News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

PorterRedkey

I feel almost the opposite. The trailer didn't quite get me there...but I'm still optimistic for this movie.
I was sooooooo against this movie. I questioned, "WHY make this?" My thought money!

However, despite my initial thoughts, this seems like a great reintroduction to Poppins for the younger set. Mary is an incredible character and IMHO it looks like Emily Blunt has the look, accent, and attitude down. The fact the story looks into the same family, who stopped believing and are reintroduced to Mary is a great story arc.
Now it all depends on execution, but I think this movie has the right components to make it really good. All to my surprise. I just hope the music numbers are done well.

Timothy_Q

I was sooooooo against this movie. I questioned, "WHY make this?" My thought money!

However, despite my initial thoughts, this seems like a great reintroduction to Poppins for the younger set. Mary is an incredible character and IMHO it looks like Emily Blunt has the look, accent, and attitude down. The fact the story looks into the same family, who stopped believing and are reintroduced to Mary is a great story arc.
Now it all depends on execution, but I think this movie has the right components to make it really good. All to my surprise. I just hope the music numbers are done well.
I think the biggest challenge will be the music

Mary Poppins has tons of songs, all of which are beautiful and iconic.
The sequel has big shoes to fill (or a big bag, rather)

PorterRedkey

I think the biggest challenge will be the music

Mary Poppins has tons of songs, all of which are beautiful and iconic.
The sequel has big shoes to fill (or a big bag, rather)

I completely agree.

The original used music to introduce/expand the characters. I hope the music serves a similar purpose and is memorable - unlike the songs added to BatB.

PorterRedkey

Does nobody else realize that Mary Poppins returns is just a bigger budget, musical Christopher Robin? British character that was a child in the classic is now an adult man that lost all belief in magic. Now an old childhood friend returns to help him regain the sense of magic and solve whatever adulting problem he is having.
I see your point.

Personally, I think it works better for Poppins. CR was about an author who created the characters, Mary was a real person who visited the Banks family. Even if she is magical, she did exist. This is the main difference between Mary and CR.

brb1006

I see your point.

Personally, I think it works better for Poppins. CR was about an author who created the characters, Mary was a real person who visited the Banks family. Even if she is magical, she did exist. This is the main difference between Mary and CR.
I think you're confusing Christopher Robin with the Fox biopic "Goodbye Christopher Robin" which focused on the author and the real Christopher Robin while Disney's Christopher Robin focused on the Disney's version of Christopher Robin and the Pooh characters

Todd H

Does nobody else realize that Mary Poppins returns is just a bigger budget, musical Christopher Robin? British character that was a child in the classic is now an adult man that lost all belief in magic. Now an old childhood friend returns to help him regain the sense of magic and solve whatever adulting problem he is having.

spoiler-alert-gif-8.gif

PorterRedkey

I think you're confusing Christopher Robin with the Fox biopic "Goodbye Christopher Robin" which focused on the author and the real Christopher Robin while Disney's Christopher Robin focused on the Disney's version of Christopher Robin and the Pooh characters
You may be right.
In the Disney's version were the Pooh characters real? Or were they talking to the author in his mind? If so, my point remains.

Oh, brb1006, I don't mean to be harsh. I think you are a great contributor to this forum and I am always appreciative that you give so much input. (most of which I agree with.)

PorterRedkey

The songs are from the two guys who wrote "Hairspray" as well as "Catch me If You Can" and "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory". They do know how to write good songs :)
"Catch Me if You Can" had songs? I don't remember that. I did enjoy the movie!
The Charlie and the Chocolate movie and its songs were bad IMHO.

bcoachable

or Hook?
Still loved C Robin, and am pretty sure I will this one too!

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I loved Christopher Robin. I will never look at a red balloon the same way again.

But yes, I totally thought the same thing watching the trailer. Definitely feels like CR with a female lead and a whole lot of musical numbers. Throughout the whole of CR though, I kept wishing Colin Firth was playing Christopher. And now it looks like Mary Poppins Returns is going to rectify this oversight. 😂 Most British-centric movies need more Colin Firth in my opinion.

CraftyFox

Back to the carousel topic, there is variety of ride at fairgrounds (particularly in the UK) called a “derby ride”. I believe there is one at Legoland in California. Essentially, they are carousel horses on a roller coaster type track. While definitely not nearly as ambitious or large as a dark ride, this could be an interesting possibility.

CraftyFox

The music from the broadway version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory along with it’s West End version have excellent music in my opinion, and I highly suggest you check it out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom