News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

djkidkaz

I'm thinking this is definitely happening. Think about what they are doing with France by adding a large facade area for Ratatouille which also in turn hides backstage. The gondolas are going to be loading and unloading right by International Gateway within view of backstage and World Showplace. If they remove the Showplace and add an attraction building with theming that would also help to not ruin the view of Guests entering from gondolas. I noticed the other day that they cut down a ton of trees by International Gateway and you could clearly see backstage areas and that's just from the ground level.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Its the UK queue experience, isn't it? Just a queue leading to a recreation of a British queue...
Nobody queues as politely as the British. Maybe we could have queue demonstrations in each World Showcase pavilion showing how people in each country wait in line. In the UK, we all frown but politely wait our turn. In Canada, we smile and apologize a lot. In France, we devise ways to distract people so we can take cuts (my experience at DLP). In Japan, we trample each other and run like banshees to get to the queue, and then wait excitedly (my experience at TDL). In the US, there is no queue, just a a place for everybody to try to push to the front.

Bender123

Nobody queues as politely as the British. Maybe we could have queue demonstrations in each World Showcase pavilion showing how people in each country wait in line. In the UK, we all frown but politely wait our turn. In Canada, we smile and apologize a lot. In France, we devise ways to distract people so we can take cuts (my experience at DLP). In Japan, we trample each other and run like banshees to get to the queue, and then wait excitedly (my experience at TDL). In the US, there is no queue, just a a place for everybody to try to push to the front.

China would be a madhouse...Americans will wait in really inefficient lines, but Chinese people seem to have no idea what the function of a line is.

yensidtlaw1969

I think it's possible pretty much settled. But I'm not giving the game away on this one, sorry. Mickey has big ears and all that.

Suffice to say it has been mentioned already.
Sounds like the choice of IP should be relatively surprising - there hasn't been a clear leader from synergy's perspective outside of Poppins, what with her forthcoming movie. If it's not that, then it seems they're reaching at least a short distance into the vault towards a property whose film is already released.

Dr.GrantSeeker

I think it's possible pretty much settled. But I'm not giving the game away on this one, sorry. Mickey has big ears and all that.

Suffice to say it has been mentioned already.

Ok so now that @marni1971 has pretty much confirmed Disney has made a decision on IP/attraction. Let us recap what we have mentioned in this thread as Martin also said it was something we mentioned.

Brief Attraction Recap
It could have been a D. Now it's looking more likely to be a B.

But it's still not finalised from what I know.

Attraction wise what we know so far is that it will range from B/C/D. But most likely a B

Also that the attraction is:
It is not a carousel or Ferris wheel
Dark ride was one of the proposals, not looking likely now
Not a boat or a roller coaster

No carousel no London Eye.

Plus the gondolas will draw your eye anyway.

IP Recap
We named a ton of different IP’s so forgive me if I missed any as I was skimming this entire thread. But here is a list of what we all have been discussing.
Have been denied by insiders:
Mr. Toad
Dr. Who
James Bond
Mary Poppins

Not denied and are possible: In no particular order

Loch Ness Monster
Robin Hood
Alice in Wonderland
Sword in the Stone
101 Dalmatians
Peter Pan
Winnie the Pooh
Brave
Narnia
Mickey and the Beanstalk
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
The BFG

As of recently Marni stated Mary Poppins is not a front runner
As of last week Poppins was not the front runner.

Here is a list of my opinions for top contenders:
  1. Alice in Wonderland
  2. Brave
  3. The Sword in the Stone
  4. Robin Hood
  5. 101 Dalmatians
  6. Peter Pan
I know there are definitely some I missed. But IMO I can't see anything else under consideration other than what has been mentioned above.

Edit: To include Mary Poppins which has now been denied by @WDW1974

Last edited:

Phineas

Speaking from personal preference, I hope that it's not Brave. The animators deserved the Oscar for the animation of Merida's hair alone, but the movie itself could have been so much better-especially if you look into its rocky production history.

If Poppins is out, and it looks like it is, I'd be happy with Alice-the Disneyland ride is charming, at least from the videos I've seen.

What'd be really fun is if they went with an unlikely IP-Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone, 101 Dalmatians, etc. And I'm one of those select few that feel like Black Cauldron is an under-appreciated film-and would love an attraction based on that, but I also know Disney is more likely to release Song of the South on blu ray than they are to build a dark ride featuring the Horned King. It wouldn't fit the UK theme, anyway.

Here's hoping we get some actual information soon, though this back and forth isn't entirely unpleasant.

nickys

Premium Member
They've already kind of road tested a Brave attraction.....

Back in 2012 they had the mini Highland games running at Epcot to promote the movie. Now they could actually just adapt that a bit, move Merida from the MK and there you have it for little outlay. Granted it's not a ride though, so my next question for @marni1971 is this: "can you confirm if this is an actual ride?". Appreciating that he may not be able to answer. ;)

I should add I really hope this is a ride, and not some cheap attraction. And actually the argument against this idea is the completion date, as this would take a few months at most to install, and I'm positive our insiders have said after Rat.

Princess Leia

They've already kind of road tested a Brave attraction.....

Back in 2012 they had the mini Highland games running at Epcot to promote the movie. Now they could actually just adapt that a bit, move Merida from the MK and there you have it for little outlay. Granted it's not a ride though, so my next question for @marni1971 is this: "can you confirm if this is an actual ride?". Appreciating that he may not be able to answer. ;)

I should add I really hope this is a ride, and not some cheap attraction. And actually the argument against this idea is the completion date, as this would take a few months at most to install, and I'm positive our insiders have said after Rat.
Yep, it's after Rat now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom