News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

SirWillow

So, because of Six Flags, EPCOT should have spinner rides? A carousel is just a carousel...Sure they could put Mary Poppins themed animals on it, and you know what? It is still a carousel... In this day of Disney I do not see them doing a carousel that will be spectacular or trasnportive or amazing... It is just going to be a carousel...Which really belongs in the Magic Kingdom. A carousel is not uniquely british...It does nothing to advance the storyline of the UK Pavilion... it would just be another thing...

I think you completely missed the point. lol I meant that it needs a balance of different ride types/ classes. The Six Flags park I mentioned has basically roller coasters and a kids area and just about nothing else. Not even "spinners" as you seem to be stuck on. :) If you're teen and up, about all it has is roller coasters- they've removed almost all of the "A/B/C/D" class of rides, and it really hurts the park.

That's what I meant by balance.

And we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether or not a carousel would be a good fit in UK or not.

Creathir

A carousel can be themed really well, and given that it is featured prominently in the movie, it certainly fits.

As Mister Penguin stated, themed right, it could be a pretty cool attraction.

Hearing the songs, seeing chalk drawings, or even seeing people DRAW them everyday... having the canon on top of the admiral’s house go off on the hour...

It could be magical.

jt04

Not at all what Epcot was suppose to be. Grrr, I hate that people want Epcot to turn into another Magic Kingdom our Islands of Adventure Park. Does “Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow” have no meaning anymore?

That ship sailed when Walt did.

Pretty sure everything that can be said has been said about why E.P.C.O.T. Center was not a long term strategy. World Fairs come and go. Progress.

Bocabear

I think you completely missed the point. lol I meant that it needs a balance of different ride types/ classes. The Six Flags park I mentioned has basically roller coasters and a kids area and just about nothing else. Not even "spinners" as you seem to be stuck on. :) If you're teen and up, about all it has is roller coasters- they've removed almost all of the "A/B/C/D" class of rides, and it really hurts the park.

That's what I meant by balance.

And we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether or not a carousel would be a good fit in UK or not.
Well it would certainly be the bargain route for Disney...Why have original world class attractions when people are happy for a Merry Go Round...albeit with custom horses....
Six Flags is not an appropriate comparison for the Theme Park... It is just an Amusement Park...
And while I do believe in a mix of experiences as well, The World Showcase needs attractions that really showcase the Country Pavilions...not just "something to do"...

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Debate over EPCOT direction is futile at this point as we know the direction things are heading at this point. That said, I really hope that some impressive attractions are coming. I don’t mind having a carrousel but it needs to be part of something grander. If not Disney is going to upset the life long EPCOT fans as well as not impress potential new fans all in the same “refresh”. EPCOT needs some real draws to this park once again. We hear more negative about EPCOT than any other park family or friends visit. We still enjoy the park, but we approach this park with a different mindset.

ToTBellHop

Debate over EPCOT direction is futile at this point as we know the direction things are heading at this point. That said, I really hope that some impressive attractions are coming. I don’t mind having a carrousel but it needs to be part of something grander. If not Disney is going to upset the life long EPCOT fans as well as not impress potential new fans all in the same “refresh”. EPCOT needs some real draws to this park once again. We hear more negative about EPCOT than any other park family or friends visit. We still enjoy the park, but we approach this park with a different mindset.
You know the direction Epcot is headed? I didn't think Disney knew.

montyz81

That ship sailed when Walt did.

Pretty sure everything that can be said has been said about why E.P.C.O.T. Center was not a long term strategy. World Fairs come and go. Progress.
You mean Epcot Center. I get your comment though. I still firmly believe a blend of what was Epcot Center and a thrill-seeking IP based park that educates about the future and world cultures can be achieved. I think if Disney had put a bit more money into it, we can see that idea taking shape in the Seas Pavilion. I just do not think the idea of what Epcot was, needed to be abandoned completely. Certainly not the way they are doing it to Energy. The concept of IP based education about The Land, the Seas, transportation, energy, life, imagination could easily be done tastefully. Add in a bit of thrill similar to what 7DMT does (coaster that acts like an Omni mover at certain points) and you have a park that blows away Islands of Adventure. Now you have addressed the purists and the whitespace customers.

jt04

For those of you who are on Team Dark Ride, remember that our insiders are telling us this is not going to be a big budget E-Ticket, even if it were a Dark Ride. Do you all want a repeat of Na'vi River Journey but just Poppins themed?

Rather have spinners than a budget friendly dark ride. Then they could always do an E Ticket in the future.

jt04

You mean Epcot Center. I get your comment though. I still firmly believe a blend of what was Epcot Center and a thrill-seeking IP based park that educates about the future and world cultures can be achieved. I think if Disney had put a bit more money into it, we can see that idea taking shape in the Seas Pavilion. I just do not think the idea of what Epcot was, needed to be abandoned completely. Certainly not the way they are doing it to Energy. The concept of IP based education about The Land, the Seas, transportation, energy, life, imagination could easily be done tastefully. Add in a bit of thrill similar to what 7DMT does (coaster that acts like an Omni mover at certain points) and you have a park that blows away Islands of Adventure. Now you have addressed the purists and the whitespace customers.

I hear what your saying. For instance a Titanic based science ride etc. I just think fantasy and sci-fi plays to Disney's strengths. And most importantly, guest's expectations. IMO.

FigmentFan82

Rather have spinners than a budget friendly dark ride. Then they could always do an E Ticket in the future.
If NRJ was consistently a 15min or less wait it wouldn't be that bad. It would have been a nice complement to a 3rd ride in Pandora. But one definitly does not feel like they've gottne their "money's worth" if you have to wait an hour+. When everything starts coming online in Epcot, a short dark ride wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
For those of you who are on Team Dark Ride, remember that our insiders are telling us this is not going to be a big budget E-Ticket, even if it were a Dark Ride. Do you all want a repeat of Na'vi River Journey but just Poppins themed?
YES! For instance, I would rather have Grand Fiesta Tour than a Sombrero spinner. I would rather have Maelstrom/Frozen Ever After than a Norway spinner

Bocabear

ah, but you see, they wouldn't...they would figure they added an attraction and they are done. I would rather have a beautiful Budget dark ride than a carousel spinner...At least it would be creative and unique...
And yes, an amazingly themed carousel could be extraordinary, but let's face it...that is not what we would get.

yensidtlaw1969

If I have a choice between riding the Alice in Wonderland dark ride or The Mad Tea Party, I pick the dark ride every time.

If I had the choice between riding Na'vi River Journey or a Woodsprite Spinner, I'd choose Na'vi River Journey every time.

I'd gladly take a Poppins-themed C-Ticket over a Carousel. The property deserves an E-Ticket, but a C is still better than a B or an A.

The Pho

The best thing about Disney dark rides is they are unique to Disney. Spinners and carousels can be found with the same quality in hundreds if not thousands of other places. Amusement parks have them all over the world, and quite often they are just in a normal park on a beach or next to a garden. The themed dark ride is something that is rare, so that is why I lean towards wanting one. I prefer the experience that I can’t find anywhere else. Even a lesser dark ride is better than a common spinner.

jt04

I would rather not settle for a C ticket dark ride in World Showcase. Anywhere else I get the argument. But WS should be more than that. Spinner is a good stop gap measure.

seascape

I love NRJ. if you look at all the scenery it is a beautiful ride. Yes it is flat and short but everytime I go on it, 7 times so far, I see something I missed before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom