Proof of Vaccination or Negative COVID Test required for theme parks soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The framework from 2021 was released in March, a couple months after mass vaccinations began, and the framework had vaccination rates built into it. There were stricter rules on opening theme parks for counties with low vaccination rates, and looser rules for opening theme parks in counties with higher vaccination rates.

And the framework also weighted vaccination rates by race; vaccination rates for white people were weighted less than vaccination rates for non-whites. If a county could get more non-whites vaccinated, they got extra credit and got looser standards for reopening their theme parks. That race-based system was part of the euphemistically named "Healthy Places Index", as noted on the framework.

It's what the "Post 2 million administered" and "Post 4 million administered" columns are for, and why the higher vaccination rates got your county less strict standards on cases per 100,000.

View attachment 613456
I mentioned a year ago, which would have been January 2021 (not March 2021) which is when mass vaccinations started.

But going with your March timeline, yes it had vaccination rates as part of that version of the "Framework". But we've gone way beyond those metrics, as 4 Million would have been only slightly about 10% vaccinated. We're now at 71.3% fully vaccinated of eligible (age 5 and older) people in California.

The "Framework" isn't needed now as we're more vaccinated as a state then back in March 2021. Having more people vaccinated means less impact on the healthcare system. As it means less people having severe symptoms causing them to be hospitalized and put into the ICU and potentially dying.

So while case rates having been going up, less of those infected are being hospitalized due to them being vaccinated. The unvaccinated however are getting hospitalized which is not surprising.

TP2000

I mentioned a year ago, which would have been January 2021 (not March 2021) which is when mass vaccinations started.

But going with your March timeline, yes it had vaccination rates as part of that version of the "Framework". But we've gone way beyond those metrics, as 4 Million would have been only slightly about 10% vaccinated. We're now at 71.3% fully vaccinated of eligible (age 5 and older) people in California.

It's not "my" timeline. It was Sacramento's timeline.

The framework I posted here was released by Sacramento on March 4th, 2021 and was set up to advance the state counties throughout 2021 as part of the "Blueprint For A Safer Economy".

As a reference, here is the current hospitalization rates for OC and LA, with the dates that their major theme parks were closed by order of Governor Newsom using the framework posted above.

OC.png

LA.png

I do find it interesting that no one in Sacramento is talking about closing theme parks, or even reinstating the above framework that would limit park capacity and park operations.

They are also not talking about cancelling the Super Bowl even though over 90,000 tickets have been sold and SoFi stadium is using every seat available. There's a big In-N-Out car show planned for the OC Fairgrounds this weekend, with county fairgrounds under authority of the Calfornia Fairs and Expositions Division in Sacramento, etc., etc., etc.

My point here is, I wonder how high the various scary graphs! have to go before Sacramento steps in again?

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It was your timeline as I said "vaccination rate of the state now versus a year ago". A year ago is January 2021, not March 2021. My post wasn't even directed at you or the "Framework" image you originally posted. The post was just a general comment on why the "Framework" in any form wouldn't be coming back.

The framework I posted here was released by Sacramento on March 4th, 2021 and was set up to advance the state counties throughout 2021 as part of the "Blueprint For A Safer Economy".
The March 2021 update to the "Framework" was setup to advance California through reopening process to fully opened based on the vaccination progress. It was ALWAYS meant to be temporary during the initial phase of the vaccinations to allow for fully reopening California.

As a reference, here is the current hospitalization rates for OC and LA, with the dates that their major theme parks were closed by order of Governor Newsom using the framework posted above.

View attachment 613459

View attachment 613460

I do find it interesting that no one in Sacramento is talking about closing theme parks, or even reinstating the above framework that would limit park capacity and park operations.

They are also not talking about cancelling the Super Bowl even though over 90,000 tickets have been sold and SoFi stadium is using every seat available. There's a big In-N-Out car show planned for the OC Fairgrounds this weekend, with county fairgrounds under authority of the Calfornia Fairs and Expositions Division in Sacramento, etc., etc., etc.

My point here is, I wonder how high the various scary graphs! have to go before Sacramento steps in again?
At this point the likelihood of the "Framework" coming back is pretty much zero. That was the whole point of my post. So no "Sacramento" is not going to step in with a new "Framework", as they have provided guidance on mass events and such, and update it regularly (updated as of Dec 31st). And are leaving it to the counties to implement as they have since June 15th 2021 when the "Framework" went away.

denyuntilcaught

I love your POV, but I think we should put just as much critical thinking into explaining the "why" as we do explaining the "what":

We know a few things based on overall behavior of politicians and the political arena, and they're not specific to California:
  • The reintroduction of a framework would lessen public motivation to get the vaccine or booster - basically, "why should I get vaccinated if we're going to be in a reductive state anyways?"
  • With mid-term elections coming up, no politician wants to be that person to tick off their constituents by proposing further restrictions or lockdowns.
  • In all fairness, we've learned that scientific best practices during a pandemic aren't the most practical or understanding of how society behaves. That doesn't mean the science behind it is not real, nor that containing a virus is not a moving target, it just means much of the hypocrisy and inconsistency we've seen is due to science and capitalism not working hand in hand.
Also: we're in a different state than we were Q4 2020. Hospitalizations aren't rising as intensely as it did a year ago - though they're at a record high, but so are cases. Nevertheless, less people are dying. That was the goal. Yes, case counts are high, but many outlets are realizing that reporting case counts is telling a false story, since the correlation isn't as intrinsic as it was prior to the vaccines.

Just my two cents.

TP2000

I love your POV, but I think we should put just as much critical thinking into explaining the "why" as we do explaining the "what":

We know a few things based on overall behavior of politicians and the political arena, and they're not specific to California:
  • The reintroduction of a framework would lessen public motivation to get the vaccine or booster - basically, "why should I get vaccinated if we're going to be in a reductive state anyways?"
  • With mid-term elections coming up, no politician wants to be that person to tick off their constituents by proposing further restrictions or lockdowns.
  • In all fairness, we've learned that scientific best practices during a pandemic aren't the most practical or understanding of how society behaves. That doesn't mean the science behind it is not real, nor that containing a virus is not a moving target, it just means much of the hypocrisy and inconsistency we've seen is due to science and capitalism not working hand in hand.
Also: we're in a different state than we were Q4 2020. Hospitalizations aren't rising as intensely as it did a year ago - though they're at a record high, but so are cases. Nevertheless, less people are dying. That was the goal. Yes, case counts are high, but many outlets are realizing that reporting case counts is telling a false story, since the correlation isn't as intrinsic as it was prior to the vaccines.

Just my two cents.

Agree with most of that! :)

Apparently, "The Science!" was not actually settled. It's not even begun to settle. Funny how the "experts" can change their tune so quickly, or just ignore what they said six months ago. The CEO of Pfizer just testified that the Pfizer vaccine is not very effective against preventing the Omicron variant, which explains the skyrocketing cases.

And Los Angeles County has dramatically higher cases and hospitalizations than Orange County, even though LA mandates all the trendy health theater and thinks of themselves as Official Good People unlike the Neanderthals living down in OC. Um... anyone wanna try and explain that inconvenient truth? 🤔

So here we are. Cases skyrocketing. Hospitals filling up. And... Disneyland still open with no capacity restrictions! Three weeks until the Super Bowl and 90,000+ people pack into SoFi Stadium! Lakers and Kings games packing 'em in! Sold out rock concert at Staples Center this weekend! A line down the block at the Whiskey A-Go-Go.

All with radio silence from Governor Newsom and Sacramento. 😴

Today's Case Rate for Los Angeles County (population 10.1 Million people)...

LA cases (14).png

Last edited:

CM.X777

You all can argue, but here is the reality on the ground. So many Cast are having to call out because of Covid, restaurants are closing early or cancelling reservations, and attractions are being forced to shut down due to staffing. Those cast that have dodged Covid, so far, are at the breaking point. Attractions are running on skeleton crews.

And does Disney give a damn? Nope, NOTHING is being done operationally to increase CM safety.

SuddenStorm

You all can argue, but here is the reality on the ground. So many Cast are having to call out because of Covid, restaurants are closing early or cancelling reservations, and attractions are being for to shut down due to staffing. Those cast that have dodged Covid so far, are at the breaking point. Attractions are running on skeleton crews.

And does Disney give a damn? Nope, NOTHING is being done operationally to increase CM safety.

What scientifically backed procedures could Disney do to increase CM safety, that they aren't already?

el_super

Bare minimum, go back to social distancing/reduce ride capacity, and require mask to be worn at all times on Disney property. IF they actually really cared and had balls, require a negative Covid test to enter the park.

Don't forget bringing back the plexiglass and enforcing distancing in the break rooms again. Of course that would mean having fewer CMs on property which ... well that sort of happened anyway didn't it.

Communicora

Premium Member
Don't forget bringing back the plexiglass and enforcing distancing in the break rooms again. Of course that would mean having fewer CMs on property which ... well that sort of happened anyway didn't it.
Plexiglass in the queues or on ride vehicles doesn't do anything and may actually make the situation worse, airflow-wise. There are limited applications where it is effective.

This is an airborne virus. That is why it's safer to be outdoors than in, and things like proper ventilation and air filtering are helpful.

el_super

Plexiglass in the queues or on ride vehicles doesn't do anything and may actually make the situation worse, airflow-wise. There are limited applications where it is effective.

This is an airborne virus. That is why it's safer to be outdoors than in, and things like proper ventilation and air filtering are helpful.

Oh yeah sorry... I was specifically referring to the plexiglass dividers they had in the breakrooms to keep CMs physically isolated. They removed those back in June and now the CMs are getting sick in record numbers.

I'd imagine there are probably some areas where plexiglass would help in onstage areas though. Especially where CMs have to interface with guests.

denyuntilcaught

Yes I always thought the plexiglas in most places like parks and stores was really performative and ineffective.

el_super

Well people aren't dying.... except the vaccinated. So that's a good thing. But of course businesses are still suffering from the call outs.

It's so funny that even today people would question why we shut down last year when, even with a vaccine and advanced treatment, it's still wrecking the economy. Imagine how much worse things would be had so many CMs called out... never to return.

Last edited by a moderator:

Communicora

Premium Member
Oh yeah sorry... I was specifically referring to the plexiglass dividers they had in the breakrooms to keep CMs physically isolated. They removed those back in June and now the CMs are getting sick in record numbers.

I'd imagine there are probably some areas where plexiglass would help in onstage areas though. Especially where CMs have to interface with guests.
They’d be better off setting up outdoor break areas and adding hepa air purifiers to the existing break rooms

TP2000

They’d be better off setting up outdoor break areas and adding hepa air purifiers to the existing break rooms

Stop being so sensible. ;)

It's like outlawing socially distanced dining rooms and patios and destroying their business models and profit margins, but allowing the restaurants to keep selling food to-go via Uber Eats. So the dining rooms and patios are empty, but you keep the kitchens and cramped backrooms packed full of those silly laborers, so all the Official Good People get to Instagram and virtue signal how they got dinner to-go to help stop the spread! :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, back in the cramped kitchens... More Uber Eats orders! Faster! Faster!

cmslqxf3wpgifoakb2qq.jpg

Disstevefan1

Stop being so sensible. ;)

It's like outlawing socially distanced dining rooms and patios and destroying their business models and profit margins, but allowing the restaurants to keep selling food to-go via Uber Eats. So the dining rooms and patios are empty, but you keep the kitchens and cramped backrooms packed full of those silly laborers, so all the Official Good People get to Instagram and virtue signal how they got dinner to-go to help stop the spread! :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, back in the cramped kitchens... More Uber Eats orders! Faster! Faster!

cmslqxf3wpgifoakb2qq.jpg
"outdoor" dining in NYC = Indoor, cramped, no ventilation.
1642118635225.png

Dear Prudence

Every time I see anything about people on social media being "tired of wearing masks," the post right after it is usually a family member or a friend who has been pulling an 18-19.5 hour hospital shift and has bruises on their face from wearing all of their gear and/ or they're in tears.

Man, just get all this stuff taken care of so I can just go to Disneyland in May, for God's sake. o_O :arghh: (among other things, obviously).

TP2000

"outdoor" dining in NYC = Indoor, cramped, no ventilation.
View attachment 613804

Oh, I can top that.

I went up to Oregon a year ago and we went into downtown Portland for dinner a couple evenings. The indoor dining rooms in Portland were off limits, so all the restaurants had to create bubble tents out on the sidewalks and streets where somehow it was perfectly acceptable to have dinner in. It was typical Portland weather; temps around 50 with constant drizzle.

Portland's Covid dining bubbles had no HVAC systems or ventilation, but they were lined with dingy wet AstroTurf, had propane patio heaters, and were damp and airless. Seemingly a perfect bubble for a virus to spread within, but it was all perfectly acceptable! 🤣

e95be13a-5490-4f81-b062-c6f9e69aa403-medium16x9_PortlandRestaurant1.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom