News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

flyerjab

And a Bah Humbug to you. LOL...It is weird that they are releasing two 'adults who lost their imagination/magic/whimsy' movies in the same year. At least this one is a musical.

Aren’t the reasons for loss of said whimsy dramatically different? Christopher Robin loses his in the maze of adulthood. I don’t know the storyline for MPR but it seems as though their loss of happiness and wonder is due to the death of their wife/mother? That seems a bit more hard hitting.

Kman101

Does nobody else realize that Mary Poppins returns is just a bigger budget, musical Christopher Robin? British character that was a child in the classic is now an adult man that lost all belief in magic. Now an old childhood friend returns to help him regain the sense of magic and solve whatever adulting problem he is having.

Most Disney movies follow a similar pattern :joyfull: but yes I noticed that as well. I'm not upset by it. I like the trope. But one right after the other is kind of LOL and it's fairly blatant.

Spash007

Most Disney movies follow a similar pattern :joyfull: but yes I noticed that as well. I'm not upset by it. I like the trope. But one right after the other is kind of LOL and it's fairly blatant.

Honestly this is exactly what Disney is doing with their marketing - taking IPs that current adults enjoyed as kids, and trying to re-create that wonder by taping into their nostalgia.

geekza

Honestly this is exactly what Disney every studio is doing with their marketing - taking IPs that current adults enjoyed as kids, and trying to re-create that wonder by taping into their nostalgia.

FTFY. Yeah, as much as I've enjoyed some of the throwback entertainment that has been all the rage in the past few years, I'm ready for some new stories.

Kman101

Honestly this is exactly what Disney is doing with their marketing - taking IPs that current adults enjoyed as kids, and trying to re-create that wonder by taping into their nostalgia.

Yep. I can't say I blame them. People are going to see them. I know many find it lazy but I don't mind. I do think it's becoming overkill. I mean, there's so many remakes coming. LOL. I'm a sucker for 'em (not all) but I see exactly what you see with them and their strategy. It's working I guess.

rle4lunch

Yep. I can't say I blame them. People are going to see them. I know many find it lazy but I don't mind. I do think it's becoming overkill. I mean, there's so many remakes coming. LOL. I'm a sucker for 'em (not all) but I see exactly what you see with them and their strategy. It's working I guess.

Hey, at least it isn't a superhero movie, right? Right? Or Star Wars XII... lol. I don't see it as a problem, considering that 90% of their live action remakes have been quality entertainment.

cjgren

Ahem. There was a musical done of the book. There were also two filmed versions of the book, one of which was a musical and the other that just had songs for the Oompa Loompas, like in the book. I adore the songs from the 1971 film, but the stage version isn't bad, either. Let us not speak of the Tim Burton film again. lol

I was actually referring to Catch Me if You Can, not Willy Wonka. ;)

Timothy_Q

Lol guess I should read the books. Still the Banks family?
The books are almost totally different from the film, hence P.L. Travers' rabid dislike of it.
Yeah she disliked the movie, but the events are basically all taken from the books

Mary Poppins always comes back to the Banks family.
And in the first sequel, she shows up through the kite that Michael is flying, just like they're doing in the new movie

geekza

Yeah she disliked the movie, but the events are basically all taken from the books

Mary Poppins always comes back to the Banks family.
And in the first sequel, she shows up through the kite that Michael is flying, just like they're doing in the new movie
I mean, yes and no. Situations in the movie are taken from the books, but the books are incredibly episodic (even moreso than the film) and don't really have much in the way of an emotional core. Mary is quite stern, proper, and a little cold. It's kind of like the difference between the book and film of The Shining. They have similarities, but handle the story, tone, and characters completely differently.

Timothy_Q

I mean, yes and no. Situations in the movie are taken from the books, but the books are incredibly episodic (even moreso than the film) and don't really have much in the way of an emotional core. Mary is quite stern, proper, and a little cold. It's kind of like the difference between the book and film of The Shining. They have similarities, but handle the story, tone, and characters completely differently.
True.

But my point being, Mary Poppins always comes back to the Banks family in the sequels.
The second movie should stick to that (as it does)

Rich Brownn

All you need to know is PL Travers' idea of Mary Poppins on film was Bette Davis. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom