about getting my Master's, but then I realized that maybe marketing and business isn't really for me. It kinda sucks that I got a degree in something that I honestly am not really interested in at all. It seems like the only careers available are in sales, and I'm just not a salesman at all. Has anyone gotten a degree in something that really didn't fit them and then regreted it later? Help!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Well, I am a few years above a "quarterlife crisis", I am 29. My degree is in Communication Disorders. I thought I wanted to be a Speech Therapist. You can't really do much with that unless you get your Masters, which, after I graduated, I decided I did not want to do. Too much research, when all I ever really wanted to do was work with children (I really should have majored in Early Childhood Education). So now I am a toddler teacher at a YMCA Child Care Program -and absolutely LOVE my job! I've been there for 7 years and its where I hope to stay for a long time.
I regret that my degree is in something I don't use a whole lot (although I did learn Sign Language and Language Development, so that helps when working with 1 and 2 year olds), but I am glad I have a degree. Things just have a way of working themselves out.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Wow... If you were my friend on facebook or had talked to me in the past 6 months you'd know quarterlife crisis is my life motto right now!! :lol:

I went from being engaged to the man of my dreams to having him leave me last October for a younger girl. (He's 28, she's 22.) My world was turned upside down.

I went from being the fiancee of a successful guy who was going to let me live out my life dream of being a housewife to nothing. I have a BA in Mass Communications with a concentration in PR, Marketing, and Advertising. Now I turned 25 less than a week and a half ago and I'm living with my parents again and just started my official first 'Big Girl' job. I just started last week at a job that I LOVE and think I was born to do. For all intents and purposes though, I have NOTHING to show for myself except for a BA, a new job, and a GMC Envoy I'm currently making payments on.

I thought by now I'd have the white picket fence, the (perhaps) husband, the labradoodle, and be working on the 2.5 kids... but no. My dream was taken from me b/c my fiancee fell for a girl named Deborah.

I am really glad that I'm not the only one going through this!

MAF

Original Poster
Oh Spark, let's have a group hug! :cry: hehe

Oh, at least you have a job in your major, I have a career in "retail"....Oh and did I mention that I've never had a "real relationship" either. At least you are better off than me! Be happy!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think we're all suffering from the "college degrees are relatively meaningless pieces of paper" syndrome.

I spent years convinced to get the career I wanted that I had to get a BFA and then a MFA and then surely i'd be a shoe-in for the job and yadda yadda.

Turn out after burning out and dropping out of the program i never fit in and just getting a BA and doing things that were relevent to the job i wanted to do was vastly more productive - and i'm sitting kinda pretty, even if it's taking me more then 4 years to graduate and i'm missing a letter from my degree.

So, you'll make it through, it'll just take some time to find your way.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Oh Spark, let's have a group hug! :cry: hehe

Oh, at least you have a job in your major, I have a career in "retail"....Oh and did I mention that I've never had a "real relationship" either. At least you are better off than me! Be happy!

My job doesn't pay for shizz... If I wasn't living with my parents, I couldn't have taken the full time job without taking another full time job to pay rent and utilities. :cry:

I went through the arguement in my head of "Do I take a job in my field doing something I'm passionate about and will love and be excited about going to everyday that doesn't pay?" or "Do I take a job I'll end up hating in a few months because it'll pay the bills?"...

Before he left and I moved back home, I was the manager of a tanning salon for 2 years and we basically have the same degree. I know what you're going through sadly. :(

Just keep searching the job sites daily. I know it's a waste of time most days, but if you *try* to not get discouraged you will find something you like eventually.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I think we're all suffering from the "college degrees are relatively meaningless pieces of paper" syndrome.

I spent years convinced to get the career I wanted that I had to get a BFA and then a MFA and then surely i'd be a shoe-in for the job and yadda yadda.

Turn out after burning out and dropping out of the program i never fit in and just getting a BA and doing things that were relevent to the job i wanted to do was vastly more productive - and i'm sitting kinda pretty, even if it's taking me more then 4 years to graduate and i'm missing a letter from my degree.

So, you'll make it through, it'll just take some time to find your way.

I'm really glad you're 'sitting kinda pretty' though. Do you at least like doing what you're currently doing?

I still firmly believe that if you're doing what you like, it's ultimately more fulfilling. And you get to go to WDW frequently so you already have a leg up in the happiness department. :D

MAF

Original Poster
Haha! At least I get to go to Disney World in 6 months, or else I might have NOTHING to live for! :D

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
i know what you guys all mean. i mean, when i was younger if you'd ask me what my life would be like now, it would have been totally different. my job pays very poorly (actually the whole field of child care does, but that's a different story), but i wouldn't be able to work there at a job i absolutely love if my plans had happened. by now i had planned to be married with the kids and a house and everything; i wouldn't have been able to stay at this job.

when i say i love my job, i mean i actually wake up in the morning wanting to go. on the plus side of my life, i know there are VERY few people who can say that.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Screw being "married"...to me that is a death sentence...:ROFLOL:
To be quite honest, for me right now it is too. I'm SO glad that he decided to be a douchebag when he did rather than whe we were married and/or with kids. I still basically went through a divorce with the dividing of the house/assets after living together for 3 1/2 years. (He got the cats :cry: )

But I think the opportunities I've been provided wouldn't have been possible if I were still with him...

And did I mention he's a doucheface? :lol:

primetime52

Wow... If you were my friend on facebook or had talked to me in the past 6 months you'd know quarterlife crisis is my life motto right now!! :lol:

I went from being engaged to the man of my dreams to having him leave me last October for a younger girl. (He's 28, she's 22.) My world was turned upside down.

I went from being the fiancee of a successful guy who was going to let me live out my life dream of being a housewife to nothing. I have a BA in Mass Communications with a concentration in PR, Marketing, and Advertising. Now I turned 25 less than a week and a half ago and I'm living with my parents again and just started my official first 'Big Girl' job. I just started last week at a job that I LOVE and think I was born to do. For all intents and purposes though, I have NOTHING to show for myself except for a BA, a new job, and a GMC Envoy I'm currently making payments on.

I thought by now I'd have the white picket fence, the (perhaps) husband, the labradoodle, and be working on the 2.5 kids... but no. My dream was taken from me b/c my fiancee fell for a girl named Deborah.

I am really glad that I'm not the only one going through this!

Wow I'm really sorry that all of that had to happen to you! I hope everything works out in your new "big girl job." On the bright side, marriage seems overrated anyway. None of my married friends seem happy. I know that right now it seems like your dream was taken away from you..... but now is a good time in your life to start creating some new dreams. You never know what life might throw at you.

I'm the poster-child for unused degrees. I've got management and marketing degrees that will probably go unused forever, since late in my college career I decided to try my hand at working in sports broadcasting and voice-overs, and so far so good.

I was in a relationship for a couple years with a girl I probably would've married, but she betrayed my trust and we broke up a couple weeks ago. Since then I've just been working extra long hours and going out with friends alot more. I think I've made some good strides in my career since then, since now I spend all my time working instead of wasting countless hours dealing with her! :ROFLOL:

DDuckFan130

:lookaroun

I'm 23 and I love my job. I got a degree in English education and I THOUGHT I'd be working close to home. But fate had a school 22 miles from my house in store for me. And I couldn't be happier. I have my days, but I work with a great faculty, and mostly great students. And my administration?! Wow! I couldn't be better off.

I never thought I'd be in a charter school, but I get paid the same to start off ($38,000- not a lot to some of you...but it's way better than my subbing job).

I do live with my parents but I do have some stuff to pay for, like my brand new Kia Sportage and my insurance...and my 2 credit cards. I do want to move out someday, but I'm content right now.

My only thing is my "love" life. I've never had a real boyfriend and a real relationship. My self-esteem isn't all that great, so I'm working on that confidence that gets me talking to guys. Fortunately, I have people around me at work that have helped me with that and guys that have been nothing but nice. But it's like "always the friend, never the girlfriend" :lol:

:lookaroun

Next? :lol:

MAF

Original Poster
Well at least I don't live w/ my parents so I"m better than you guys right? RIGHT!?!? hah j/k...

DDuckFan130

Well at least I don't live w/ my parents so I"m better than you guys right? RIGHT!?!? hah j/k...
Eh, not necessarily :lol:

I don't have to pay rent and I don't have to cook or pay for groceries :lookaroun

I do give my parents a certain amount of money a month to cover certain things and then some because I feel like it. And I'm responsible enough that they give me the freedom I need.

Until I started working at this school, I barely ever went out and never did a "happy hour." Now, I'm the MVP of happy hours because I love socializing with my co-workers and having fun :D :ROFLOL:

My parents don't care :shrug:

And did I mention my job rocks and I am using my degree :lookaroun

:p

davidpw97

Anyone else ever gone through what they call a "Quarterlife Crisis"? Right now I have a bachelor's degree in marketing, yet I can't get a job with it in my area. I thought about getting my Master's, but then I realized that maybe marketing and business isn't really for me. It kinda sucks that I got a degree in something that I honestly am not really interested in at all. It seems like the only careers available are in sales, and I'm just not a salesman at all. Has anyone gotten a degree in something that really didn't fit them and then regreted it later? Help!

Finally found the perfect thread! WOO HOO
28, BS in Hospitality and I have worked in hotels for years and I hate it. I hate the hours, I hate most of the people, I hate the pay, and I never ever should have gotten a degree in something I can't stand and I'm no good at. The only thing good about working in hotels is the cheap hotel rooms you can get when you go on vacation but since they don't pay you anything you can't afford to ever go anywhere. Soo I live at home, have 2 crappy jobs and in 1 year and 3 days i'll be entering my 30's with very little to show for it. But in a few shorts hours I leave for FL for a few days. Woo hoo!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom