Quality downgrade to Disney plush

Calm Down Rover

Speaking of plush... not really on topic with the quality downgrade. But, a couple things that have always irritated me in regards to plush is the fact they don’t sell any of the Country Bears in plush form (yet Tokyo does), neither do they sell Br’er Rabbit, Br’er Fox, or Br’er Fox at the Splash Mountain gift shop. Instead, they sell Thumper, a generic bear, and a generic fox. I can’t be the only one who finds that ridiculous, right? Shouldn’t they realize they’d be making more profit if they made more merchandise of the Parks characters? Just look at how much Figment and Orange Bird merchandise makes alone?? Ya know.

Yeah, it's almost as annoying as the abominable snowman merch they sell in the Everest gift shop. If they're concerned about reminding people about Song of the South, well... They already built a ride. That ship has sailed. They can use the off-color version of Brer Rabbit from WDW (where he's inexplicably gray instead of brown) if it makes them feel better.

Inspired Figment

Tbh, I have to disagree with that. I found the Parks plush toys and merchandise to be superior compared to the DisneyStore stuff. Still, I believe what they’re doing now is they’re going to produce and sell all future merchandise all under one brand “Shop Disney” (the renamed DisneyStore). Pretty sure this is an effect from the recent company reorganization. Meaning, both the Parks and Store merchandise will be exactly the same, unless perhaps it’s something non-IP/Parks based like Figment merchandise for instance. Though, to be fair, they *are* selling some Parks merchandise on the regular ShopDisney site now, though they have a larger selection on the “ShopParks” app. Lol! It’s a bit of a mess. But yeah...

Inspired Figment

I get what they’re trying to do... and honestly, it makes perfect sense at a business standpoint. Why have separate divisions of merchandise when it’d be easier to run and control it all under one. but that’s part of the reason the quality’s changed. Nonetheless, regardless of what branch these are being produced by. The quality and attention to detail should be better... but hey, anything to cut costs.

TinkerBelle8878

We just got back and the trip before that was in 2012. I really only pay attention to fignent plush, as I always feel like I want one, and always forget. There was a significant size and quality difference I noticed from the 2012 trip to the 2018 trip.

No, actually the best plush were late 80s through 90s. Flounder, Perdita, Roger Rabbit and many other random characters that you could only get in the parks.

Phineas

Fingers crossed this is just a supply issue-otherwise, this is unacceptable. Whenever gifting Disney plush, I always buy the parks version, due to the improved quality over their Disney Store counterparts (Which aren't bad to begin with).

These look like WDW partnered with a Wal-Mart toy section/claw machine prize supplier.

JIMINYCR

People should know never to buy plush toys at the Parks, and instead buy the ones at Disney Store.

The quality difference is astounding

I have a friend who goes around to yard sales when they are going on. Knowing I'm a Disney fan, shes brought me lots of old style Disney plush characters she comes across for my Disney room. The difference in quality from years ago... wow.

aladdin2007

Speaking of plush... not really on topic with the quality downgrade. But, a couple things that have always irritated me in regards to plush is the fact they don’t sell any of the Country Bears in plush form (yet Tokyo does), neither do they sell Br’er Rabbit, Br’er Fox, or Br’er Fox at the Splash Mountain gift shop. Instead, they sell Thumper, a generic bear, and a generic fox. I can’t be the only one who finds that ridiculous, right? Shouldn’t they realize they’d be making more profit if they made more merchandise of the Parks characters? Just look at how much Figment and Orange Bird merchandise makes alone?? Ya know.

They use to, and they were nice. Sorry I dont have photos. I want to say early 2000's or 1990s.

MDB407

WDW and DL both used to sell Country Bear Plush. I have a Big Al I bought at Disneyland when I was a kid. When I started working at WDW in Frontierland we sold Country Bear Plush-Big Al, Liver Lips and Teddi Berra, Big Al Banks and Beer mugs as well as Country Bear postcards and the soundtrack. At the same time at Splash Mountain we sold Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear, Brer Fox, Brer Frog in Beanie and larger sizes. It is a shame so many of the secondary characters are not sold anymore as it really gave a uniqueness to the shops and to the merchandise.

Phil12

Fingers crossed this is just a supply issue-otherwise, this is unacceptable. Whenever gifting Disney plush, I always buy the parks version, due to the improved quality over their Disney Store counterparts (Which aren't bad to begin with).

These look like WDW partnered with a Wal-Mart toy section/claw machine prize supplier.
The claw machine plush prizes are always the highest quality in order to entice guests to spend lots of money to win a prize stuffed with synthetic fiber batting. It's a "profit deal".

Buzzy_Sir

This has always irritated me too! The Country Bears and the Br'er animals are my favorites. I think they should sell a plush of the Tiki Birds, Rover from COP and the dog from Pirates.:)

Last edited:

Amos1784

Merchandise in general is just in a decline. I still have plush from when I went as a kid in the 90's and they are amazing and in way better shape then anything I could replace with now. Same with clothing it used to be such high quality, now don't ever think about drying a t shirt you buy, you will end up giving it away to a toddler, speaking from experience ;)

Inspired Figment

This has always irritated me too! The Country Bears and the Br'er animals are my favorites! I just ordered a big vintage Br'er Fox and a Br'er Rabbit :D I think they should sell a plush of the Tiki Birds, Rover from COP and the dog from Pirates. I would love a Buzzy from Cranium Command (But I doubt that would happen) :)
AGREED! Would love to see those! Not to mention, Dreamfinder himself! Btw, they actually did make the dog from Pirates. I remember buying him at Disneyland a good few years ago.

JohnD

I was at the magic kingdom today and noticed that the quality of the Disney plush sound around Walt Disney world has changed. I got some photos of the current form but don’t have any of the previous versions. Looks like another form of cutting costs.

I'm withholding judgment. The Mickey plush was photographed in horrible lighting. The right eye is under so much sunlight, it looks completely different from the left eye.

phillip9698

People should know never to buy plush toys at the Parks, and instead buy the ones at Disney Store.

The quality difference is astounding

Which sucks because you would assume Disney would have the good stuff at their parks. I know when I used to make frequent trips due to work my nieces and nephews would always plead for some park merch, something their friends couldn't get at the mall. That ruled out a lot of the junk they have in their flagship Disney Springs store. I think the items they were most pleased with were the Christmas ornaments I bought at the Christmas store there.

They also need to improve the selection. My God son would have flipped over some Kuzco merch but sadly they had none. I was lucky to find a Remy plush outside of F&W time, and the quality on that was less than desirable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom