• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Protest at Disney cancelled

Jim S

He hadn’t been at the school in a year when the shooting happened, so there was an entire group of students (the freshmen that seemed to be predominately attacked) that didn’t know him.

Plus, someone did alert authorities in 2016, but nothing was done with that info: https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...as-cruz/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.01d4b74c49f1

He got into fights often, so my guess is that several of the students may have already assumed that officials were keeping an eye on him.

Don’t blame the students on this one, it looks like authority figures on every level in the school and community dropped the ball here.
First of all I didn't blame the students exclusively, they just like everyone else in this whole process share some of the blame. They have made a lot of false unthinking accusations and do not get a free pass. You can give them a free pass but I don't. They could have assisted the authorities if they were more responsible and more caring.

Willmark

Advertisement
So let’s take a step back with the political activism intruding into leisure activties.

When one does this or a group does this the phrase I most often hear is “to raise awareness”. The problem with this is two fold: one, it assumes that people aren’t aware of the issue being protested, two it assumes that the target audience is “on your side”.

Because here’s the deal if this happens on vacation I doubt I’m going to think “golly gee, thanks for making me sufficiently woke!” The main problem right now to the left EVERYTHING is political as opposed to time and place.

I’m sufficiently politically aware, I don’t need extra credit assignments while on vacation. YMMV.

Last edited:

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Premium Member
Original Poster
So let’s take a step back wit the political activism intruding into leisure activties.

When one does this or a group does this the phrase I most often hear is “to raise awareness”. The problem with this is two fold: one, it assumes that people are aware of the issue being protested, two it assumes that the target audience is “on your side”.

Because here’s the deal if this happens on vacation I doubt I’m going to think “golly gee, thanks for making me sufficiently woke!” The main problem right now to the left EVERYTHING is political as opposed to time and place.

I’m sufficiently politically aware, I don’t need extra credit assignments while on vacation. YMMV.
I’m playing devil’s advocate in this post.

These actions are not only meant to raise awareness but are meant to disrupt others’ lives and inconvenience them, at the very least. If anyone were to complain about the disruption, then they ought to be ashamed for complaining about an inconvenience, while the earthly lives of schoolchildren are being permanently disrupted.

Top Bottom