Purpledragon's trip report

I went down to WDW for a week with the family from 6/3 to 6/10. Crowds were very light in all parks on Thursday and Friday, almost everything was a walk on. Gaydays started on Friday and by Saturday the crowd levels increased significantly thru the weekend but wait times for most attractions were still reasonable (20 min +/-) . By Monday the crowds had increased from all the vacationers pouring in for the start of the summer season, the wait times for rides jumped a good bit but were still bearable.

Observations:

Magic Kingdom
Space Mountain - I like the new updates, but there is a HUGE problem with the games in the tunnel. People get involved in the game and don't realize the line is moving. We stood in the tunnel for a good 5 minutes not moving at all, then suddenly the whole line moved forward into the queue area, all because people were engulfed in the game and not watching the line. Also it may just be me but the lift hill is now super noisy, much more than I remember. All in all the updates were nice, its kind of a bummer that you can't see the track anymore from the queue, but its nice that the ride is that much darker when riding now.

Splash Mountain - I see why they are taking this attraction down for a refurb soon. I counted at least 5-6 AAs that had damaged parts that were not moving, 3 of them had an eye that had all the paint scraped off one side and would not move properly. None of the A/C units in there are working except a single unit in the lowest part in the beehive laughing place scene. Hopefully this attraction will be returned to its former glory after the refurb.

Haunted Mansion - We got stuck on this ride for a good 5 minutes right in the little Leota area, I was about to go nuts if I had to hear her say "Hurry Baaaaaaaaack" one more time. A CM walked past us with a flashlight then came back right before the ride resumed. Any CMs here that know what happened? It was on Thursday evening.

Peter Pan - Why the heck does this ride always have a 45+ minute wait, even when all other attractions are walk ons? It never ceases to amaze me how people pour into an almost 40 year old attraction that has never been updated and choose to bypass many more superior attraction. I haven't ridden Peter Pan in almost a decade and from what I remember its pretty bad.

MSEP - Had the pleasure of enjoying the opening night of this parade with MasterYoda, we met up in the hub area and got to watch the parade from a pretty good vantage point. Thanks MasterYoda for grabbing that spot. :wave: It was nice to see the parade again after 20+ years, there were a few hiccups mainly all the floats getting stuck on the bridge heading to Liberty square and a couple floats having lights that weren't working. But all in all a great opening night.

I didn't get a chance to really enjoy the new fireworks show, since my daughter and I were dashing onto rides during the show, since it was a new show every single attraction was a walk on during that time.

Beyond that everything in the park seems to be in great shape. I love the fact that along the walls infront of the FLE area, they have huge murals with descriptions of the new attractions coming with the expansion.

EPCOT
Test Track - This ride broke down while we were in line and then faulted out while I was on it. The ABS break test didn't work and we coasted down the track at about 2 miles an hour then took off just before the breaks kicked in, it was rather funny. They really need to take this attraction down and upgrade the cars and computer system, its 10 years old now and could really used an overhaul.

SSE - Good as always, but was shut down on Wednesday when we went back to the park, no clue why. Anyone know?

The construction on the new Mexico restaurant is still ongoing, I love the little temporary food counter they put out there next to it, looks like its always been there, fits the themeing perfectly.

Hollywood Studios

It was ridiculously hot on the day we hit DHS so we didn't stay long past doing lunch at 50's Prime Time, ToT, RnRC, and Playhouse Disney stage show for my son. The wait for TSM was 120 minutes and FP were long gone by 2PM, so we didn't even bother. Everything seemed good from what I could tell, we went on the Monday following SWW and crowds were not too bad aside from TSM. ToT was a 15 minute wait and RnRC was only 30.

Animal Kingdom
Dinosaur - When we rode the Carnotaurus was in full working order, and it seemed to me like they had fixed some of the lighting in the attraction. There was a lot more visible than I remember and more of the meteorite effects were working. My teenage daughter had the snot scared out of her. I should have gotten the pic so you guys could see, it was rather funny.

Expedition Everest - One waterfall was working but the bird was not and the Yeti room was completely dark. We shot thru there so fast I could not tell if there was a tarp up or if it was just dark. The audio of the Yeti growling was turned way down too so it looks like they are finally starting work on his repairs.

It was super hot when we hit this park as well so we didn't get to hit all the attractions, but everything I saw seemed to be in tip top shape aside from EE.

rodserling27

Splash Mountain - I see why they are taking this attraction down for a refurb soon. I counted at least 5-6 AAs that had damaged parts that were not moving, 3 of them had an eye that had all the paint scraped off one side and would not move properly. None of the A/C units in there are working except a single unit in the lowest part in the beehive laughing place scene. Hopefully this attraction will be returned to its former glory after the refurb.

Didn't it JUST get a refurb a few months ago? How depressing!!!! i was hoping to see everything in tip-top shape in my upcoming trip.

Sounds like a good trip though :wave:

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
Splash Mountain undergoes an annual refurb pretty much every January. Thread about this year's refurb w/ pics.

Ahh ok, well it needs some AA work big time. It was rather unsettling to see an AA staring at me with one eye while it was talking. LOL!! I'm assuming those AA issues are caused by the super high humidity inside the attraction. Its possible that the A/C going out increased the humidity in the attraction significantly and caused some parts to fail on some of the AAs. Its possible that they may be able to fix minor issues like that overnight once the A/C gets fixed, no telling. We'll see what happens.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I had a feeling that the games might have been a issue in the queue's.
Well yes and no. The games will back up the queue a bit but not to the point that it takes longer to get on the attraction. There is quite a bit of queue between the last game and the load area. Without the games you would simply walk at continuous slow pace. With the games you might stop for a minute but you are right back to where you would have been a few seconds later. The queue games are a huge plus and I hope this becomes a trend.

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
Well yes and no. The games will back up the queue a bit but not to the point that it takes longer to get on the attraction. There is quite a bit of queue between the last game and the load area. Without the games you would simply walk at continuous slow pace. With the games you might stop for a minute but you are right back to where you would have been a few seconds later. The queue games are a huge plus and I hope this becomes a trend.

Yeah what sucked for us is we were stuck way back in the line down the hill from the games, then when the line moved we went right past the games into the open queue area. So we gained no benefit from the games, it would have been nice to be able to play them for a minute.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah what sucked for us is we were stuck way back in the line down the hill from the games, then when the line moved we went right past the games into the open queue area. So we gained no benefit from the games, it would have been nice to be able to play them for a minute.
You might of had a group of people in front of you that parked at the games. If a group stands at the games and plays through several cycles you will get what you experienced. Most people play a game and then move on which gives everyone a shot at at least one.

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
You might of had a group of people in front of you that parked at the games. If a group stands at the games and plays through several cycles you will get what you experienced. Most people play a game and then move on which gives everyone a shot at at least one.

LOL!! I see you didn't read my report. Especially since I specifically mentioned you. ROFLMAO!! :p :lol:

All joking aside, I mentioned in the report above how we ended up waiting in the tunnel for well over 5-10 minutes without moving, then suddenly the entire line moved all the way thru to the end of the tunnel to the opening of the main queue area. So we bypassed the games completely, which annoyed me because I wanted to check them out after reading about them on here.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
LOL!! I see you didn't read my report. Especially since I specifically mentioned you. ROFLMAO!! :p :lol:

All joking aside, I mentioned in the report above how we ended up waiting in the tunnel for well over 5-10 minutes without moving, then suddenly the entire line moved all the way thru to the end of the tunnel to the opening of the main queue area. So we bypassed the games completely, which annoyed me because I wanted to check them out after reading about them on here.
Oh I read it and it does sound like you had a group parking. The games only run about 60 seconds in length and there is a 2 or 3 minute break between games. The average Joe in line will walk with the line as normal when that break happens.

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
Oh I read it and it does sound like you had a group parking. The games only run about 60 seconds in length and there is a 2 or 3 minute break between games. The average Joe in line will walk with the line as normal when that break happens.

Gotcha!! Figured since you were somewhat unclear as to my situation, that you may not have read it. Oh and by the way, thanks again for staking out that spot for MSEP and letting us hang with you. :wave::D

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Gotcha!! Figured since you were somewhat unclear as to my situation, that you may not have read it. Oh and by the way, thanks again for staking out that spot for MSEP and letting us hang with you. :wave::D
Not a problem at all. I had a great time meeting you that night and it was nice to have some entertainment for my 9 year old via your daughter. We will do it again sometime.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't know, I thought I read somewhere on here that it would be going down soon for a refurb, but I may have been mistaken. Can anyone confirm this? Steve do you know?
I believe it goes down every year for a few weeks in mid January early February. A summer refurb for splash is highly unlikely.

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
I believe it goes down every year for a few weeks in mid January early February. A summer refurb for splash is highly unlikely.

Then maybe its just broken A/C units wreaking all the havoc on the ride. Those can be fixed while the ride is in operation, I'm sure they have a fleet of HVAC repair guys who can come do work on them. I'm guessing after the A/C gets fixed they can do minor repairs on the damaged AA's after hours.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I guess you are right in the fact of where the games are placed. Far enough back, wouldnt be a problem of the load area being empty and 300 people behind someone at one of the games.

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
I guess you are right in the fact of where the games are placed. Far enough back, wouldnt be a problem of the load area being empty and 300 people behind someone at one of the games.

Yoda is right in the fact that it doesn't affect the amount of time it takes to get on the attraction when there is a long line. But if people stop half way down the line to play the games for an extended period and the queue area is empty ahead of them, then it would in fact affect the amount of time it takes to get on the ride, however I think that sort of situation would be a rarity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom