Purchasing Alcohol for DCL trip

MrToad_At_BLT

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I've seen a couple of posts on DCL which confirm you can carry on alcohol as long as it is in your carry on.

The question I have is where should I purchase it for my trip. We are flying down the morning of our cruise and since I can't carry liquids in my carry on on the flight do I have to buy the alcohol at the Orlando airport?

Or are there locations at the port to purchase it prior to boarding?

Thanks!

Phonedave

Hi everyone,

I've seen a couple of posts on DCL which confirm you can carry on alcohol as long as it is in your carry on.

The question I have is where should I purchase it for my trip. We are flying down the morning of our cruise and since I can't carry liquids in my carry on on the flight do I have to buy the alcohol at the Orlando airport?

Thanks!

There is nothing to buy at the port (aside from some muffins and coffee)

You will have to buy any alcohol before you get there.

-dave

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
From the Disney website: Alcohol is permitted on board. However, be aware that any fragile items (including bottled alcohol) must be hand-carried on board in a day bag and/or carry-on bag, the dimensions of which cannot exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. Guests who request a Wine Steward to open and serve a bottle of champagne, wine or liquor that has been brought onboard will be charged a corking fee of $18.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

devoy1701

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I assume you are catching the DCL shuttle from the airport to the port? If this is so, when you get to the port and check in, you can then catch a cab to the nearest liquor store if you so chose. We had guests do this all the time back when I worked for Holland America Line.

Phonedave

From the Disney website: Alcohol is permitted on board. However, be aware that any fragile items (including bottled alcohol) must be hand-carried on board in a day bag and/or carry-on bag, the dimensions of which cannot exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. Guests who request a Wine Steward to open and serve a bottle of champagne, wine or liquor that has been brought onboard will be charged a corking fee of $18.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

I wonder what they would do if you re-packaged your liquor into say a Nalgene or metal bottle. I have plenty of those laying around :)

-dave

Luige11

Understanding this is an old post, this seems better than making a new thread all together. If my parents were to bring their own bottle to dinner rather than requesting a Wine Steward open it, would they still have to pay an corking fee?

ChuckElias

Understanding this is an old post, this seems better than making a new threat all together.
There's no need for threats. I'm sure someone will answer your question! :D

If my parents were to bring their own bottle to dinner rather than requesting a Wine Steward open it, would they still have to pay an corking fee?
Yes. The corking fee for bottles of wine brought into any of the rotational or specialty restaurants is $20. (I'm sure it doesn't matter whether the bottle is already opened or not.) However, if they bring a glass of wine into dinner, there is no fee. Your server has no way of knowing if you brought it from your stateroom or if you just bought it in a lounge.

Luige11

There's no need for threats. I'm sure someone will answer your question! :D

Yes. The corking fee for bottles of wine brought into any of the rotational or specialty restaurants is $20. (I'm sure it doesn't matter whether the bottle is already opened or not.) However, if they bring a glass of wine into dinner, there is no fee. Your server has no way of knowing if you brought it from your stateroom or if you just bought it in a lounge.
Haha Sorry about that. I was sorta in a rush when I posted. :p

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This is a great question, because I generally pack a few plastic bottles of bacardi (still retail store sealed) when I go to Disney to spike my late night Pina Colada's with!

Since a cruise is going to be splitting up my WDW trip this year, I was curious if it was allowed or not. I'd hate to have to toss it out!

Blufusion

This is not about Disney cruise line but about the alcohol. I bought a alumnium bottle of vodka from Hawaii and it was a 750 ml of vodka. But the bottle was made to lool lite a aluminum water bottle. I could not carry it on. It did kinda looked like a bomb. And I was checked from 1st point of my trip to Hawaii and the last checkpoint back to the states. TSA snapped the locks to my checked bag and looked at it to make sure. . And they put a note in the bag explainging why they did it. I talked to a friend that works at TSA in DC. Not a rent a cop at the airport and asked her . After the 1st time I was stopped. Cause I got forgot I had a writing pen in my pocket was I "Flagged" and she told me yes . And at every poing I had to go thru security I was pulled aside and checked. It also didn't help that I have a 9 in titanium rod with 9 screws in my leg either. They even checked me for bomb making residue

Blufusion

DVCOwner. The rule of the TSA is you cannot carry more than 3 ounces of liquid of any sort in a carry on bag. Mine was more than 3 ounces.

sweetpee_1993

The rule about alcohol in your check bagage is not TSA, it is a DCL rule.
DVCOwner. The rule of the TSA is you cannot carry more than 3 ounces of liquid of any sort in a carry on bag. Mine was more than 3 ounces.

He said checked bag rule is for DCL, not TSA. TSA's carryon rule is different from DCL's :D

We've carried our own liquor onto every cruise we've been on. Last September was our first experience working with the flying/TSA rules along with DCL's rules. For our flight we wrapped the bottles each in multiple layers of bubble wrap then placed them in a large garbage bag. I tied the garbage bag off then doubled it back over itself and tied again. We placed this "package" in the middle of our clothing so it was well-padded. When we go to Orlando we took the bottles out of the checked suitcase and placed them into a backpack to carry onto the ship.

ChuckElias

we wrapped the bottles each in multiple layers of bubble wrap then placed them in a large garbage bag. I tied the garbage bag off then doubled it back over itself and tied again. We placed this "package" in the middle of our clothing so it was well-padded. When we go to Orlando we took the bottles out of the checked suitcase and placed them into a backpack to carry onto the ship.
My wife does the same thing, although not with garbage bags. Never had a bottle break, either.

Phonedave

He said checked bag rule is for DCL, not TSA. TSA's carryon rule is different from DCL's :D

We've carried our own liquor onto every cruise we've been on. Last September was our first experience working with the flying/TSA rules along with DCL's rules. For our flight we wrapped the bottles each in multiple layers of bubble wrap then placed them in a large garbage bag. I tied the garbage bag off then doubled it back over itself and tied again. We placed this "package" in the middle of our clothing so it was well-padded. When we go to Orlando we took the bottles out of the checked suitcase and placed them into a backpack to carry onto the ship.

Yea, the good old bag contents swich. It makes sense though.

TSA wants your large containers of liquid in your CHECKED luggage - in case it is flammable, they do not want it on your person.

DCL wants your large contaiers of liquid in your CARRY ON luggage - In case they break and leak, it will not be all over others peoples luggage.

-dave

Blufusion

Sorry Guys. Just turned 51 and it seems like that my eyes and Brain just went dead at that age. Please accept my apologies. Do have one thing to tell you tho. If you go to Hawaii and try to use a debit for your car rental somer companies here in the mainland will let you do that., There they will accept it for payment for the rental. But if you don't have insurance . We don't drive or own a car so no car insurance. Insurance on a car rental there is $100.00 a day and they wont let you fill up with gas before you return the car and also if your a smoker. 1st thing it's bad for you and quit. I'm trying now . Cigarettes are $10.00 a pack and if you gonna buy liquor there go to any Target or Safeway or K-Mart they sell liquor ib=n the grocery stores.

Sumrdog

I did something similar bringing my sister in law some rum, she lives in France and they don't have Captain Morgan...Anyway before the bubble wrap layer I vacuum sealed the rum bottle in a plastic bag using my foodsaver Vacuum sealer, those bags are tough. The bottle made it all the way to Europe on four flights without incident.

And on our cruise last week we carried 2 twelve packs of beer onto the ship and nobody cared.

sweetpee_1993

I did something similar bringing my sister in law some rum, she lives in France and they don't have Captain Morgan...Anyway before the bubble wrap layer I vacuum sealed the rum bottle in a plastic bag using my foodsaver Vacuum sealer, those bags are tough. The bottle made it all the way to Europe on four flights without incident.

And on our cruise last week we carried 2 twelve packs of beer onto the ship and nobody cared.

Oh that's cool! I don't have a vacuum sealer but I think my mother-in-law does. Good to know!

Yep, if you can carry it onboard you can bring it! Glad it worked out for you. My brother swears he's carrying 4 cases on the Fantasy next month. That should be fun to watch him juggle! LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom