News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

mickhyperion

Tony Baxter once said on the Season Pass Podcast that he felt that the 'Castle Parks' are supposed to "take the magical, and make it real". And he said that EPCOT is supposed to "take the real, and make it magical." And the studios were, obviously, about "how the magic is made." I don't think he mentioned AK.

He said that you could theoretically put any IP into any park as long as you remained true to that. As an example, he said Indiana Jones, at the studios, is a stunt show demonstrating how an Indy movie was made. At Disneyland, the whole fantastical adventure is 'made real' and you are in the ancient temple with Indy.

Now here's the kicker:

He said you could put Indy in EPCOT as long as he was serving the purpose making the real magical. Use Indiana Jones to educate about actual archeological history in Mexico, perhaps. Or do something about real cultures, framed with an Indiana Jones lens.

I don't think that would be exactly what the public really wants out of Indy, and now the studio is shedding the "magic making" in favor of more "magic made real".

So, I think you could apply this reasoning to Poppins in the UK. But again, I don't quite think it would be what the people want out of a Poppins attraction.

Hmmm, well known Disney properties related to the UK....

-Fun and Fancy Free (Mickey and the Beanstalk)
-The Wind in the Willows (Mr. Toad)
-Alice in Wonderland*
-Peter Pan*
-101 Dalmatians
-Sword in the Stone
-Mary Poppins
-Robin Hood
-Winnie the Pooh*
-The Great Muppet Caper
-The Great Mouse Detective
-Chronicles of Narnia
-Brave

*This property is already the main property in an existing attraction in a WDW park.

Something related to the British Invasion of music in the 60's would be a neat non-IP concept. A Yellow Submarine remake was considered by Disney several years ago. That would make for a pretty colorful and culturally relevant attraction.
A trip through British literature would be very EPCOT Center (with a nod to Imagination)... "take the real, and make it magical"... and they could also shove in as much IP as they wanted.

SpaceMountain77

I realize that this is an absurd wish, but I would be thrilled with the announcement of a Bedknobs & Broomsticks attraction, featuring beds that would allow guests to fly over the sites of London, Portobello Road, and Pepperinge Eye.
MPW-47765

Phicinfan

I realize that this is an absurd wish, but I would be thrilled with the announcement of a Bedknobs & Broomsticks attraction, featuring beds that would allow guests to fly over the sites of London, Portobello Road, and Pepperinge Eye.
MPW-47765
I am with you there. I am not a huge Mary Poppins fan for this, I would much rather see Sword in the Stone(huge Arthurian legend fan) or Bed knobs and broomsticks instead.

Princess Leia

The rain in Spain, falls mainly on the plain....

no no no. AGAIN!!! *smacks hand with a ruler.*

enter **** Van **** and his terrible cockney accent.
Seriously though, imagine that you're walking down the UK pavilion, and at the end of the road is an old library, styled like Oxford University's Bodleian library.
oxford-library_1886228b.jpg

You go through the winding queue of library shelves, stacked with books of all ages (but all have English, Scottish, Welsh, and N. Irish authors). You see names like Chaucer, Austen, Shakespeare, Dickens, Conan Doyle, Bronte, Orwell, Travers, and Lewis, their stories you are about to discover. You keep walking, but are the books getting larger or are you getting smaller?

You turn a corner and see the loading platform. The ride vehicle is a semi-open book. You hear The Librarian (voiced by Julie Andrews) tell you that you will be going on a journey through some of the most beloved tales of Britain. You step into your (trackless) vehicle, and off it goes, turning the corner around several large books (or it could be a book that opens for you).

The Librarian introduces "The Knight's Tale" from "Canterbury Tales". We see a brief scene from the tournament, and go through another book.

"Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" To our left the balcony scene from Romeo & Juliet is taking place... on a stage. We see the play's audience to our right. The Bookmobile turns another corner, and from here, there are sections to distinguish different genres of literature.

Tales of Love
The sound of rain patters around us. "In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.'' The proposal/rejection scene from "Pride and Prejudice" occurs as The Librarian mentions how important Jane Austen would be for women in literature. We go through another book and to our left we see Heathcliff haunted by Catherine, and Mr. Rochester being comforted by Jane Eyre to our right. George and Lucy from "A Room with a View" are also represented before we see that...

Tales of Horror are around the corner, The Narrator warns, and we see Dr. Jekyll turn into Mr. Hyde (if Disney can turn a skeleton into Jack Sparrow in Shanghai, they can manage this). Frankenstein's monster is thrown out by Frankenstein (does Universal have the rights to the story or only the film?) and Bram Stoker's Dracula lurks nearby (I know Stoker was Irish, but technically Ireland was part of the UK in his lifetime). We are surrounded by ominous screens and white noise, courtesy of Big Brother (I figured this was probably the best way to include Orwell). We escape through an open book to...

Tales of Adventure
Robert Louis Stevenson is again included with "Treasure Island". We pass a scene of Moby Dick and the whale. Scenes from Beowolf and Robin Hood are seen before we see H.G. Well's The Time Machine, which transports us to...

Tales of Mystery

Agatha Christie's "Murder on the Orient Express" is represented, and we see Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson discussing a case at 221B Baker Street (since Cumberbatch and Freeman are both involved with Disney via Marvel, maybe they could even provide the voices). The Librarian tells us that while she loves all of these stories, we have yet to visit her favorite genre...

Tales of Fantasy

The first thing that we see is young Arthur pulling the sword from the stone. Merlin makes magic, and our Bookmobile turns in circles as we enter the next scene, mirroring Alice falling through the Rabbit Hole. Alice waves to us as she falls. "Faith, trust, and a little bit of Pixie Dust"- Peter Pan flies next to us, and 'sprinkles' glitter on us (not really), and the Bookmobile begins to feel like it's flying. Ebeneezer Scrooge flies next to us with the Ghost of Christmas Past. Jane, Michael, Mr. Wigg, and Mary Poppins have a tea party on the ceiling. We slowly begin to sink back to the ground and see a group of royals next to a lamp post. We follow the dimly lit pathway into a wooded area, seeing that it slowly turns into a wardrobe. And from the wardrobe we arrive at the end of the ride as the Librarian tells us that we are always welcome to revisit these stories.

We exit the "library" into a store, packed with books.

(I so wish this would happen)

Last edited:

rle4lunch

Seriously though, imagine that you're walking down the UK pavilion, and at the end of the road is an old library, styled like Oxford University's Bodleian library.

You go through the winding queue of library shelves, stacked with books of all ages (but all have English, Scottish, Welsh, and N. Irish authors). You see names like Chaucer, Austen, Shakespeare, Dickens, Conan Doyle, Bronte, Orwell, Travers, and Lewis, their stories you are about to discover. You keep walking, but are the books getting larger or are you getting smaller?

You turn a corner and see the loading platform. The ride vehicle is a semi-open book. You hear The Librarian (voiced by Julie Andrews) tell you that you will be going on a journey through some of the most beloved tales of Britain. You step into your (trackless) vehicle, and off it goes, turning the corner around several large books (or it could be a book that opens for you).

The Librarian introduces "The Knight's Tale" from "Canterbury Tales". We see a brief scene from the tournament, and go through another book.

"Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" To our left the balcony scene from Romeo & Juliet is taking place... on a stage. We see the play's audience to our right. The Bookmobile turns another corner, and from here, there are sections to distinguish different genres of literature.

Tales of Love
The sound of rain patters around us. "In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.'' The proposal/rejection scene from "Pride and Prejudice" occurs as The Librarian mentions how important Jane Austen would be for women in literature. We go through another book and to our left we see Heathcliff haunted by Catherine, and Mr. Rochester being comforted by Jane Eyre to our right. George and Lucy from "A Room with a View" are also represented before we see that...

Tales of Horror are around the corner, The Narrator warns, and we see Dr. Jekyll turn into Mr. Hyde (if Disney can turn a skeleton into Jack Sparrow in Shanghai, they can manage this). Frankenstein's monster is thrown out by Frankenstein (does Universal have the rights to the story or only the film?) and Bram Stoker's Dracula lurks nearby (I know Stoker was Irish, but technically Ireland was part of the UK in his lifetime). We are surrounded by ominous screens and white noise, courtesy of Big Brother (I figured this was probably the best way to include Orwell). We escape through an open book to...

Tales of Adventure
Robert Louis Stevenson is again included with "Treasure Island". We pass a scene of Moby **** and the whale. Scenes from Beowolf and Robin Hood are seen before we see H.G. Well's The Time Machine, which transports us to...

Tales of Mystery

Agatha Christie's "Murder on the Orient Express" is represented, and we see Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson discussing a case at 221B Baker Street (since Cumberbatch and Freeman are both involved with Disney via Marvel, maybe they could even provide the voices). The Librarian tells us that while she loves all of these stories, we have yet to visit her favorite genre...

Tales of Fantasy

The first thing that we see is young Arthur pulling the sword from the stone. Merlin makes magic, and our Bookmobile turns in circles as we enter the next scene, mirroring Alice falling through the Rabbit Hole. Alice waves to us as she falls. "Faith, trust, and a little bit of Pixie Dust"- Peter Pan flies next to us, and 'sprinkles' glitter on us (not really), and the Bookmobile begins to feel like it's flying. Ebeneezer Scrooge flies next to us with the Ghost of Christmas Past. Jane, Michael, Mr. Wigg, and Mary Poppins have a tea party on the ceiling. We slowly begin to sink back to the ground and see a group of royals next to a lamp post. We follow the dimly lit pathway into a wooded area, seeing that it slowly turns into a wardrobe. And from the wardrobe we arrive at the end of the ride as the Librarian tells us that we are always welcome to revisit these stories.

so... do you like books? ;)

sounds like you've got this all fleshed out. I'd say, present your draft to Martin for approval up the chain. You've got to keep it way overpriced and promise to build it no quicker than a 5 year construction contract. and... go.

The_Jobu

Tales of Love

Tales of Adventure
Robert Louis Stevenson is again included with "Treasure Island". We pass a scene of Moby **** and the whale. Scenes from Beowolf and Robin Hood are seen before we see H.G. Well's The Time Machine, which transports us to...

Tales of Mystery

Tales of Fantasy

Don't forget modern authors like J.K. Ro- ohhhh. Well, you'd have to have the great Tolk-hmmm. ..

How about Martin Handford? Always one of my favourites :bookworm:

Princess Leia

so... do you like books? ;)

sounds like you've got this all fleshed out. I'd say, present your draft to Martin for approval up the chain. You've got to keep it way overpriced and promise to build it no quicker than a 5 year construction contract. and... go.
You have no idea ;)
Don't forget modern authors like J.K. Ro- ohhhh. Well, you'd have to have the great Tolk-hmmm. ..

It was killing me not to add Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities, or The Hobbit into it, but a) couldn't find a spot for Twist & Cities and b) there is no way Tolkien's estate is going to let Disney develop Tolkien's properties into a ride or land. Luckily, Disney has (had?) the Narnia rights.

In terms of current authors, Neil Gaiman, perhaps? I don't know Handford, what has he written? If you can't tell, I'm always searching for a good book :happy:

@marni1971 I'm giving this a $1B budget (have to purchase the rights to all of these properties), and we're going to need to demo a good chunk of the Food & Wine Tent. This should roughly cover the same amount of space as the Energy pavilion, and it has to have the tech of the Alcatraz ride. I lost track of the amount of AAs needed for the ride, but it's not exactly a small amount. Nor is it a B, C, or D ticket as was mentioned for the new attraction.

Robbiem

Tales of Love

Tales of Adventure

Tales of Mystery

Tales of Fantasy

I love this idea it's a perfect way to share my country's culture with the world I'd love to this with ride vehicles shaped liked open books

Rodan75

Didn't @Magic Feather or @marni1971 say that UK could leapfrog the possible France attraction, if that is the case...and France is a box with screens and a smooth floor (LPS ride). Wouldn't by some Sherlockian deduction, mean that whatever is happening in UK would be a pretty basic flat ride, walk thru, or movie attraction. Nothing nearly as elaborate as what has been pitched over the last couple of pages.

I wonder how much of France and UK getting attractions, simply has to do with the amount of construction that will need to happen at the IG for the Gondola station/ enhanced security/ increased tapstiles that would facilitate focusing on this side of the park before others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom