Project Stardust - How the "Cleanup" campaign will affect Disneyland - OCR/SCNG

180º

I know we all like to complain about the rocks in front of TL, however the rocks really don't have that much of a pinch point. TL's entrance is actually wider than both Frontierland and Adventureland entrances combined. It just feels packed because everyone is going through that one portal and no one understands traffic control. Removing the rocks, really don't do much since the real blockage is the Peoplemover supports and the AstroOrbitor itself. It also doesn't help that we have bunch of clueless tourists that stop traffic in front of Star Tours looking for the entrance and all those strollers. The rocks purpose is to separate TL from Main Street. Without them, the AstroOrbitor would be on Main Street itself.
The Star Tours and Buzz entrances also contribute to the pinch point. I have long wanted to clear out the Fastpass distribution area and open up the current Star Tours extended queue and repurpose those as nice, roomy, out-of-the-way attraction entrances. Star Tours’ queue could move into Star Trader and Star Trader could move into the Starcade.

Phroobar

The Star Tours and Buzz entrances also contribute to the pinch point. I have long wanted to clear out the Fastpass distribution area and open up the current Star Tours extended queue and repurpose those as nice, roomy, out-of-the-way attraction entrances. Star Tours’ queue could move into Star Trader and Star Trader could move into the Starcade.
Starcade is taken by Space Mountain's queue. They could move the Star Tours entrance to the overflow queue area.

Ismael Flores

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the indoor queue for Star tours was being used this weekend without using the outside queue.

Normally they use the outside queue and only open the inside queue for overflow. That idea never made sense and it seems like finally someone realized that. The walkway seemed so much more open.

Now if only they would move the fastpass machines into the exit store of Buzz. Then just have the exit for Buzz go directly into the store without using the hallway exit.
The fast pass machine section can then be used for queue space.

Maybe they can remove this wall. which just serves as a divider from the fastpass area and exit hallway. combined the hallway and fastpass area as one room for queue. Buzz lightyear has two options for exit, this hallway and there is also a doorway further in this hallway that leads into the store. they would just have to make that the main exit and force people out a reduced store. I think they can even make that store exit wider if needed. This queue relocation might would eliminate the expanded queue up against the walkways.

remove-wall.jpg

Next thing they can do is run the queue behind the planter with a break when it reaches the fastpass entry. or put the fastpass queue behidn the planter and push the standby queue against the front of the planter. right now the standby queue buts up against the walkway because they are leaving space for the fastpass queue right next to it. The planter with Palms can stay just a portion of it that is against wall cut back for a pathway.
behind-planter.jpg

when that is done then the queue would join with the queue space where the fastpass machines are.
new queue direction.jpg

now that wouldnt eliminate the other choke area i circled in green below, that will not be eliminated until they move the rockets. right now that area has two rows of queue. one row going to the queue which is tucked between pixie hollow and the tomorrowland entrance and one row for the return trip to the ride entrance.

As for the rockwork, its true that they don't seem to create the problem of the crowds in entrance but the rmoeval would make the area feel more open. There is one section of rockwork that should at least be removed at least for now and it owuldn't affect the visual entrance of the land until a full plan is developed. The rocks marked in yellow serve no purpose and the removal would help quite a bit to open up the guest flow. The area marked in blue is actually used for Buzlightyear overflow and has a queue set-up that creates a gridlock in that part of the entrance. If the rocks were removed they can push the buzz lightyear queue back and use the where the rocks are now.
choke-areas.jpg

Last edited:

mickEblu

I know we all like to complain about the rocks in front of TL, however the rocks really don't have that much of a pinch point. TL's entrance is actually wider than both Frontierland and Adventureland entrances combined. It just feels packed because everyone is going through that one portal and no one understands traffic control. Removing the rocks, really don't do much since the real blockage is the Peoplemover supports and the AstroOrbitor itself. It also doesn't help that we have bunch of clueless tourists that stop traffic in front of Star Tours looking for the entrance and all those strollers. The rocks purpose is to separate TL from Main Street. Without them, the AstroOrbitor would be on Main Street itself.

I don’t like the rocks because they re ugly. I don’t like the Astro orbiter because of its location... and the old 98 color scheme bothers me.

Ismael Flores

i wonder if a queue change like this would work. I guess it depends on how the indoor queue set-up is inside the attraction. It feels like it cradles the wall and then turns into the loading area.
if that was the case I wonder if they could eliminate the gridlock area of the queue by the entrance by having guests start the queue in what is now the fastpass machine then head to the actual door for a small portion. Once they have gone thru the small queue section indoors then the queue heads back out using a new door and joins with the existing garden queue.
something like this

Can-this-work.jpg

Ismael Flores

just found another spot for the fastpass machines if they dont want to get rid of the little green army store for them. This space is not used and is away from the walkways
fastpass.jpg

The_Bellringer

I hope they are making the Mark Twain’s dock larger, or putting switch backs in. Ever since Fantasmic started using it for pastpass return it’s a clustercluck in there. You are packed in like sardines.

FCivish3

:confused:. That tiny 2 foot planter? They seem to be removing any random spot I’ve ever sat at to take a load off for a few minutes. Pretty soon they ll be no place left to sit.

That is right. An unspoken part of their plan is to push people into restaurants, where they can sit while they buy food, OR, get them to go home earlier, because their feet hurt and they are tired from standing around all day.

mickEblu

That is right. An unspoken part of their plan is to push people into restaurants, where they can sit while they buy food, OR, get them to go home earlier, because their feet hurt and they are tired from standing around all day.

Day by day the “park” is being turned into a ride collection check list / shopping mall.

FCivish3

I think part of crowd control could be an effort to get people to start moving in a more coordinated fashion. There are some countries, such as Germany, where most people just, instinctively, walk on the right side of the road, or the trail, or the sidewalk (they look at you funny if you walk on the 'wrong side' of the sidewalk). Find ways to encourage that in Disneyland. Sometimes just putting a stripe or dashed line down the middle of a walkway will help induce people to move to one side of the line. Isn't great for the aesthetics, but it can help with crowd control and facilitate movement. There are other little tricks that might help. How much research has Disney done into that type of 'augmentation.'

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I think part of crowd control could be an effort to get people to start moving in a more coordinated fashion. There are some countries, such as Germany, where most people just, instinctively, walk on the right side of the road, or the trail, or the sidewalk (they look at you funny if you walk on the 'wrong side' of the sidewalk). Find ways to encourage that in Disneyland. Sometimes just putting a stripe or dashed line down the middle of a walkway will help induce people to move to one side of the line. Isn't great for the aesthetics, but it can help with crowd control and facilitate movement. There are other little tricks that might help. How much research has Disney done into that type of 'augmentation.'

More than most folks will expect. I spent Saturday working with the TDA Director of Accessibility (ADA issues) at the KABOOM build. Part of Project Stardust includes addressing improvements to satisfy the ADA needs.

But yes, they have gathered info from outside studies, and have done some of their own. Ever notice how newer queues are designed to make it harder to cut into the queue the closer you get to the front of the line?

TP2000

• President, Disneyland Resort – Michael Colglazier (2013–2018)
  • President, Disneyland Resort – George Kalogridis (2009–2013)
  • President, Disneyland Resort – Ed Grier (2006–2009)
  • President, Disneyland Resort – Matt Ouimet (2003–2006)
  • President, Disneyland Resort – Cynthia Harriss (1999–2003)
  • President, Disneyland Resort – Paul Pressler (1994–1999; Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, 1999–2002)
  • President, Disneyland Resort – Jack Lindquist (1990–1994)
    • Former Senior Vice President, Operations – Greg Emmer
    • Former Vice President, Downtown Disney and Disneyland Resort Hotels 1998–2012 - Tony Bruno
  • Former Executive Vice President – **** Nunis (1972–1980)

Thank you. Ed Grier, that's the one I forgot. I'm printing out this list and putting it in a drawer here in my den.

Stevek

Ha - wasn't that the standing Al Lutz joke? That Ed Grier never showed his face outside the TDA office and so he's a forgettable cipher.
I actually saw Ed a few times in the park. Probably saw Matt the most...actually saw him running on Ball Road just outside of TDA one day as well.

RollerCoaster

This will prevent stampedes once galaxy's edge opens, and allow better staging of queues;

You are dreaming. Galaxy's Edge will be a fine addition and spark a lot of interest, but demand will not be so high that it create stampedes and daily shutdowns of park entry. The biggest problems are going to be the days following when the daily blackouts end for passholders.

This entire "stardust" campaign is stupid. The solution to the overcrowding is to remove FastPass from some attractions, especially people eaters! The system is on so many attractions that it has created a scenario where every guest in the park is essentially two people. Your virtual self is waiting in line for one attraction while your actual self is off doing something else. MaxPass has only made this worse since it has taken away the effort that used to be required to obtain a FP. When are the higher ups going to realize that the system people love (FastPass) is the root cause of the thing that they hate (over crowding)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom