News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

SirWillow

Do kids really prefer carousels to dark rides, though? I don't have any, so who knows, but I am finding it hard to understand this argument that if all the rides at theme parks are too elaborate people will be disappointed.
Up until he was around 6 or 7 my son was terrified of many dark rides. Didn't like them, especially not the "dark" closed in feel of them. On the other hand he couldn't get enough of Carousels or other young child friendly outdoor flat rides. Even though he began to enjoy them when he was elementary school age, it wasn't until he was around 10 that he really began to enjoy them, along with roller coasters. Up to that point he was perfectly happy (actually, probably happier) if we skipped dark rides entirely.

My daughter on the other hand was always a bit more of a daredevil and would ride anything and everything. But she also got bored easily on things so she wasn't into reriding and didn't like things that were similar or like other things. So up until her teens if we'd done one ride within a couple of hours, she didn't want to ride something that was similar. Which made it a bit of a challenge her first time at Disneyland especially since we pushed her onto many of the dark rides all in a row. The next time we spread them out a bit more and she enjoyed them much more.

And after working on some rides, and knowing many others who have, I've learned that they aren't that unusual, and not just for kids. Which is why I keep saying that there needs to be a variety of types and levels.

doctornick

You know, the carousel isn't set in stone. There's alot of assuming going on the last few pages.

Yeah, unless I'm missing it, sounds like @marni1971 confirmed that it would not be a dark ride and hinted that the option chosen was disappointing to him. But I don't think anyone has confirmed a carousel as being the plan - people seem to be running with it, probably because of one being featured in the movie.

That said, I don't know if we even got confirmation that the theme will be Poppins. Seems there was some question earlier if Brave was back in the picture.

HauntedMansionFLA

Yeah, unless I'm missing it, sounds like @marni1971 confirmed that it would not be a dark ride and hinted that the option chosen was disappointing to him. But I don't think anyone has confirmed a carousel as being the plan - people seem to be running with it, probably because of one being featured in the movie.

That said, I don't know if we even got confirmation that the theme will be Poppins. Seems there was some question earlier if Brave was back in the picture.
What could they do with Brave? How would it fit in? Seriously 😐 I’m just curious of how it could be done.

rle4lunch

Do you have an idea of what else might be in the works?

Not a clue. I just think people are jumping on the low hanging fruit option. That's all fine, but Martin may be disappointed in something other than a carousel. I'm interested to find out tho. Right now there's not much that has our family stop at the UK pavilion. I bought a family Crest in there around 2003, and took a picture with the phone booth in 2012, lol.

Phicinfan

What could they do with Brave? How would it fit in? Seriously 😐 I’m just curious of how it could be done.
Well Brave is based in Scottland, which is part of the UK, I assume it was some type of dark ride reliving the movie...but no clear info was ever shared. Not sure why you would not think it would fit?

HauntedMansionFLA

Well Brave is based in Scottland, which is part of the UK, I assume it was some type of dark ride reliving the movie...but no clear info was ever shared. Not sure why you would not think it would fit?
Didn’t say it wouldn’t fit. Just wanted to know what might he proposed as an attraction.

cookiee_munster

If it was a carousel id love it to be a tiered one like at Tokyo disneysea, id love each tier to be themed around the three songs in the new movie; "Can you Imagine That" Under Water - "Trip a Little Light Fantastic" London Streets - "Nowhere to go but up" Balloons/Sky

EDIT - The film is amazing, I left with a lump in my throat. They spent a lot of time trying to keep the originals esence but keep it fresh. I swear, if the original was made today it would look and sound exactly like it's sequel.

jt04

They could do more than one spinner to avoid lines. Such as the carousel (Poppins) Tea Cups (Alice) and a parachute drop themed as balloons (WtP). Something similar to bugsland.

Small country fair setting. Food carts, plush, hot and cold seasonal drinks.

Timothy_Q

They could do more than one spinner to avoid lines. Such as the carousel (Poppins) Tea Cups (Alice) and a parachute drop themed as balloons (WtP). Something similar to bugsland.

Small country fair setting. Food carts, plush, hot and cold seasonal drinks.

Bocabear

Adding an area with carnival kiddie rides, no matter how nicely landscaped is not going to be a plus for ECPOT as a whole or World Showcase in particular...It will just cheapen the overall feel... Look at Chester and Hester in Animal Kingdom... We are still scratching out heads over that...though extremely well themed for what it is, just feels completely wrong.

jt04

Adding an area with carnival kiddie rides, no matter how nicely landscaped is not going to be a plus for ECPOT as a whole or World Showcase in particular...It will just cheapen the overall feel... Look at Chester and Hester in Animal Kingdom... We are still scratching out heads over that...though extremely well themed for what it is, just feels completely wrong.

Nah. A fair can be blended in thematically easily.

Bocabear

Nah. A fair can be blended in thematically easily.
So can Hanna-Barbera Characters, but is it the right decision to add carnival rides to a park like EPCOT/... Honestly had they updated the original attractions and finished out the building by adding an attraction to each World Showcase that didn't have one, there would have never been a need to have the discussion... No one would think it was a good idea to add carny rides...

jt04

So can Hanna-Barbera Characters, but is it the right decision to add carnival rides to a park like EPCOT/... Honestly had they updated the original attractions and finished out the building by adding an attraction to each World Showcase that didn't have one, there would have never been a need to have the discussion... No one would think it was a good idea to add carny rides...

Spinners and carousels go back to the beginning of Disneyland. They work if properly themed. IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom