• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rumor Proposed Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

rle4lunch

Honestly, I would gladly take Enchanted Tales with Mary Poppins any day over a carousel -- imagine heading into the Nursery to meet her, some magic with her tidying things up with the snap of her fingers, some patter with her Umbrella Parrot in animatronic form . . . I'd argue she's a better character by a mile to get in a controlled environment than Belle.

I really can't understand why they would just go for the Dark Ride, I can't see how anything smaller is going to move the needle enough in terms of capacity to be worth the expense, but I suppose I'll take what we can get. Disappointed that it's not the dark ride, though. Would have loved to see a new one in the parks, and especially one for Mary Poppins.
I think it would be LIGHT YEARS better than a carousel. I think what they've done with live storytelling at DL and MK are great for the kiddos, and more satisfying than riding a disease ridden plastic horse.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Advertisement
To the people arguing that Disney parks needs A and B tickets... why? As fans, our goal should be nothing but Es. There is little Disney Magic that can imbued into a flat ride that can’t also be found at Six Flags, whereas even the most basic dark ride like Toad achieves a level of artistry found in very, very few other parks. No one goes to the Louvre and says “well, this is all fine, but we need some black velvet portraits of Elvis for variety.” There is not one dark ride at a Disney park I’d want to see gone and not one flat whose removal would bother me.
Wait, on one hand you say everything needs to be an E, and on the other hand you point to a C-Ticket as an example?

Casper Gutman

Wait, on one hand you say everything needs to be an E, and on the other hand you point to a C-Ticket as an example?
The A-E ticket thing is admittedly imprecise. Let’s rephrase: the Disney fan’s goal should be nothing but masterpieces (especially at modern prices). The least they should accept happily are rides that are uniquely, specifically “Disney.” I would argue Toad fits that description. I would also argue almost all flats don’t. There is nothing particularly special about any WDW flat ride.

Now, you wanna argue about Carsland? That’s a valid point... I’d consider those flats “Disney.” BUT those flats are very unique. Even more importantly, they are in addition to a dark ride, not instead of one. If we were getting a carousel AND a Poppins carousel, I’d be happy with one and shrug about the other. But this is all we’re going to get for Poppins, one of the greatest films in cinema history.

peter11435

A well-done Mary Poppins carousel, by definition, is creative. They’ve never done it before.
Absolutely. My point was just that Disney has a long history of building these sorts of attractions. So to say that this attraction is not adequate because Disney Is known for their creativity is a misrepresentation of the facts. Since clearly Disney is also known for building creative installations of flat spinner rides.

Mat Cauthon

I'm not in the expect better group but I'm definitely meh on a carousel. I can ride that at the local kiddie park. And no, a well done Mary Poppins theme will not make it a better ride just nicer to look at for me. Spinners, even carousels, are just not my cup of tea.

MansionButler84

I'm not in the expect better group but I'm definitely meh on a carousel. I can ride that at the local kiddie park. And no, a well done Mary Poppins theme will not make it a better ride just nicer to look at for me. Spinners, even carousels, are just not my cup of tea.
At local amusement park:

Magic Carpets
Dumbo
Fantasyland Carousel
Tomorrowland Speedway
Mad Tea Party
Astro Orbiter
Fantasyland dark rides like Pooh (not so much Peter Pan)
Shoot-em-up like Buzz
Barnstormer
Whip ride like A S S
TriceraTop Spin
Primeval Whirl

While they aren’t the highlights in the parks for many, they are for some, and many are iconic in the parks.

yensidtlaw1969

At local amusement park:

Magic Carpets
Dumbo
Fantasyland Carousel
Tomorrowland Speedway
Mad Tea Party
Astro Orbiter
Fantasyland dark rides like Pooh (not so much Peter Pan)
Shoot-em-up like Buzz
Barnstormer
Whip ride like A S S
TriceraTop Spin
Primeval Whirl

While they aren’t the highlights in the parks for many, they are for some, and many are iconic in the parks.
When we spoke of a Dark Ride for Mary Poppins in the UK Pavilion, the above bolded is what I'd imagined we'd be getting - a busbar ride with blacklight visuals and a few magic tricks sprinkled in.

Can anyone speak to how far off that is from what they were actually considering? Since it seems we're not getting it . . .

atighe42

For those of you who are on Team Dark Ride, remember that our insiders are telling us this is not going to be a big budget E-Ticket, even if it were a Dark Ride. Do you all want a repeat of Na'vi River Journey but just Poppins themed?
10000%. Coming from someone who doesn't mind NRJ,
There was enough for my pretty little dark ride. Which we're not getting now.

However, things are moving forward now with this project.
Woof. How disappointing. I just don’t see the point of the project at all without the dark ride. Oh well. What a shame.

MansionButler84

When we spoke of a Dark Ride for Mary Poppins in the UK Pavilion, the above bolded is what I'd imagined we'd be getting - a busbar ride with blacklight visuals and a few magic tricks sprinkled in.

Can anyone speak to how far off that is from what they were actually considering? Since it seems we're not getting it . . .
It certainly would have fit in amongst Fantasyland dark rides.

disneygeek90

SirWillow

Let's not forget this beauty. Honestly one of the prettiest most fun carousels I've seen. We're still upset that they removed it from DCA. It was just a fantastic little ride.

The Caro-Seuss-el at Universal Islands of Adventure is another example of a themed carousel that really in many ways is the centerpiece of that area of the park and a big favorite with visitors. Take those ideas, combine them with the Columbia carousels pictured above and you have an idea of what Disney can do to make it visually stunning, attractive, themed and fit in well- and be something that people will love.

It's amusing though reading some of the comments from those that don't understand that parks need a balance of rides and experiences, to attract people of all types, offer something for everyone, and fit things within certain budgets. If you insist on only blockbusters, or no "spinners" as some are hung up on, then your park will go bankrupt because it doesn't offer a variety and balance.

The blockbusters may draw them in, but it's the little things that keep them coming back over and over again.

Casper Gutman

View attachment 349745

Let's not forget this beauty. Honestly one of the prettiest most fun carousels I've seen. We're still upset that they removed it from DCA. It was just a fantastic little ride.

The Caro-Seuss-el at Universal Islands of Adventure is another example of a themed carousel that really in many ways is the centerpiece of that area of the park and a big favorite with visitors. Take those ideas, combine them with the Columbia carousels pictured above and you have an idea of what Disney can do to make it visually stunning, attractive, themed and fit in well- and be something that people will love.

It's amusing though reading some of the comments from those that don't understand that parks need a balance of rides and experiences, to attract people of all types, offer something for everyone, and fit things within certain budgets. If you insist on only blockbusters, or no "spinners" as some are hung up on, then your park will go bankrupt because it doesn't offer a variety and balance.

The blockbusters may draw them in, but it's the little things that keep them coming back over and over again.
Funny, MGM did alright with no flats. So did EPCOT. In fact, many here, myself included, consider no-flat EPCOT a lost masterpiece. And these boards just love AKs flats - ironically, I’m one of the very few I’ve ever seen defend them on here.

This “well, every park needs flats...” is a line that emerged in the wake of the horribly disappointing TSL announcement.

Top Bottom