News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Surferboy567

So Disney's suits are apparently having second thoughts about a Poppins attraction just because the sequel-that-nobody-wanted underperformed at the box office? Well isn't that just peachy. Never mind the place that the original Mary Poppins film has in Disney history. Never mind that it was Walt's crowning cinematic achievement. Who cares about that? They'd rather give park property and money to an overrated flash-in-the-pan non-Disney IP like Avatar. What a flock of turkeys.

Too be fair...I really really really loved returns it is such a great film. For me not as good as the first but man does it come close. I really want to hear from either @marni1971 or @MisterPenguin on this because I find this report weird since marni mentioned that the small scale ride was basically a done deal last week. Also Flight of Passage is my favorite ride in WDW ever...so no Avatar isn't overrated in the slightest. I really want to see Poppins (either Returns or OG) in UK. I'd be heartbroken if it got shelved but I'm holding on all hope until our insiders tell us otherwise.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Well I’ve got some news...According to Jim Hill while Mary Poppins Returns will turn a profit for Disney apparently executives have told the imagineers working on shows and attractions coming to the UK pavilon to “pump the breaks” if this is true I’m heartbroken. Can any of our insiders confirm this? I know @marni1971 basically said a small type of ride is coming is this still the case? I don’t normally like to tag them but I think this warrants it @marni1971 @MisterPenguin
Jim Hill can be rather hit or miss. My understanding is that he "needs" to have "breaking news" at a certain rate. So, sometimes he runs with rumors and assumptions and claims them to be fact. Or things too early in development that aren't really anywhere near greenlit. If Martin teased it being green lit and Jim Hill denied it being green lit, Martin tends to be significantly more reliable. Martin doesn't have an income or a job relying on how many clicks he can get or buzz he can stir up.

Surferboy567

Jim Hill can be rather hit or miss. My understanding is that he "needs" to have "breaking news" at a certain rate. So, sometimes he runs with rumors and assumptions and claims them to be fact. Or things too early in development that aren't really anywhere near greenlit. If Martin teased it being green lit and Jim Hill denied it being green lit, Martin tends to be significantly more reliable. Martin doesn't have an income or a job relying on how many clicks he can get or buzz he can stir up.

Of course I don't doubt Martin's credibility but after hearing it from Jim it made me wonder and panic so I wanted to reach out to our insiders who hopefully can clear this up for us!

Haymarket2008

Of course I don't doubt Martin's credibility but after hearing it from Jim it made me wonder and panic so I wanted to reach out to our insiders who hopefully can clear this up for us!

@marni1971 has stated that the dark ride has been off the table for some time now and that it will be a smaller addition. Time will tell, but Jim Hill corroborated everything that has been posted before on these boards.

brb1006

So Disney's suits are apparently having second thoughts about a Poppins attraction just because the sequel-that-nobody-wanted underperformed at the box office? Well isn't that just peachy. Never mind the place that the original Mary Poppins film has in Disney history. Never mind that it was Walt's crowning cinematic achievement. Who cares about that? They'd rather give park property and money to an overrated flash-in-the-pan non-Disney IP like Avatar. What a flock of turkeys.
The film was good. Especially the hand drawn section. :(

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well I’ve got some news...According to Jim Hill while Mary Poppins Returns will turn a profit for Disney apparently executives have told the imagineers working on shows and attractions coming to the UK pavilon to “pump the breaks” if this is true I’m heartbroken. Can any of our insiders confirm this? I know @marni1971 basically said a small type of ride is coming is this still the case? I don’t normally like to tag them but I think this warrants it @marni1971 @MisterPenguin
So far as I know, very very recently a small attraction was approved for the UK pavilion.

If things changed since then I don’t know.

Surferboy567

So far as I know, very very recently a small attraction was approved for the UK pavilion.

If things changed since then I don’t know.

I could be grasping at straws but the way @marni1971 has worded this sounds like we are talking this project had to be green lit like a week or two ago maybe sooner. Hence the very very recent wording.

It could only mean 2 things which both are very possible.

1.) Jim Hill has been given false intel (he has been wrong before, but still his track record isn’t the worst)
2.) The plan has changed since @marni1971 has heard about it (which is unlikely if it happened a few short weeks ago)

The mystery thickens...this better all not be for a spinner (which it likely is).

So let’s take what we know and discuss it.

1.) Set Designer on Returns said he helped design the “ride” and then slipped up and tried to cover his tracks.

2.) Marni says it’s a small scale attraction (carousel, “less charming dark ride” which I find the dark ride argument off the table, imagineers could use any ride system but it has to be a “smaller scale” as per Marni’s words.

3.) Going to be in the UK Pavilon (obviously)

4.) Jim Hill said that “Imaginners prepping rides and shows (which implies multiple) that have taken their inspiration from Mary Poppins Returns have been told to pump the breaks” The film hasn’t done bad for Disney...but it wasn’t the smash hit they wanted. I personally loved the movie but that’s besides the point.

5.) Marni heard about the ride being approved “very very recently” so we are probably talking weeks a month at the most. (Seems unlikely a small “budget” attraction would get pulled after just getting green lit possibly weeks ago. (I could be wrong on this but this is how I see it)

The mystery thickens...this definitely warrants further discussion. I’d like to see what some of our well seasoned members have to say about this @MisterPenguin anyone else wanting to chime in?

Really wish their was a sticky button...that way anyone reading this could just see all the facts laid out above don’t want this to get buried.

Sir_Cliff

I could be grasping at straws but the way @marni1971 has worded this sounds like we are talking this project had to be green lit like a week or two ago maybe sooner. Hence the very very recent wording.

It could only mean 2 things which both are very possible.

1.) Jim Hill has been given false intel (he has been wrong before, but still his track record isn’t the worst)
2.) The plan has changed since @marni1971 has heard about it (which is unlikely if it happened a few short weeks ago)

The mystery thickens...this better all not be for a spinner (which it likely is).

So let’s take what we know and discuss it.

1.) Set Designer on Returns said he helped design the “ride” and then slipped up and tried to cover his tracks.

2.) Marni says it’s a small scale attraction (carousel, “less charming dark ride” which I find the dark ride argument off the table, imagineers could use any ride system but it has to be a “smaller scale” as per Marni’s words.

3.) Going to be in the UK Pavilon (obviously)

4.) Jim Hill said that “Imaginners prepping rides and shows (which implies multiple) that have taken their inspiration from Mary Poppins Returns have been told to pump the breaks” The film hasn’t done bad for Disney...but it wasn’t the smash hit they wanted. I personally loved the movie but that’s besides the point.

5.) Marni heard about the ride being approved “very very recently” so we are probably talking weeks a month at the most. (Seems unlikely a small “budget” attraction would get pulled after just getting green lit possibly weeks ago. (I could be wrong on this but this is how I see it)

The mystery thickens...this definitely warrants further discussion. I’d like to see what some of our well seasoned members have to say about this @MisterPenguin anyone else wanting to chime in?

Really wish their was a sticky button...that way anyone reading this could just see all the facts laid out above don’t want this to get buried.
I just don't think Jim Hill is reliable.

This seems like a classic Jim Hill rumour that mixes a bit of existing rumours (a Mary Poppins attraction is planned for the UK pavilion) with some generally known information (Mary Poppins Returns was a bit of a disappointment at the box office) and draws a common sense conclusion (because MPR was a bit of a disappointment at the box office, Disney is having second thoughts about building the MP attraction at the UK pavilion).

This is how he has come up with stories for years.

britain

It’s possible that what Jim was hearing was the reasoning behind going with the carousel rather than a dark ride, but he is taking it to incorrectly mean that there won’t be any attraction.

ppete1975

I just don't think Jim Hill is reliable.

This seems like a classic Jim Hill rumour that mixes a bit of existing rumours (a Mary Poppins attraction is planned for the UK pavilion) with some generally known information (Mary Poppins Returns was a bit of a disappointment at the box office) and draws a common sense conclusion (because MPR was a bit of a disappointment at the box office, Disney is having second thoughts about building the MP attraction at the UK pavilion).

This is how he has come up with stories for years.
Jim hill to Disney is mike zeroh to star wars. Guess enough youre bound to be right. They are click baiters.

JoeCamel

Maybe they can do a 2:19 "dark ride" where they just air the original. If they have an intermission with a drink cart they could make bank in a tent.

HauntedMansionFLA

If they thought Mary Poppins was going to make Marvel/Star Wars/Frozen money, they were crazy. Everyone seems to like the new movie. I know a lot of people who didn’t go because they liked the original and didn’t want to ruin that memory. You have to be open minded going into the movie and give it a chance. I really enjoyed Solo and went in with the mindset that Harrison Ford would not be in the movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom