News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

yensidtlaw1969

It's gonna be a meet and greet and Mary Poppins live story telling session that interacts with the audience... and maybe a movie/infomercial for London tourism.
Honestly, I would gladly take Enchanted Tales with Mary Poppins any day over a carousel -- imagine heading into the Nursery to meet her, some magic with her tidying things up with the snap of her fingers, some patter with her Umbrella Parrot in animatronic form . . . I'd argue she's a better character by a mile to get in a controlled environment than Belle.

I really can't understand why they would just go for the Dark Ride, I can't see how anything smaller is going to move the needle enough in terms of capacity to be worth the expense, but I suppose I'll take what we can get. Disappointed that it's not the dark ride, though. Would have loved to see a new one in the parks, and especially one for Mary Poppins.

CJR

I confirmed nothing.

:)

Just no Dumbo/Magic Carpets spinner and I'll be happy. My bar's pretty low.

A carousel does solve the issue of "which version of Poppins" quite easily. Plus, they could always add music should they make future films. Not at the top of my list, but it's an OK addition, should that be what it is.

A dark ride would have been amazing, something on Disneyland's Alice-level. Oh well. It's an addition, so I can't complain too much.

Scrooged

At this point I’d take ANYTHING Poppins related. I’m surprised that there isn’t a larger presence of her in the parks other than the MaG and some appearances in the morning show. (If I’m wrong on this please correct me.) I think a Poppins storytime or any type of situation with a stage show would be a great way to capitalize on the IP. Especially since the new movie did so well this past holiday season.

disneygeek90

At this point I’d take ANYTHING Poppins related. I’m surprised that there isn’t a larger presence of her in the parks other than the MaG and some appearances in the morning show. (If I’m wrong on this please correct me.) I think a Poppins storytime or any type of situation with a stage show would be a great way to capitalize on the IP. Especially since the new movie did so well this past holiday season.
I think that part of the reason on why it's not been done before is partially the copyright/Travers friction that still exists.

I think that was touched on somewhere within these past 264 pages... I can't remember anymore.

Casper Gutman

The point of the carousel is that it’s fine... “if you don’t wants to go anywhere,” but Mary being Mary converts it into a fantastic adventure. WDW seems to be looking at this and saying “let’s take out the fantasy... and the adventure.” There is nothing particularly special about the Poppins carousel in and of itself.

To the people arguing that Disney parks needs A and B tickets... why? As fans, our goal should be nothing but Es. There is little Disney Magic that can imbued into a flat ride that can’t also be found at Six Flags, whereas even the most basic dark ride like Toad achieves a level of artistry found in very, very few other parks. No one goes to the Louvre and says “well, this is all fine, but we need some black velvet portraits of Elvis for variety.” There is not one dark ride at a Disney park I’d want to see gone and not one flat whose removal would bother me.

As to other common pro-flat arguments, flats, as far as I know, aren’t particularly helpful in terms of capacity - a ride like Monsters Inc eats more people than Arthur’s Carousel, and omnimovers dwarf a flats hourly capacity. The only real argument is an economic one, and its one we shouldn’t accept. Disney has the money, and even with the current construction projects they aren’t close to making up for well over a decade of neglect.

Look, EPCOT has no vision, and given the modern corporate environment, it is almost impossible it will ever have a real one again - that would require Disney to say something about the way the world is and should be, which is dangerously close to expressing an ideaology, something it will never do explicitly. Putting dark rides based on country-specific IPs in World Showcase at least offers an avenue for growth, one preferable to things like GotG in FW. A few days ago I was thinking that with Rat, a Mary Poppins dark ride, and one more dark ride in another country, I’d really be excited to visit EPCOT again. Of course, I had forgotten this was WDW in the 21st century.

rle4lunch

Honestly, I would gladly take Enchanted Tales with Mary Poppins any day over a carousel -- imagine heading into the Nursery to meet her, some magic with her tidying things up with the snap of her fingers, some patter with her Umbrella Parrot in animatronic form . . . I'd argue she's a better character by a mile to get in a controlled environment than Belle.

I really can't understand why they would just go for the Dark Ride, I can't see how anything smaller is going to move the needle enough in terms of capacity to be worth the expense, but I suppose I'll take what we can get. Disappointed that it's not the dark ride, though. Would have loved to see a new one in the parks, and especially one for Mary Poppins.

I think it would be LIGHT YEARS better than a carousel. I think what they've done with live storytelling at DL and MK are great for the kiddos, and more satisfying than riding a disease ridden plastic horse.

mikejs78

Premium Member
To the people arguing that Disney parks needs A and B tickets... why? As fans, our goal should be nothing but Es. There is little Disney Magic that can imbued into a flat ride that can’t also be found at Six Flags, whereas even the most basic dark ride like Toad achieves a level of artistry found in very, very few other parks. No one goes to the Louvre and says “well, this is all fine, but we need some black velvet portraits of Elvis for variety.” There is not one dark ride at a Disney park I’d want to see gone and not one flat whose removal would bother me.
Wait, on one hand you say everything needs to be an E, and on the other hand you point to a C-Ticket as an example?

Casper Gutman

Wait, on one hand you say everything needs to be an E, and on the other hand you point to a C-Ticket as an example?
The A-E ticket thing is admittedly imprecise. Let’s rephrase: the Disney fan’s goal should be nothing but masterpieces (especially at modern prices). The least they should accept happily are rides that are uniquely, specifically “Disney.” I would argue Toad fits that description. I would also argue almost all flats don’t. There is nothing particularly special about any WDW flat ride.

Now, you wanna argue about Carsland? That’s a valid point... I’d consider those flats “Disney.” BUT those flats are very unique. Even more importantly, they are in addition to a dark ride, not instead of one. If we were getting a carousel AND a Poppins carousel, I’d be happy with one and shrug about the other. But this is all we’re going to get for Poppins, one of the greatest films in cinema history.

peter11435

A well-done Mary Poppins carousel, by definition, is creative. They’ve never done it before.
Absolutely. My point was just that Disney has a long history of building these sorts of attractions. So to say that this attraction is not adequate because Disney Is known for their creativity is a misrepresentation of the facts. Since clearly Disney is also known for building creative installations of flat spinner rides.

Bostb71

They made this pretty spinny ride

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom