• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Protest at Disney cancelled

aw14

Advertisement
This is being lead by Parkland students right...doesn't matter if they were the ones who saw the deaths or what, they are considered victims as they were emotional scarred from an event and most likely suffering from acute stress syndrome which can later evolve into PTSD.

Banning those who were at the school (I.e victims), is extremely bad optics as well are using your resources to rally against minors. Like ironically, grown people are fighting against children, calling them names and liars. Do you really think that's gonna bode well in the future?
correct me if I am wrong but most of the protestors are average students from other districts that have not had first hand experience.

As I stated, I do not think Disney will ban them. However, optics side, children are being put out in a public forum and yet being held above reproach. If you insert yourself in the discussion, people can disagree with you. Not name calling or other infantile behavior, but a legitimate disagreement.

Quinnmac000

correct me if I am wrong but most of the protestors are average students from other districts that have not had first hand experience.

As I stated, I do not think Disney will ban them. However, optics side, children are being put out in a public forum and yet being held above reproach. If you insert yourself in the discussion, people can disagree with you. Not name calling or other infantile behavior, but a legitimate disagreement.
Children are not beyond reproach but at the same time, think about all the issues that are currently going on. You sir, have a daughter and a school adminstrator. Lets say something bad happened to her or your students and they reported it and were upset but it yet people called her liar and other horrible things despite it being a real issue they were facing. Would you tell them not to fight for their views and just take it? I would hope not. We moved past seeing these kids are humans who were subjected to something and others who potentially fear for their life but now we view these kids are some internal threat to their livelihood.

This has been moved beyond legitimate disagreement with now grown adults threatening them harm, doxxing them, and all these other things. Its not just this but across the board with so many issues regarding minors. If you don't want to hear what they say, ignore them. Fighting them just gives them way more attention. If no one pays attention, they have no power as they are not in a position of power.

aw14

On this, you and i agree. That is why I said, a legit disagreement to those that are in the "public square". Any inappropriate commentary is silly and only makes the adult look more like a child.

disneygeek90

not every random student is a victim in this case.

By that logic, because I am a school administrator, I am a victim by proxy. Not sound logic
I never stated that, ever. But to claim that you cannot be effected by the shootings that are happening because you weren't physically there is turning a blind eye to the problem and the pain that people experience. It's not hard to find someone here in Florida that was effected by either Parkland or Orlando in some way. I have a friend that graduated from MSD, and several others that had lost friends in Pulse.

aw14

I never stated that, ever. But to claim that you cannot be effected by the shootings that are happening because you weren't physically there is turning a blind eye to the problem and the pain that people experience. It's not hard to find someone here in Florida that was effected by either Parkland or Orlando in some way. I have a friend that graduated from MSD, and several others that had lost friends in Pulse.
no one is turning a blind eye to anything.

Sadly, all that I have seen (my students included) are protests (good and bad) no actual discussion about what should be done from either side. Typical nonsense. In this instance "I am a victim, now fix the problem"

Quinnmac000

Last thing I want to point out fear is the strong motivator for/against social movements within the United States.

I believe based on the frequency of these events, kids are truly terrified of people shooting up their safe space. That fear won't be placated until something effective happens or enough time passes without incidents of gun violence in schools.

After 9/11, we had strong and continued levels of islamophobia with fear causing those in the islam community to be ostracized in certain areas. Gun regulation was instituted from fear after black panthers were open carrying weapons in California. Women feared they would get assaulted in bathrooms hits why the push for ban of trangendered people in non biological sex bathrooms.

As I stated earlier, the only way to fix their current "trauma" I guess for a lack of better word is to show the fear isn't rational and totally emotion based.

Prince-1

gotten rid of? Banned from WDW for creating a disturbance is a little different than what you are alluding to.

I personally believe the protestors who protest on private property and interfere with the daily progress of paying customers, should be dealt with just like any others who create a disturbance.
I agree but I do laugh at morons who say they will step on them if they are in their way. It's so easy to be tough online.

disneygeek90

Sadly, all that I have seen (my students included) are protests (good and bad) no actual discussion about what should be done from either side. Typical nonsense. In this instance "I am a victim, now fix the problem"
They are a victim in the sense that kids that should be looking forward to school are now just hoping that what they see on the news doesn't happen to them next. No kid should need to be thinking about that in a classroom.

As far as actual discussion well, they're kids and they're trying their best to get adults to listen to them. That's a tougher task than it appears.

aw14

I agree but I do laugh at morons who say they will step on them if they are in their way. It's so easy to be tough online.
there are certainly keyboard warriors coming at this from all angles.

I actually had this discussion with my 15 year old yesterday. She's all for the protest just not at Disney, private property and all. I asked her what she will do if it is during our trip at the end of July, her words" just walk around them". Seems like the best and most viable option imo

aw14

They are a victim in the sense that kids that should be looking forward to school are now just hoping that what they see on the news doesn't happen to them next. No kid should need to be thinking about that in a classroom.
I would disagree. We have provided a situation where kids are feeling anxious about almost everything. One of my daughters friends went on a tirade saturday night (15 years old) when we took her to dinner about her "anxiety". So me being me, asked what makes her anxious and how does she conquer any anxiety attacks. She couldn't answer.

When you give credence to nonsense in some instance, it supports something that should not be provided support.
As far as actual discussion well, they're kids and they're trying their best to get adults to listen to them. That's a tougher task than it appears.
on this we agree, prt of the reason its hard to have kids in the discussion

disneygeek90

I actually had this discussion with my 15 year old yesterday. She's all for the protest just not at Disney, private property and all. I asked her what she will do if it is during our trip at the end of July, her words" just walk around them". Seems like the best and most viable option imo
Don't worry. The chances that it would happen when you visit, at the park you visit, at the very time you walk by are very, very slim.
I don't think it will even happen at all.

disneygeek90

I would disagree. We have provided a situation where kids are feeling anxious about almost everything. One of my daughters friends went on a tirade saturday night (15 years old) when we took her to dinner about her "anxiety". So me being me, asked what makes her anxious and how does she conquer any anxiety attacks. She couldn't answer.

When you give credence to nonsense in some instance, it supports something that should not be provided support.
Adults can barely explain what causes their own anxiety and discuss their own feelings properly. I don't blame children for not being adequately capable of explaining their mental state. Dismissing their anxiety as nonsense doesn't do anything to make the anxiety go away.

Prince-1

Well I'm pretty sure the only angle that these keyboard warriors are coming from are...wait for it...right angles.

And your 15 year old seems smarter than some adults on here. I agree that there is a place to protest and I also understand why they would choose a high profile location such as WDW but to threaten to do bodily harm on another person shows a huge (or Yuge for those so inclined) lack of character.

Last edited:

LukeS7

There has been actual discussion though. There's been suggestions for solutions, but nobody is listening to them. The vast majority of the people protesting aren't claiming to be "victims", they're protesting to show their support for people who are victims and have gone through these horrible experiences and to try to get legislation passed to make it less likely to happen to them or anyone else in the future.

I work for a college and I'm a staff advisor for one of the clubs on-campus and my girlfriend is a HS teacher. We have both (on numerous occasions) had students who have been afraid of this happening at their school. They had several lockdown drills the week after Parkland at the school that she teaches at and the college I worked at started offering active shooter training to staff and students. There's not a week that I come to work without thinking "What will I do if this happens here?". This is a very real problem that people seem to have put more effort into ignoring than into solving. Between my girlfriend and I, we know 3 people who have been involved in 3 separate school shootings (FSU, Viginia Tech, and one other that I don't recall the school for). That's 3 too many.

aw14

There has been actual discussion though. There's been suggestions for solutions, but nobody is listening to them. The vast majority of the people protesting aren't claiming to be "victims", they're protesting to show their support for people who are victims and have gone through these horrible experiences and to try to get legislation passed to make it less likely to happen to them or anyone else in the future.

I work for a college and I'm a staff advisor for one of the clubs on-campus and my girlfriend is a HS teacher. We have both (on numerous occasions) had students who have been afraid of this happening at their school. They had several lockdown drills the week after Parkland at the school that she teaches at and the college I worked at started offering active shooter training to staff and students. There's not a week that I come to work without thinking "What will I do if this happens here?". This is a very real problem that people seem to have put more effort into ignoring than into solving. Between my girlfriend and I, we know 3 people who have been involved in 3 separate school shootings (FSU, Viginia Tech, and one other that I don't recall the school for). That's 3 too many.
you are correct...those are 3 too many.

Discussion yes, but both sides fail to compromise on real, tangible solutions. So while discussion is lovely, it amounts to nothing when neither side is willing to have realistic solutions.

aw14

Adults can barely explain what causes their own anxiety and discuss their own feelings properly. I don't blame children for not being adequately capable of explaining their mental state. Dismissing their anxiety as nonsense doesn't do anything to make the anxiety go away.
the assumption is being made that the anxiety is real. Having worked with young adults for the last 16+ years, in many instances its not

disneygeek90

the assumption is being made that the anxiety is real. Having worked with young adults for the last 16+ years, in many instances its not
Totally. Because with the pressure of school, grades, friends, sports, and shootings happening seemingly every other week, what could kids possibly be anxious about?

Top Bottom