Proposal question

Bonesz09

Original Poster
Hello everyone,

As I browse through some of the topics on this forum, I understand this is a bit of a redundant question here. It has been helpful to read other people's threads regarding this situation, but my questions aren't quite answered 100% as none of them really conform to my exact situation. Therefor, I thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and help me out!

Me and my girlfriend have been together for about 4 years now and I'm ready to pop the question. I figure the best place to do this is at Walt Disney World as it's her favorite place in the world. However, this is tricky because I've NEVER set foot in Disney World before so I really have no idea what I'm doing.

My initial idea is to do it during the fireworks show at Epcot, but she's talked to me once about how if I'm going to propose, she would really appreciate it if it wasn't in front of a whole lot of people. A few people would be fine, but too many would make her anxious (what her definition of a few people is, I have no idea. I would also rather not ask and lead her on to my plans). So my question is, is there a good spot to watch the fireworks show that doesn't have that many people around?

I've also been researching some opportunities for a restaurant proposal but I'm really unsure of the quality of the experience that it would offer or how it all even works. I want to make this EXTREMELY special for her. I want this to be something that she remembers fondly for the rest of her life, so taking a shot in the dark with one of these restaurant proposals makes me a little nervous. I wonder if anyone could reccomend them?

I'm also open to other ideas. I don't want it to be some random event where I just get on one knee as we're taking a stroll around the park. I really want to make sure the timing and everything is as perfect as I can possibly make it. She loves disney and she loves fairytale endings. I want to make sure she gets one.

Thank you guys!

CAPTAIN HOOK

So my question is, is there a good spot to watch the fireworks show that doesn't have that many people around?
If you're going to watch Illuminations then THE place to be is around the World Showcase Lagoon. The trouble is, virtually the whole of EPCOT will be there with you. Some spots are busier than others. For example, areas around the UK, Canada, Mexico and Norway Pavilions are usually the busiest as they're nearest the exit for the buses, monorail and parking lot. The UK and France are nearest to the International Gateway for folks to leave towards the resorts along there. Your quietest spot is most likely to be in and around the American Pavilion as you would have the farthest to walk to an exit. If you stand away from the waters edge and nearer the building line it's likely to be quieter still

Seabasealpha1

First off...

Welcome aboard! I've not been here for a super long time myself...but since no one has gotten around to it...welcome!

Second...

As someone who has proposed to a significant other at Disney World (my wife back in 2011 at Magic Kingdom during the "Wishes" finale.), I can tell you that it most likely will be so loud that she won't hear much of what you're saying unless you're either in a quiet space or yelling the proposal.

My wife likes to remind me that she didn't really hear my proposal...she just looked down and saw me on a knee with a ring and she said yes based on her understanding of my body language...lol...

Illuminations is cool...my favorite show out of all of them...if you're going for fairy tale-ish Wishes might be the better bet. But if you want something still exciting but maybe more sober...then Illuminations...and I'd wait for the finale of either show...there's much to be said for building suspense and major musical atmosphere!

Good luck to you! And best wishes! And again, welcome aboard! Be sure to stick around...there's some really awesome folks on here and some great conversation!

DonnaOnTheRocks

Hi!
My fiancé proposed to me at the gazebo on the Boardwalk. It's when you walk from the International gateway at Epcot to get to the Boardwalk area. It was perfect timing because the sun was just setting and no one was around at the time. Very intimate and romantic, but there can be people walking by. We had an ADR at the Italian restaurant at the Boardwalk right after and our server gave us celebratory champagne and strawberries. Was an amazing and memorable night! Hope that helps!

TXDisney

Kind of hard to get privacy at wdw. My wife was kinda the opposite. When I proposed she always talked about that I better have people there to take picture and record it. I proposed right in fron of the castle while family were taking pictures. But yes there were people all around. At a nice restaurant might be good. Not as many people.

jmillig

First, congratulations! This is so exciting and it is so amazing that you are planning this so thoughtfully!

I adore IllumiNations so you must tell us how this all goes! I assisted a guest who was doing the same thing and they said it worked out great! I called and assisted them in renting one of the boats to actually go out onto World Showcase Lagoon DURING IllumiNations. It is a truly STUNNING experience!

The great part about this is since you are on a boat, there will be very few people there with you, so she wont feel overwhelmed in terms of the number of people. Now, as someone else said, keep in mind that it will be VERY loud so she probably wont hear your proposal if you propose during the fireworks, but, what if you proposed right after? The ending song is BEAUTIFUL and would be the perfect mood for a proposal right after you've seen the fireworks.

I'm so excited for you!!!

Second Star to the Right

First of all, I love how special you want to make this for her! So incredibly sweet. Illuminations is a fantastic show, but as everyone has mentioned it can be incredibly busy and loud.

I don't think I have seen anyone mention making a dinner reservation at California Grill and timing it with the fireworks at Magic Kingdom (Wishes). Without knowing budgeting, what time of year you are going, etc. I'm purely making a suggestion potentially worth looking into. California Grill is a signature restaurant in the Contemporary resort which is right outside of the Magic Kingdom. I haven't eaten there (yet) but I have consistently seen it listed as a top restaurant, great atmosphere and terrific food. Better yet, you are able to see the MK fireworks from inside the restaurant or outside at their lounge. During the fireworks, they dim the lights and they pipe the music from the show into the restaurant.

You could have an earlier dinner, go to the lounge and watch them outside, and then propose at the end of the fireworks, or you could pop the question during the dinner and enjoy the fireworks during/after dinner.

The restaurant might still be too many people for your girlfriend's liking, but it might give more privacy as opposed to proposing during Illuminations.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and please be sure to report back on how it went!

sophie_the_pooh

If my husband had proposed at Disney, I would have liked it to be by the wishing well behind (a little on the side I think) Cinderella Castle. You can get on one knee, take out the ring and say something romantic like "I wish to spend the rest of my life with you". It might sound corny to some, but I think it would be very romantic...:inlove:

Rossonl

A thought- look up a video of illuminations on YouTube. That way you will be able to find the best opportunity for your fiancé to hear your proposal as well as build anticipation! Best of luck!

Demeter Tess

Just because a proposal is done in public, doesn't mean it can't be intimate. My husband proposed to me over dinner at 'Ohana. The restaurant is across the lake from the Magic Kingdom and has a great view of the fireworks. He didn't make a big show of it, just quietly slipped the ring on my finger as we were watching the fireworks. It was intimate and almost nobody noticed it happen, aside from the table directly beside us and our server, who gave us a "Congratulations!" as we paid the bill and left. Food for thought!

EJDThree

I think you can make EPCOT work, really well. The key is to find a pavillion thats a little more sheltered. As I type this, China come to mind. Take her in to the pavillion, maybe by one of the ponds, and propose there! That way, fireworks overhead, and it looks like a nice unique wedding location!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom