Proof of Vaccination or Negative COVID Test required for theme parks soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disstevefan1

This seems to have slipped under the radar because it focuses mostly on indoor events, bit look closely, it states that outdoor gatherings of 10,000 or more will require proof of vaccination or negative COVID test as of Sept. 20 in California. I think that would also include theme parks, right? I only bring this up so people know to be prepared if that is indeed the case, as I would hate to see people turned away after spending a lot of money because they didn't know.

Also, this is not to be a debate about if this is good or bad, just asking if I am reading this correctly.

DLR possibly? WDW a hard NO.

Tamandua

It's another reason to leave California.
So many people are leaving that the FTB is devoting a lot of time a resources trying to extract tax revenue from people who don't even live here anymore. It's generally the net taxpayers who are leaving and the net tax collectors who are staying. California has already become a state that can't survive without constant federal assistance. If the politics at the federal level swing back the other way and they deny California future bailouts, it's going to get really ugly here.

cmwade77

Original Poster
900 people died of COVID-19 yesterday…in Florida. The time for a mandate was months ago but we have our freedums.
It is the unvaccinated for the most part and they made their choice, now it's time for them to live with the consequences. I know that sounds harsh, but why should I bend over backwards with masking, etc. to try to protect people that won't even protect themselves?

Yes, they should have the right to choose, but they need to know that in making that choice that they may get sick and die or have life long health problems.

Tamandua

It is the unvaccinated for the most part and they made their choice, now it's time for them to live with the consequences. I know that sounds harsh, but why should I bend over backwards with masking, etc. to try to protect people that won't even protect themselves?

Yes, they should have the right to choose, but they need to know that in making that choice that they may get sick and die or have life long health problems.
Live with the consequences.... Like we're all idiots. What about the MILLIONS of people who have immunity from natural infection and don't want to risk side effects or long term damage from an unnecessary vaccine? No consideration is given for natural immunity. I had covid. Why would I have to get vaccinated?

"Because the immunity doesn't last."

It clearly doesn't last with vaccines either, as booster shots are being required and efficacy rates are plummeting.

None of this is about a virus or vaccines. This is about unending power grabs and being able to label any opposition as wanting people to die.

Isn't it interesting that the California legislature, after 18 months of letting the governor do everything through emergency powers, is suddenly teeing up a statewide vaccine mandate just as the governor is at risk of being voted out over those policies? Even though the people of California are clearly unhappy about all of it, they're trying to rush a legislative bill that Newsom can sign on his way out that a new governor cannot undo through EO. It's a huge middle finger to the voters of California.

truecoat

So many people are leaving that the FTB is devoting a lot of time a resources trying to extract tax revenue from people who don't even live here anymore. It's generally the net taxpayers who are leaving and the net tax collectors who are staying. California has already become a state that can't survive without constant federal assistance. If the politics at the federal level swing back the other way and they deny California future bailouts, it's going to get really ugly here.

Constant federal assistance? Do you not realize where most of the tax money in this country comes from?

Taxes.jpg

And for those who think taxes are less in Texas, yes they are if you make a lot of money. If you don't make a lot of money, you're going to pay more in Texas.

Cali taxes.png

Texas taxes.png

If you're not in the top 20% of earners, you're paying more in taxes in Texas and you live in Texas.

denyuntilcaught

Not to derail the conversation, but two of your assertions - "So many people are leaving" and "California is a state that can't survive without constant federal assistance" are categorically untrue, much to my own chagrin around your first point.

SplashGhost

I'm someone that might be leaving California, not because of any COVID restrictions, but for career reasons, as I find that many tech companies outside California don't have the ridiculous hiring practices and interview processes that California seems to have, and I score way more interviews out of state than I do in state. Plus, if I move, I also get the benefits of drastically lower housing costs and not having to deal with constant wildfires and the worst pollution in the country.

There are things I like that happen to be in California, but I definitely don't like the state itself.

TP2000

Sorry...I think this is kinda bogus to play this inclusion card here. Blacks and Latinos have the same opportunity to get vaccinated as anyone else and are making the decision not to for their whatever reason (trust, cultural, etc.). Race should not play into this discussion with regards to who will or won't be excluded from access to certain things. It all comes down to making a choice and the associated consequences, regardless of skin color.
It absolutely is bogus.

I fully understand that it's uncomfortable data for some to discuss, but I certainly don't think that makes the data or the topic bogus.

I don't find the subject of race (and more broadly class) uncomfortable to discuss politely and accurately, but I do find it troubling and very interesting in this instance of who is vaccinated and who is not in California.

The concept of "Equity" has been placed at the top of the Covid issue in California for 18 months.

Race is tracked very prominently by the California Department of Public Health and put at the top of their Covid Dashboards for a reason. It's important to them, and Governor Newsom and almost every political leader in California has said so repeatedly for the past 18 months. And since we aren't talking a few minor percentage points difference, but 25% to 35% difference between the races, race is definitely going to be a factor on who gets in to restaurants and Disneyland and who does not.

That said, I do agree that Blacks and Latinos have the exact same opportunity to get a free Covid shot as Whites and Asians.

But if California implements vaccine requirements to access public accomodations and private businesses next month, race is definitely going to be the biggest factor on who is allowed in to Disneyland (or your local Denny's) and who isn't.

Orange County 8/25/21 - Population 3.2 Million People
Whites = 72% Fully Vaccinated
(39% of OC Population is White)
Asians = 64% Fully Vaccinated (22% of OC Population is Asian)
Blacks = 53% Fully Vaccinated (2% of OC Population is Black)
Latinos = 38% Fully Vaccinated (35% of OC Population is Latino)

Last edited:

TP2000

The data has nothing to do with inclusion, but the policies do.

Fact is, once vaccines are required for entry to places, Latino and black communities will be disproportionately affected by a fair margin.

That was exactly my point. Thank you for getting it! 😁

Yes and historically speaking Latinos and Blacks have good cause to distrust the government and that is carrying over into vaccination rates. And we are unlikely to see that change, these policies will make them even less trusting and honestly will likely result in even fewer of those that are unvaccinated in these groups to get vaccinated than if this point wasn't instituted.

I'm not so sure. I think if California really does try to implement mandatory vaccine requirements to enter restaurants/bars/public events/Disneyland next month it would encourage the unvaccinated to get vaccinated.

Now, those first few weeks, perhaps the first month or two, are going to be very rough on the unvaccinated as they are shut out of being able to access public accomodations and private businesses in California.

But there would be a rush to get vaccinated, and after a few months of pain there would be a great deal of newly vaccinated people who would once again be allowed to shop and dine out and go to Disneyland.

It's just those first 60 days from September to November where it will be painful and ugly for a lot of people in California.

TP2000

The carrot has been around for months now. It's time for the stick.

I've heard that argument in the media for a week or two now.

But legally, what can you do to require people to get vaccinated? Sacramento seems to be making an attempt to require vaccination to access private businesses and public accomodations in the state with this bill we are discussing in this thread. I will be surprised if they really do try and get this through before they go home for the year on September 10th, four days before the Recall election ends.

But what can the Federal government do to anyone who doesn't work in a Federal Government job that it hasn't already? The states have the real authority on their local populations on this, and Wyoming and Arkansas are going to act very differently than New York and California.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is not going to be limited to California, whole industries across the country are going to be shutting out the unvaccinated.

70% (soon 80%) of all health insurance companies across this nation are no longer waiving out-of-pocket costs for unvaccinated medical treatments.

We can't get 70-80% of health insurance companies to agree on anything in this country, and yet here we are.

The cost of being unvaccinated could end up costing some hundred of thousands in COVID related medical costs, all for FREEDUMB!

This is the one time I'll agree with the insurance industry.

Californian Elitist

I fully understand that it's uncomfortable data for some to discuss, but I certainly don't think that makes the data or the topic bogus.

I don't find the subject of race (and more broadly class) uncomfortable to discuss politely and accurately, but I do find it troubling and very interesting in this instance of who is vaccinated and who is not in California.

The concept of "Equity" has been placed at the top of the Covid issue in California for 18 months.

Race is tracked very prominently by the California Department of Public Health and put at the top of their Covid Dashboards for a reason. It's important to them, and Governor Newsom and almost every political leader in California has said so repeatedly for the past 18 months. And since we aren't talking a few minor percentage points difference, but 25% to 35% difference between the races, race is definitely going to be a factor on who gets in to restaurants and Disneyland and who does not.

That said, I do agree that Blacks and Latinos have the exact same opportunity to get a free Covid shot as Whites and Asians.

But if California implements vaccine requirements to access public accomodations and private businesses next month, race is definitely going to be the biggest factor on who is allowed in to Disneyland (or your local Denny's) and who isn't.

Orange County 8/25/21 - Population 3.2 Million People
Whites = 72% Fully Vaccinated
(39% of OC Population is White)
Asians = 64% Fully Vaccinated (22% of OC Population is Asian)
Blacks = 53% Fully Vaccinated (2% of OC Population is Black)
Latinos = 38% Fully Vaccinated (35% of OC Population is Latino)
The topic of unvaccinated Latinos and African Americans isn’t bogus. What’s bogus is using that to talk about the potential “unfairness” of establishing vaccine mandates, alluding to the race factors here/civil rights pertaining to race. Bad time to pull the “race card.”

This isn’t uncomfortable data to discuss.

TP2000

The topic of unvaccinated Latinos and African Americans isn’t bogus. What’s bogus is using that to talk about the potential “unfairness” of establishing vaccine mandates, alluding to the race factors here/civil rights pertaining to race. Bad time to pull the “race card.”

This isn’t uncomfortable data to discuss.

And yet the fact remains, if California makes it mandatory to show vaccination to get into Disneyland next week, only 38% of Latinos in Orange County will qualify for that. 62% of Latinos will no longer be allowed to enter Disneyland, or even Denny's.

I agree, that's going to dramatically increase the levels of vaccination among the unvaccinated. But it's going to be ugly for the first couple months.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

And yet the fact remains, if California makes it mandatory to show vaccination to get into Disneyland next week, only 38% of Latinos in Orange County will qualify for that. 62% of Latinos will no longer be allowed to enter Disneyland, or even Denny's.
And? So will the percentages of other races. Why are we only talking about Latinos and African Americans?

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I agree, that's going to dramatically increase the levels of vaccination among the unvaccinated. But it's going to be ugly for the first couple months.
The latest draft version of the legislation I’ve seen has an implementation date of 11/1 which is intended to provide what they consider “sufficient lead time” for the Governor’s office to draft the the various business regulations by industry and push out guidance to the various localities.

This also would give more time for the vaccine hesitant to reconsider their position. This is assuming the bill authors stick with their most aggressive timeframe of completing this bill by close of legislative session on 9/10.

While the concept has near universal support among those of import in Sacramento there are some key disagreements among the business community and labor unions on how to implement this comprehensive plan. Add to that the Governor’s office is lukewarm to embarking pushing this aggressively right now in the midst of the current recall.

Last edited:

denyuntilcaught

So, I totally see your point and I understand it. But I can't tell if it's a slippery slope argument or something entirely, but the logic is off because it implies that discrimination is to blame, and simply not the fact that regardless of the issue (historical trust in government, etc.) minority groups have the EXACT same access to the vaccine. There is no institutional, environmental, or governmental barrier. It comes down to choice, regardless of race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom