Putting "Soarin'" in my fictitious park

mharrington

Original Poster
I've done a few threads on a fictitious park that is not explicitly located anywhere in the real world, but rather in someplace like, say, Xanadu or Shangri-La or someplace, or even no place at all. The latest thread on that is here: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/coming-up-with-a-new-name-for-my-fictitious-park.977351/.

However, in my overthinking way, I kept getting hung up on one particular detail that many would consider mostly negligible: the ending of Soarin', which would be found in this castle park. As you probably know, the ride ends either in the park/resort it's set in (Disneyland (although the ride there is actually at the CA Adventure), Epcot or Tokyo DisneySea) or just the city the park is located in (Shanghai). However, a nonexistent, fictitious location would make this difficult, if not impossible, to carry out.

For context, it would be part of a new land, the International Expo Gardens. This is where the hub typically is and is where you go to the various lands from there. In addition to Soarin', It's a Small World would be located here.

I've been fixating on this for such a long time that I thought it should have its own thread.

In addition, I was advised by @MickeyMouse10, in keeping with the idea of it not taking place in the real world, to dispense with the real world theming and do it more like Avatar: Flights of Passage, where I would create a world of my own. I wanted it set in the real world, or at least a preexisting world, because it's easier that way. What's more, I have never been on Flights of Passage, nor do I ever intend to, as I was underwhelmed by Animal Kingdom when I first went there in 2002 and have had no desire to return again, as I did when I went to WDW again in 2003 and did all the parks except Animal Kingdom.

Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out how to do the ending of Soarin' in a fictitious world. Any ideas? And remember, it takes place at night, with fireworks going off, ultimately forming the classic Mickey shape, while Tinker Bell flies around (at least at the CA Adventure and Epcot).

MickeyMouse10

Thanks for the mention bud.

Sorry to hear about your underwhelment at Animal Kingdom. At first I didn't care for it either, but the Yak and the Yeti quick service and the Shows really won me over. Best of Luck on the project, I'm always interested in what you're pondering.

mharrington

Original Poster
Thanks for the mention bud.

Sorry to hear about your underwhelment at Animal Kingdom. At first I didn't care for it either, but the Yak and the Yeti quick service and the Shows really won me over. Best of Luck on the project, I'm always interested in what you're pondering.

But I don't know how to end the ride, which is why I am asking for help.

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
Why not ignore what city it’s in (it’s too dark to make out most of the city anyway) and just focus on flying over the park itself?

Rambozo

Why is it even in a fictitious park anyway? I thought you want to stay realistic with all of your projects.

mharrington

Original Poster
Why is it even in a fictitious park anyway? I thought you want to stay realistic with all of your projects.

Yes, but being realistic to me meant finding real places to put it and there's just no way to do that without taking constraints into account, which was why I tried coming up with someplace like Xanadu, which was mythical, but at least I didn't have to invent it from scratch. At least one person on this forum stated that the park ideas here are mostly just pure blue sky, and unless these people here actually become real Imagineers (i.e., working for Disney for a living), that's all they'll ever be. I once did a whole thread on this very subject: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/blue-sky-vs-all-else-but-mostly-constraints.897813/.

In that thread, this person, @MANEATINGWREATH, stated that much of their work takes place in a made-up world where Disney parks are found all over the world, in places like Australia, Canada, Greece, Brazil and Germany, among others. They stated that this is all just for fun (good, fictitious fun) and nothing else. True, blue sky work for preexisting parks may take constraints like sizing and space limitations into account. I don't bother with funding because I don't know how much it would cost, though that apparently seems to be the biggest constraint of all.

In any case, your statement about me being realistic was actually the very reason I made a thread all about trying to explain how my park was fictitious and not as realistic as I wanted: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/how-do-i-explain-that-my-park-is-fictitious.976059/.

The bottom line is that I would like to create a park, but I feel that it's impossible to do so without being fictitious and, by extension, unrealistic. In fiction, the creator of the work is totally in control of everything, even if the technology doesn't exist (i.e., science fiction or the like). After all, if it is fiction, why bother to be realistic at all?

Last edited:

Rambozo

You should probably just pick a state in the middle of the U.S.. One where the weather isn't horrible. This way it's a good distance from California and Florida.

mharrington

Original Poster
You should probably just pick a state in the middle of the U.S.. One where the weather isn't horrible. This way it's a good distance from California and Florida.
Why in the U.S.? I'm trying to go beyond the U.S. Besides, it's really difficult to do another one, let alone in the U.S., without making it different from the other two in the country. Plus, I want to do something in a different language other than English (it's too easy).

Rambozo

Why in the U.S.? I'm trying to go beyond the U.S. Besides, it's really difficult to do another one, let alone in the U.S., without making it different from the other two in the country. Plus, I want to do something in a different language other than English (it's too easy).

I guess I'm just biased towards my own country.

Plus the other two Disney resort areas have gotten too crowded. Might as well put it in an area that isn't. This would be a good way to spread out the over population we now they have in this country. Plus maybe they could secretly buy up land like they did in the 60's and 70's.

mharrington

Original Poster
No, I'm talking about the whole park. If you did it indoors, you could have it anywhere in the world.

That doesn't sound feasible at all.

In the first place, if the entire park was indoors, it would have to be a giant building, which is too impractical, in my opinion, especially since it would need to be VERY giant indeed for the castle and mountains. What's more, you can't run a train around the park if it's indoors, nor can you do a parade or fireworks shows. The best you could do is just a mapping projection show, but that sounds kind of lame. Moreover, it's not just a matter spreading the building out, but also up - WAY up. Further, it would be almost impossible to do any expansions if done in a building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom