Projects in the pipeline

MattM

The collective voice of discussion groups from all over the Internet (with Roy Disney's help) helped persuade Eisner not to seek another term, effectively stepping down.

Really though, it was the collective voices of people who held hundreds of millions of shares of $DIS stock than people from the internet, although they did play a small role.

phi2134

I'm sure you are not alone in your sentiments here. Now imagine you have a Disney blog or website where you make your living providing news, updates, views, merchandise, etc., and you began seeing the patrons/customers lose interest due to lack of commitment or new attractions (for adults as you noted). How would you choose to cover the Fastpass+ announcement? Disney is forcing a lot of websites and bloggers hands on this one it seems to me. I appreciate this site because the admins are unfailingly neutral in allowing views in the forums. I hope they deliver on some of the projects they've announced other than FL.

Totally agreed, I just am more disappointed at the lack of real news from WDW

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'd have to say you're wrong on this one, I've heard from folks who . . . are certainly in a position to know, that Disney will want to make $$$ off of Star Wars (no surprise) and that they are actively looking at new experiences on the size of a land.

Not a phony Hollywood make-believe land either, so I'm not so sure it would go into DHS at all.

Disney doesn't need a theme park to make money from Star Wars. The legions of drooling fans eagerly anticipating every move for the next set of films will undoubtedly take care of that investment.....

Pixiedustmaker

Disney doesn't need a theme park to make money from Star Wars. The legions of drooling fans eagerly anticipating every move for the next set of films will undoubtedly take care of that investment.....

What would prevent Disney from making more $$ off of a Star Wars land, not to mention having a big draw for WDW?

If they build the Star Wars land, or 1/2 park, by around the time frame of the new movies (2015, 2017, 2019 and possibly on and on), then they could host special premieres at this park. Plus, they could put it into the actors' contracts that they have to make a set number of appearances at Star Wars land over the next ten or fifteen years.

Those legions of drooling fans you referenced would probably be more than happy to migrate down to Orlando every couple years for a Star Wars convention on the property.

I doubt if anyone would argue against the fact that WDW has ride capacity issues, especially during peak times, and that park attendance is sluggishly growing, putting more pressure on aging rides.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
What would prevent Disney from making more $$ off of a Star Wars land, not to mention having a big draw for WDW?

If they build the Star Wars land, or 1/2 park, by around the time frame of the new movies (2015, 2017, 2019 and possibly on and on), then they could host special premieres at this park. Plus, they could put it into the actors' contracts that they have to make a set number of appearances at Star Wars land over the next ten or fifteen years.

Those legions of drooling fans you referenced would probably be more than happy to migrate down to Orlando every couple years for a Star Wars convention on the property.

I doubt if anyone would argue against the fact that WDW has ride capacity issues, especially during peak times, and that park attendance is sluggishly growing, putting more pressure on aging rides.

The fact they would have to spend said $$ on such a land to begin with.....

Compared to raking in the profits from making movies, product tie-ins, Blu-Rays and DVDs, down to the newest plushie being pushed on the shelves at World of Disney? I can't imagine why a new park (or land) would be on the back burner.....

Pixiedustmaker

Compared to raking in the profits from making movies, product tie-ins, Blu-Rays and DVDs, down to the newest plushie being pushed on the shelves at World of Disney? I can't imagine why a new park (or land) would be on the back burner.....

What makes more sense, building a land based on one of the Mouse's biggest intellectual properties, i.e. Star Wars, or giving money to James Cameron for a film franchise they don't own?

Hmmm?

Disney/Pixar makes a ton of money off of Cars merchandizing, something like a billion a year, and yet they built Carsland. There is such a thing as brand synergy and free advertising for your films in the parks.

orky8

Yeah, and making movies is free -- just ask John Carter. Disney has been hit or miss when it invests big in movies. But, all recent major attraction improvement (WWOHP and Carsland) have been smashing profit success stories. Don't get me wrong, it would be practically impossible for Disney not to hit it big with a new star wars movie, but I think it would be nearly as impossible for them to not hit it big with a star wars land at WDW. Both have practically guaranteed ROIs.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
What makes more sense, building a land based on one of the Mouse's biggest intellectual properties, i.e. Star Wars, or giving money to James Cameron for a film franchise they don't own?

Hmmm?

Disney/Pixar makes a ton of money off of Cars merchandizing, something like a billion a year, and yet they built Carsland. There is such a thing as brand synergy and free advertising for your films in the parks.

Money already (potentially) spent as opposed to new money out the door....

And Carsland was needed at DCA more than an entire new park would be at WDW.

Pixiedustmaker

Money already (potentially) spent as opposed to new money out the door....

And Carsland was needed at DCA more than an entire new park would be at WDW.

Carsland did a whole a lot better than expected. And the new paradigm is to build a big detailed land, versus the prior method which was to solely parachute in WDI to re-imagine an attraction, sometimes with varying results.

What WDW needs or doesn't need is a subjective estimation, of course.

And outside of Shanghai, Burbank doesn't seem keen on building a whole theme park. Hence the plans for a half-day boutique type park, which could be easily expanded into a full sized park in the future.

As others have said, Star Wars is a long term investment, Avatarland was just cooked up to expand guest capacity at AK, and to add a new draw.

Pixiedustmaker

Yeah, and making movies is free -- just ask John Carter. Disney has been hit or miss when it invests big in movies. But, all recent major attraction improvement (WWOHP and Carsland) have been smashing profit success stories. Don't get me wrong, it would be practically impossible for Disney not to hit it big with a new star wars movie, but I think it would be nearly as impossible for them to not hit it big with a star wars land at WDW. Both have practically guaranteed ROIs.

Exactly.

My 10 year old nephew loves Star Wars, and there's that cartoon Clone Wars television show, plus all the Star Wars merchandise. I think most people have forgotten about Avatar, but Star Wars is sort of evergreen. Even though Episode I didn't sit well with fans, it still made a ton of cash, as did II and III. Think how far computer technology has come just since Episode I. No doubt everybody and their cousin will want to work on the new Star Wars films, and I think they'll be more critically successful, as well as being typical Star Wars blockbusters given that the folks working on them will have more recent practice making films (sorry George).

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Carsland did a whole a lot better than expected. And the new paradigm is to build a big detailed land, versus the prior method which was to solely parachute in WDI to re-imagine an attraction, sometimes with varying results.

What WDW needs or doesn't need is a subjective estimation, of course.

And outside of Shanghai, Burbank doesn't seem keen on building a whole theme park. Hence the plans for a half-day boutique type park, which could be easily expanded into a full sized park in the future.

As others have said, Star Wars is a long term investment, Avatarland was just cooked up to expand guest capacity at AK, and to add a new draw.

I have little doubt your sources have it all squared away to the last crossed "t" and dotted "i." Let me know when the groundbreaking is. Until then, I'll wait for the lastest news on the next movie trilogy......

Pixiedustmaker

I have little doubt your sources have it all squared away to the last crossed "t" and dotted "i." Let mw know when the groundbreaking is. Until then, I'll wait for the lastest news on the next movie trilogy......

They haven't gotten anything wrong yet, and they are very enthusiastic about this project.

Lee

Adventurer
Just to weigh in a bit...
I have not seen/heard anything at all that would lead me to believe that the Star Wars boutique is anything other than a fan rumor at this point.
Could it have been a blue-sky concept at some point? Sure. But for now, it certainly hasn't moved any further than that.

All info I have puts the future Star Wars attractions in France and Asia, exclusively. At least for now.

TSI...who knows.
There was a real concept for a ride over there, but it goes back several years, and to my knowledge it hasn't moved very far ahead.
I'd be shocked if they are looking at another MK addition with Avatar (maybe...) still on the slate, and DHS in line for a big push.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Hmmm?

But it doesn't need to be an either/or situation. I fully support the idea of expanding the Star Wars presence, but it doesn't fit in AK. I like the Avatar idea and it's a very good fit for AK, so put it there and put Star Wars in DHS or elsewhere.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have not seen/heard anything at all that would lead me to believe that the Star Wars boutique is anything other than a fan rumor at this point.
Could it have been a blue-sky concept at some point? Sure. But for now, it certainly hasn't moved any further than that.

All info I have puts the future Star Wars attractions in France and Asia, exclusively. At least for now.

TSI...who knows.
There was a real concept for a ride over there, but it goes back several years, and to my knowledge it hasn't moved very far ahead.
I'd be shocked if they are looking at another MK addition with Avatar (maybe...) still on the slate, and DHS in line for a big push.

When I first read that line I was thinking, how does Star Wars fit in World Showcase? :)

twebber55

Fin
Exactly.

My 10 year old nephew loves Star Wars, and there's that cartoon Clone Wars television show, plus all the Star Wars merchandise. I think most people have forgotten about Avatar, but Star Wars is sort of evergreen. Even though Episode I didn't sit well with fans, it still made a ton of cash, as did II and III. Think how far computer technology has come just since Episode I. No doubt everybody and their cousin will want to work on the new Star Wars films, and I think they'll be more critically successful, as well as being typical Star Wars blockbusters given that the folks working on them will have more recent practice making films (sorry George).[/quote
Funny you mention this. My students in my class (12 and 13) raved about avatar in my class. So maybe its more about you not liking it

orky8

I was talking about putting SW land into DHS -- seems more logical than a boutique park. It also seems like one of the absolute safest investments TDO could make with a practically guaranteed ROI. Heck, Death Star DVC anyone?

Pixiedustmaker

It takes time for information to filter around the corporation. At any rate, from what I hear, WDI is super excited with the opportunities that the Star Wars acquisition has opened up. Before, Lucas had say over various attraction and show ideas, now its a franchise that the company will be able to use for the parks as they see fit.

wdwfan4ver

More stuff for the Studios park, or Disneyland in Paris?
I am guessing Disneyland in Paris. Disneyland in Paris still has the original version of Star Tours. That means The version of Star Tours they have needs to be replaced or updated since Tokyo Disneyland is getting their Star Tours replaced with Star Tours: The Adventure continues. Disneyland in Paris matter of fact is the only theme park that still is running the original Star Tours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom