Pros & Cons to taking a toddler to Disney World

ctcdisneymama

Looking for real advice for taking a 2 year old to Disney World. My husband and I visit Disney World often so we know going with our daughter would change the dynamic of the trip, which we are totally fine with.

My husband wants to wait until she is older and I would go now (she's currently 8 months old) if I had the choice. I know she won't remember anything if we take her when she is 2 and that this would be an experience for myself and my husband.

So for those that have taken little ones, what are the pros and cons? Is it worth it?

Schneewittchen

DH and I first took our son to WDW when he was 15 months. It was magical. It was mid-January, so very much the quiet season.

He met Pooh & Tigger in England at EPCOT, I've never seen a child so happy. Then we had dinner with Pooh & Friends at Crystal Palace in MK. Baby ecstasy. We took him on all of our favorite dark rides... Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc. He napped in his stroller a bunch. We stayed out late because he could just sleep in the stroller. Too little to complain about going shopping at what was Downtown Disney. We had tons of great meals at table service restaurants. It wasn't a waste for us at all. It was an indoctrination.

Upvote 0

Andrew M

I would go as close to their 3rd birthday as you can, so they're still free, but can definitely enjoy it more than a 18-24 month old can. I've taken my now 5, 4 and 2yr olds 3 times over the last 3 years. The first time our oldest was 2yrs 4 months and the 2nd was only 14 months old. Our last trip the now 5yr old and 4 yr old absolutely loved it, and the youngest who was 18 months at the time also had a blast. For a 2 year old, if they're into the characters, it's great. My youngest on the last trip went crazy for all of them, but I remember my oldest was a little hesitant at first before getting into it.

It also helped for the youngest her older siblings would watch ride videos and listen to the Disney World sound track over and over in the car before she ever went. Having them exposed to that beforehand definitely increases their enjoyment when they finally do go. My oldest would dance around to 'Yo Ho' before our first trip and his mind was absolutely blown when we waiting in line and the song came on.

So Pros:
Watching them enjoy WDW is awesome. It really brings a whole new level to visiting the parks, and we honestly wouldn't go without our kids after experiencing it with them.

Obviously being under 3 means almost everything is free, including all character meals/buffets. - We took huge advantage of this when we had 2 under 3.

Getting them hooked early means even more of a reason to go back to WDW sooner rather than later.

Riderswap is great for still being able to go on the bigger rides.

Cons:
Waaay slower pace. Don't expect on going on much more than 4-6 rides per day. Our general schedule with a 2yr old was knocking out our 3 fast pass rides before lunch. Nice quiet sit down lunch/nap time after. You can usually get away with letting them nap in the stroller while you walk around the park, but some people insist on going back to the hotel and pool for the afternoon. You'll find out what your kid will let you do. And then trying to go on a couple more rides/dinner in the evening. We kept our rides to whatever we could get fastpasses for to keep the line waiting to a minimum. You also might find that it takes so long to get around with a stroller, diaper bag check, etc. that Park Hopping might not make sense.

Fireworks. My oldest was/is terrified of them. We found this out the hard way and I had to spend 15 minutes with him in the bathroom covering his ears til the show was over. Definitely try to gauge before you go if they'd like it before getting stuck in the middle of the show and nowhere to escape the noise.

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

We took each of our kids for the first time around 3 1/2. It's great fun because it's all truly magical for them. It will be a different trip for you in all probability, but just different. Not necessarily bad or good.
I don't buy into people saying "but they won't remember anything". I always respond with "so when do you start making memories"? I have a hard time remembering details of past trips. There is nothing cooler than seeing a little one screech with joy, jump and down etc. for something you have forgotten is fun or funny.
And what is really funny for my family is we have had the experience of coming full circle. My husband is 68 and I am 58. We started our trips a life time ago with just the 2 of us. Then along came the kids and all of those trips, and then (and it was a JOY)!, let me tell you, in April we did our first adult only trip again and had a blast! And (drats), apparently because my husband and I reported too much fun from the April trip they have both, 30 and 18 invited themselves along, again, for December. :) .... not really, it's great that they don't mind hanging with us!

Upvote 0

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Agree with a lot of what the others have said. Under 3 can be a great age - no need for tickets and buffets are free. If they are around 2, there is some actual awareness and enjoyment for the kiddo. Also, if you go before the child develops a fear instinct, you can take him/her on all the dark rides, then when they say they might be scared on their next trip, you can tell them they've already done it before!

My advice is to take your cue from them. You won't be able to do everything you usually do, and that's ok. You're laying the foundation for (hopefully) many more trips to come. Enjoy their joy on Dumbo, the teacups, the carousel. Be prepared for them being scared of characters (especially the "head" characters - they can be overwhelming). If they want to sleep, let them sleep. If they need a break, take it.

We did several character meals - Crystal Palace (Pooh & friends) was the absolute best. The only characters she didn't freak over (other than when Gaston walked by and flirted a little - she LOVED that).

You'll have the pictures and memories to last a lifetime. Seeing the pure joy on a toddler's face is completely worth it!

Upvote 0

DreamalittleDisney

I would go as close to their 3rd birthday as you can, so they're still free, but can definitely enjoy it more than a 18-24 month old can. I've taken my now 5, 4 and 2yr olds 3 times over the last 3 years. The first time our oldest was 2yrs 4 months and the 2nd was only 14 months old. Our last trip the now 5yr old and 4 yr old absolutely loved it, and the youngest who was 18 months at the time also had a blast. For a 2 year old, if they're into the characters, it's great. My youngest on the last trip went crazy for all of them, but I remember my oldest was a little hesitant at first before getting into it.

It also helped for the youngest her older siblings would watch ride videos and listen to the Disney World sound track over and over in the car before she ever went. Having them exposed to that beforehand definitely increases their enjoyment when they finally do go. My oldest would dance around to 'Yo Ho' before our first trip and his mind was absolutely blown when we waiting in line and the song came on.

So Pros:
Watching them enjoy WDW is awesome. It really brings a whole new level to visiting the parks, and we honestly wouldn't go without our kids after experiencing it with them.

Obviously being under 3 means almost everything is free, including all character meals/buffets. - We took huge advantage of this when we had 2 under 3.

Getting them hooked early means even more of a reason to go back to WDW sooner rather than later.

Riderswap is great for still being able to go on the bigger rides.

Cons:
Waaay slower pace. Don't expect on going on much more than 4-6 rides per day. Our general schedule with a 2yr old was knocking out our 3 fast pass rides before lunch. Nice quiet sit down lunch/nap time after. You can usually get away with letting them nap in the stroller while you walk around the park, but some people insist on going back to the hotel and pool for the afternoon. You'll find out what your kid will let you do. And then trying to go on a couple more rides/dinner in the evening. We kept our rides to whatever we could get fastpasses for to keep the line waiting to a minimum. You also might find that it takes so long to get around with a stroller, diaper bag check, etc. that Park Hopping might not make sense.

Fireworks. My oldest was/is terrified of them. We found this out the hard way and I had to spend 15 minutes with him in the bathroom covering his ears til the show was over. Definitely try to gauge before you go if they'd like it before getting stuck in the middle of the show and nowhere to escape the noise.
My little one enjoyed the view of fireworks but not the noise so took some ear defenders with us... about £12 on Amazon .. it meant he could enjoy them if awake and if in stroller asleep they didn't wake him so we could still enjoy them

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Looking for real advice for taking a 2 year old to Disney World. My husband and I visit Disney World often so we know going with our daughter would change the dynamic of the trip, which we are totally fine with.

My husband wants to wait until she is older and I would go now (she's currently 8 months old) if I had the choice. I know she won't remember anything if we take her when she is 2 and that this would be an experience for myself and my husband.

So for those that have taken little ones, what are the pros and cons? Is it worth it?

My older child was 14 months when we went to WDW, my DD was 2 months. At 14 months old my son had a blast, it was awesome family bonding time. No he didn't remember but he really had a good time. When he needed a nap we went on dark rides and a bottle and he drifted off. We went annually after that until my DD was born 4 years later for 2 week trips. He actually retained some spotty memories of future trips as a toddler and a preschooler.

My DD at 2 months was a delayed trip that was to be before she was born that the Doc put the ca-bosh on. With my kids 5 years apart she was born with her days and nights mixed up, stayed up all night and slept by day, my son the opposite. I never slept long. After one day of in and out of an umbrella stroller and waking by day because of it that righted her system and she learned to sleep through the night on our trip, we wore her out. Best $3000 I ever spent on a two week trip!!!!

My advice is on pure family time when they are little. We only rode what they could ride, we didn't swap. We enjoyed WDW through their little squirt curiosity and enjoyment which brought joy to us. But best of all it was pure family time without any outside pressures to be doing anything else and that was something we will never regret or put a price tag on even though they are now 20 something adult kids. No regrets.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

We have gone with my niece the last 2 trips. She was 18 months when we went in 2016, and 2 1/2 years old when we went a year ago and her 3rd trip is coming up in Nov and she is 3. My sister wanted to get in those couple of trips where she was free, which is really great. There were no meltdowns and we went in the heat of September both times. Those 2 trips with her were our most memorable, favorite trips we've ever had and we have been going since 1992. She was able to go on more rides than she couldn't... anything without a height requirement basically. This year she will be able to go on Barnstormer, Mine Train and Slinky Dog Dash. We used rider swap for the bigger rides, which was great.

We are morning people, so we did RD every morning, came back and took a midday break at the resort each afternoon and then went back out for dinner and back to a park in the evenings... this has been our way of doing things before she was born and it was perfect with her. We did character meals with her and she loved the characters! There really weren't any cons with our experiences. Those 2 trips with her were magical and we talk about how much fun we had everyday.

Upvote 0

winstongator

Our first trip, my younger daughter was 2 weeks from turning 3. As @Andrew M said it’s a sweet spot. With all the pictures, go back through them and they build lasting memories. Here’s my after the fact recap of that trip. Bring your own stroller that they’ll be comfortable in. We rented doubles at the park but younger daughter wouldn’t ride and wouldn’t walk, so daddy carried her around everywhere for 2 days (I may be stern but sometimes I spoil them). Some kids do not do well with the characters, so be prepared for that possibility. I wish we could (would) have gone more when they were younger. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen a pure joy smile like the one in this picture.

dsc_0779-jpg.265771

edit: as a practical matter, bring your own snack and drinks for them. Don’t let them get over hungry or too tired. Find shade, and let them chill. One of The sorcerers of the MK spot by pirates has a bench my older daughter has napped on. With a stroller, you make your own napping spot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

winstongator

We have gone with my niece the last 2 trips. She was 18 months when we went in 2016, and 2 1/2 years old when we went a year ago and her 3rd trip is coming up in Nov and she is 3. My sister wanted to get in those couple of trips where she was free, which is really great. There were no meltdowns and we went in the heat of September both times. Those 2 trips with her were our most memorable, favorite trips we've ever had and we have been going since 1992. She was able to go on more rides than she couldn't... anything without a height requirement basically. This year she will be able to go on Barnstormer, Mine Train and Slinky Dog Dash. We used rider swap for the bigger rides, which was great.

We are morning people, so we did RD every morning, came back and took a midday break at the resort each afternoon and then went back out for dinner and back to a park in the evenings... this has been our way of doing things before she was born and it was perfect with her. We did character meals with her and she loved the characters! There really weren't any cons with our experiences. Those 2 trips with her were magical and we talk about how much fun we had everyday.
My kids are up at 7 for school, and we’re out the door by 8. They’re excited at WDW, so getting them to rope drop isn’t hard. My wife likes to sleep in on vacation, but even then she made it to rope drop Epcot for Frozen Ever After back when fast passes were impossible to get. Somehow waiting in the rope drop line is more tolerable than a ride line.

Upvote 0

MomofPrincessGrace

My first trip I was 4 and my sister was 2. I only remember a couple of things (parade being cancelled due to rain and my sister being TERRIFIED of Pooh) and my sister has no memories. I think that when you take kids that little, the memories are more for yourself, which is great! Although the little ones won't remember, you always will and you will have pictures to show them when they get older.

We took my daughter for her first trip on her 5th birthday. It was magical to her, and still is. I would definitely wait until she is walking age, so she can get out of the stroller and move around.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Have you gone since she was born? Just curious. We took both my kids at toddler age and even earlier. My son was just 1 one our first trip with him. It really depends on the kids, just be prepared to do things differently. We discovered the joy of walking around the park with a napping child in a stroller and kind of miss those days now. With them being older they are more likely to tell you they want to just go back to the pool lol, though my daughter loves the parks and my son is the hotel kid.

Upvote 0

ctcdisneymama

Original Poster
Have you gone since she was born? Just curious. We took both my kids at toddler age and even earlier. My son was just 1 one our first trip with him. It really depends on the kids, just be prepared to do things differently. We discovered the joy of walking around the park with a napping child in a stroller and kind of miss those days now. With them being older they are more likely to tell you they want to just go back to the pool lol, though my daughter loves the parks and my son is the hotel kid.

Actually going twice in the next few months but it'll be just me going with friends. Right now she's the happiest little baby which is something I hope stays with her as she gets older. We figured it would be wise to take her before she talks back :p

Upvote 0

ctcdisneymama

Original Poster
Those photos are darling - thank you for sharing!

I didn't even think about her being free under a certain age!! That's even more incentive to thinking about taking her. I was thinking either March or April 2020. She'll be just a few months over 2 years old. We've gone in March, June, October, November, February and March was the best weather we've ever experienced.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

As pointed out, under 3 doesn't need park tickets. So that can be considerable cost savings. But many studies seem to indicate that they won't have any real memories until after 3ish, so before that time is mostly for your benefit of seeing their joy and taking pictures. Now our DS does ask when we are going back, but whether he actually remembers from the last trip, or enjoys looking at the pictures we have of him, I have no idea.

Upvote 0

Ricky Spanish

I would never take an infant or a toddler to WDW.
And this is coming from a father who took his 3 year old there for her Make-a-wish trip.
While Mom and I remember everything, my daughter doesn't remember the trip or why we were there.

We always comment on families with small ones, especially infants.
Imagine being strapped to mom or dad"s chest when it's 93 degrees and humid.(Gee, I wonder why they are crying?)
Or the toddler being (literally) dragged everywhere on property because "mom and dad paid alot for this vacation and we have reservations with the princesses."

We took advantage of a Make-a-wish trip when my when my daughter was 3 because we didn't know if she would make it to 4.
We also made a promise to bring her back to WDW.
And we did, when she was 8.
And every year after that.

Upvote 0

mmkaal3

We just got back from taking our 18 month old daughter. It was amazing! Now I knew she would be fine taking naps in the stroller and staying up late. If she was on a really strict schedule and would not nap in a stroller/stay up late well, I would have reconsidered taking her.

She had SO much fun. She got so much joy from little things that I may not have even noticed. I really think she had less meltdowns at Disney than she does on a regular basis at home. She won't remember the trip but we sure will. She already loves looking at the pictures from the trip. Plus taking while they are free is definitely a plus! Not only free park admission but free meal at character breakfast buffets. With us going before she turned two, she flew for free as well.

Don't listen to what others say... do what YOU want to do. If it overwhelms you, then don't do it. If you are just dying to take your child, then do it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom