Projects in the pipeline

Pixiedustmaker

I was talking about putting SW land into DHS -- seems more logical than a boutique park. It also seems like one of the absolute safest investments TDO could make with a practically guaranteed ROI. Heck, Death Star DVC anyone?

Star Wars has a multi-generational fan base. Tatooine, for example, is featured in both trilogies, and its special to have such a place that is recognized by everybody in the family. Now with the 3rd trilogy, they're going to roll in today's kids into the fan base.

I can't see how a Star Wars based theme park/land could fail if given a big budget like Carsland, and it would be an evergreen property for a very long time.

I kinda agree with the rumor that DHS doesn't have enough land. Plus thematically, Star Tours look so much better in Tomorrowland, versus in DHS with the cut-off trees and fake "behind the scenes" Hollywood junk. I'd kinda want to see a land/park which strives for Star Wars style realism, which seems to be what WDI is looking at given that it will be on the scale of a land or a park.

orky8

Star Wars has a multi-generational fan base. Tatooine, for example, is featured in both trilogies, and its special to have such a place that is recognized by everybody in the family. Now with the 3rd trilogy, they're going to roll in today's kids into the fan base.

I can't see how a Star Wars based theme park/land could fail if given a big budget like Carsland, and it would be an evergreen property for a very long time.

I kinda agree with the rumor that DHS doesn't have enough land. Plus thematically, Star Tours look so much better in Tomorrowland, versus in DHS with the cut-off trees and fake "behind the scenes" Hollywood junk. I'd kinda want to see a land/park which strives for Star Wars style realism, which seems to be what WDI is looking at given that it will be on the scale of a land or a park.

I agree, but think a whole park is a bit overblown -- a large land seems suiting.

Pixiedustmaker

But it doesn't need to be an either/or situation. I fully support the idea of expanding the Star Wars presence, but it doesn't fit in AK. I like the Avatar idea and it's a very good fit for AK, so put it there and put Star Wars in DHS or elsewhere.

I was just referring to the decision making process. WDW and Disneyland are great ways to showcase products. Just look at Starbucks in DLR, Dole Whip, and Coke's long standing sponsorship which involves giving free Coke syrup to the parks.

Certainly, Disney showcasing upcoming movies in the parks is great advertising. They did it with the Pirates films, and no doubt they'll do it with Star Wars. Franchises, such as Nemo, have gotten their own attractions.

From a financial standpoint, it doesn't make as much sense to push Avatar over Star Wars.

Shortly before Star Wars was announced, somebody leaked some plans for Avatarland which included Soarin' Over Avatar. Then weeks later . . . Disney buys a galaxy full of characters and stories more popular and complex than Avatar ever wil be.

Avatar was supposed to be the 'next Star Wars', like a lot of films have tried to be, and now Avatar may well be competing box office wise, and certainly DVD wise, with the new Star Wars films.

Avatar was a good film, but I think it relied on special effects, and not so much the characters. Can't even remember the lead guy's name, or anybody else's name. Most people can name half a dozen characters from Star Wars, even if they aren't hardcore fans.

I think there are so many better Disney properties which could be used in AK, at least ones I'd rather see than Avatar. Such as:

1. A Brave ride with animatronic bears, (maybe some live ones too?)
2. A Dinosaurland based on Pixar's upcoming Dinosaur film. Dinosaurs are evergreen, Avatar not so much.
3. Dragon land. They've got a live action Malificent film, I'd be OK with a dragon land.

I think that parents groups won't like it that Avatar featured a smoking Sigourney Weaver, and this could potentially lead to some problems for Avatarland's promotion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It takes time for information to filter around the corporation. At any rate, from what I hear, WDI is super excited with the opportunities that the Star Wars acquisition has opened up. Before, Lucas had say over various attraction and show ideas, now its a franchise that the company will be able to use for the parks as they see fit.
They are. Aside from minor diversions, nothing is planned for Orlando so far as I know. Elsewhere maybe.

SirLink

It takes time for information to filter around the corporation. At any rate, from what I hear, WDI is super excited with the opportunities that the Star Wars acquisition has opened up. Before, Lucas had say over various attraction and show ideas, now its a franchise that the company will be able to use for the parks as they see fit.

Hong Kong and Shanghai for lands, Paris and Tokyo for upgrades to the existing ride ... I don't even need the force to tell you that ...

I think there are so many better Disney properties which could be used in AK, at least ones I'd rather see than Avatar. Such as:

2. A Dinosaurland based on Pixar's upcoming Dinosaur film. Dinosaurs are evergreen, Avatar not so much.
3. Dragon land. They've got a live action Malificent film, I'd be OK with a dragon land.

I think that parents groups won't like it that Avatar featured a smoking Sigourney Weaver, and this could potentially lead to some problems for Avatarland's promotion.

Yes there are! The first two you mention are terrible and the third one, has a terrible angle.

The ONE thing Avatar had going for it was it was focused on flora and fauna from an alien planet, IF Parents had a problem with someone smoking a cig in a film - they would of stopped you smoking in the parks. But Pandora is in a comatose state...

Pixiedustmaker

I agree, but think a whole park is a bit overblown -- a large land seems suiting.

A half-day park, which is what the rumor is, might only be as big as Frontierland in Disneyland. Carsland looks big, but it isn't as big as Tomorrowland or Frontierland in Disneyland. Whether it is called a land, or a full park, would probably be semantics and just where it would be built.

I'm guessing for either a full-blown land, or half-day park, it would be:

1. Two Star Wars E-Ticket Attractions.
2. 2-3 D Tickets
3. Two restaurants
4. Jedi Acadmey Show, and possibly another.

If we're talking lines for the two E-Tickets of one hour on average in the first three years, plus half-an-hour for the smaller rides, plus an hour for meals and snacks, we're looking at 4.5 hours, right around the 4-5 hour time to see the Star Wars Boutique park.

Calling it a "boutique park" is just a way to build it small and relatively cheap ($8-900 million), and to start making money off it right away while nibbling away at plans for expansion. If they added Carsland, and parades and maybe a special Star Wars world of Color styled show, then you've got a solid 8 hours of fun.

the.dreamfinder

Hong Kong and Shanghai for lands, Paris and Tokyo for upgrades to the existing ride ... I don't even need the force to tell you that ...
I would be so happy if a SW Land replaced TSL for Shanghai. No offense to Pixar, but those lands are incredibly garish wastes of valuable real estate. There's so much that you can do with the Toy Story films and all we get are a couple prettified carnie rides?

wdwfan4ver

Star Wars still could have a land at DHS.

You are forgetting that Sounds Dangerous is an empty building for most of the year expect for the holidays when Comedy Warehouse is using that space for 1 or 2 weeks in a year. I hope it isn't the case that you have no problem with a building being empty except for a couple weeks of the years.

The building next Sounds Dangerous, American Idol Experience is still running, but how long is a question. It might be for another 1 to 3 years, but it could be it. American Idol is really on the downside of its popularity. The truth is I don't think any theme park insider for WDW can give a good estimation on how much time American Idol Experience. Once American Idol has its final season, American Idol Experience has to change its name or the building closes.

The American Idol Experience Building and Sounds Dangerous buildings are close enough create a Star Wars land.

twebber55

I was just referring to the decision making process. WDW and Disneyland are great ways to showcase products. Just look at Starbucks in DLR, Dole Whip, and Coke's long standing sponsorship which involves giving free Coke syrup to the parks.

Certainly, Disney showcasing upcoming movies in the parks is great advertising. They did it with the Pirates films, and no doubt they'll do it with Star Wars. Franchises, such as Nemo, have gotten their own attractions.

From a financial standpoint, it doesn't make as much sense to push Avatar over Star Wars.

Shortly before Star Wars was announced, somebody leaked some plans for Avatarland which included Soarin' Over Avatar. Then weeks later . . . Disney buys a galaxy full of characters and stories more popular and complex than Avatar ever wil be.

Avatar was supposed to be the 'next Star Wars', like a lot of films have tried to be, and now Avatar may well be competing box office wise, and certainly DVD wise, with the new Star Wars films.

Avatar was a good film, but I think it relied on special effects, and not so much the characters. Can't even remember the lead guy's name, or anybody else's name. Most people can name half a dozen characters from Star Wars, even if they aren't hardcore fans.

I agree the prequels made a comibined 2.5 billion so im all for star wars just like im for avatar

ebof1023

I really hope(pray actually) that there will be a massive Star Wars presence in the near future...with that's being said I also really hope that the Pixar plans also take place

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A half-day park, which is what the rumor is, might only be as big as Frontierland in Disneyland. Carsland looks big, but it isn't as big as Tomorrowland or Frontierland in Disneyland. Whether it is called a land, or a full park, would probably be semantics and just where it would be built.

I'm guessing for either a full-blown land, or half-day park, it would be:

1. Two Star Wars E-Ticket Attractions.
2. 2-3 D Tickets
3. Two restaurants
4. Jedi Acadmey Show, and possibly another.

If we're talking lines for the two E-Tickets of one hour on average in the first three years, plus half-an-hour for the smaller rides, plus an hour for meals and snacks, we're looking at 4.5 hours, right around the 4-5 hour time to see the Star Wars Boutique park.

Calling it a "boutique park" is just a way to build it small and relatively cheap ($8-900 million), and to start making money off it right away while nibbling away at plans for expansion. If they added Carsland, and parades and maybe a special Star Wars world of Color styled show, then you've got a solid 8 hours of fun.

I think another key to a "boutique park" is that is be a separate ticket, as the "rumored" Star Wars park has been described, and not part of the normal ticketing for the other four parks.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I think another key to a "boutique park" is that is be a separate ticket, as the "rumored" Star Wars park has been described, and not part of the normal ticketing for the other four parks.

Which is silly... they'd turn a lot of guest off, seeing ads for the Star Wars boutique park (which is the dumbest freaking terminology EVER... boutique park, got to be kidding me!) spend 1000s of dollars for their first trip to WDW, get their park hoppers so they can consume EVERYTHING only to find they have to pay extra for a small park.... no. The Patti Meltons of the world will have a huge letter writing campaign.

Put an expanded SW area, in DHS, in due time. Some of these fanboi pipe-dreams are just getting silly.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Which is silly... they'd turn a lot of guest off, seeing ads for the Star Wars boutique park (which is the dumbest freaking terminology EVER... boutique park, got to be kidding me!) spend 1000s of dollars for their first trip to WDW, get their park hoppers so they can consume EVERYTHING only to find they have to pay extra for a small park.... no. The Patti Meltons of the world will have a huge letter writing campaign.

Put an expanded SW area, in DHS, in due time. Some of these fanboi pipe-dreams are just getting silly.

I agree, SW works best in DHS. I was just saying that given Disney's ticket structure a boutique fifth gate would work best if it could be something that they could up charge for, like the Richard Petty driving experience.

If they did do an up-charge Star Wars park I probably wouldn't be happy about it, but I would still pay. :)

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I agree, SW works best in DHS. I was just saying that given Disney's ticket structure a boutique fifth gate would work best if it could be something that they could up charge for, like the Richard Petty driving experience.

If they did do an up-charge Star Wars park I probably wouldn't be happy about it, but I would still pay. :)

I know, I was quoting you but wasn't really directed at you...those offenders know who they are and where my ire is applied haha

I wouldn't pay. Already paying to stay on property and for park hoppers. I don't care what's in that park.

|Q|

All info I have puts the future Star Wars attractions in France and Asia, exclusively. At least for now.

France? FRANCE??? So, that rumor about a conversion to Mini-Star-wars-land of the area behind Space Mountain is developing? =)

Q

Lee

Adventurer
France? FRANCE??? So, that rumor about a conversion to Mini-Star-wars-land of the area behind Space Mountain is developing? =)

Q
All I know for fairly certain is the conversion to ST2.
I have no information that indicates the mini-land is coming.

Jimmy Thick

Um, the Florida parks are holding their own attendance wise without bringing in anything new. Why are they forced to build anything when people will come no matter what?

Jimmy Thick- Bring on that 5th gate!!!

ToTBellHop

Um, the Florida parks are holding their own attendance wise without bringing in anything new. Why are they forced to build anything when people will come no matter what?

Jimmy Thick- Bring on that 5th gate!!!
The 2012 numbers are said to be less than encouraging and it's clearly not the economy as Disneyland's and Uni's numbers remain up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom