News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

montyz81

A likely greenlit resort, DVC or not, at the expense of the atmosphere of Fort Wilderness?
The philosophy of W.E.D. Is gone. I know he was also about making money, but not always at the expense of "Show". Disney Parks and Bob do not care as much about "Show". GotU is a prime example of that. Who cares about theme, we need to put something in there that will make money. Hotel rooms make boat loads of cash for this company, so every square parcel of the WDW property will have a hotel on it with some rides in between. I suspect it will look like Manhattan in the next 10 years.

ABQ

So will the new resort fully connect Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness? A Wilderness Junction if you will?
Very good question. I'm interested to see how the infrastructure works out for this. A new boat dock? New boat routes? I frequently stay at the WL and even that short route to the MK can back up a bit at the dock.

jbolen2

Very good question. I'm interested to see how the infrastructure works out for this. A new boat dock? New boat routes? I frequently stay at the WL and even that short route to the MK can back up a bit at the dock.

We stat at the fort a few times a year, the current boat situation can’t handle the extra load. Maybe with some changes it will actually make it better for everyone.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Does anybody actually pay rack rate?
Surprisingly yes.

High demand rooms during peak and holiday season often go at rack rate. Non-value suites often go for rack rate year round.

There are also a shockingly large number of people that flat out don't know any better. The internet is rapidly lowering the population of that group, but there are still people that call Disney, take the first price they are given and never give it a second thought.

Last edited:

asianway

A likely greenlit resort, DVC or not, at the expense of the atmosphere of Fort Wilderness?

2aexser.jpg
I look at it as an investment that will save the atmosphere - it only affects a small footprint given the size of the resort. They could always sell the parcel to Tishman...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
??? Like what exactly?
The history of wdw...there's been literally no contractural or regulatory issue that TWDC has not been able to handle to their satisfaction in courts...

It's the American legacy of patronage: RCID/LBV -> Orange/Osceola County -> Tallahassee -> Capitol Hill/Pennsylvania avenue...

All controlled from lower manhattan.

My point is purely hypothetical: could they eliminate kitchens down the road?

I have little doubt. Not just from a contractual standpoint...but who's gonna fight it? A class action suit from the Disney Vacation Club KitcheN Fan association?

...I mean...cooking is for home...

not a lot of people on that train in the Land of Hopes and Dreams.

Tom P.

Ah, but the BBMs were put in place back when WDW actually allocated a chunk of the ticket prices to the transportation system...
Buses, boats, and monorails could all be shut down today if Disney wanted to. Require customers to provide their own vehicles and pay for parking or pay for Minnie Van service. As Disney is all private property, they could even restrict taxis, Uber, and non-Minnie Van Lyft from operating there and have a total monopoly on paid transportation services.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Buses, boats, and monorails could all be shut down today if Disney wanted to. Require customers to provide their own vehicles and pay for parking or pay for Minnie Van service. As Disney is all private property, they could even restrict taxis, Uber, and non-Minnie Van Lyft from operating there and have a total monopoly on paid transportation services.

So you're going with the "exaggerated reality, lunacy" approach? Like Salvador Dali?

...i'm more of a contempo art kinda guy...but this could be fun too 😜

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They say that at all star music too

I know... :mad:

Personally, we use the kitchen every time we stay in a 1- or 2-bedroom villa. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to rent a car, go to Wally World or Publix or Target and get groceries, and feed our kids a few meals, usually breakfasts but also dinner the night we get in usually, in the room. More freedom, more flexibility, and cheaper, believe it or not... which doesn't, sadly, fit today's Disney.

Captain Barbossa

Absolutely not...those transport people to revenue centers
So would a small narrow gauge railroad. I understand what you're saying, so let me try to break this down to bite size pieces for ya ;)

1. New resort gets built in WL FW area (now total of 3).
2. There are already a total of 12 restaurants in the area (6-7 of those restaurants, guests resort hop to dine at).
3. Let's say said new resort has 4 restaurants (total now 16 in area), with 2 of them worth resort hopping to dine at (8-9 now)
4. Railroad transports guest to restaurants (revenue centers) in area.
5. Railroad could also transport guest wanting to experience other recreational activities (revenue centers) at resorts in area. I know that there is a 99.9% chance that they will never reopen or somehow revitalized River Country, but if they did, you would have another "revenue center".

Now I'm not saying that this is a perfect idea, there are pros and cons like there are with any form of transportation, and questions involving cost of building and operation. But I'm not saying that it would not create revenue. The question is if the number of guest, who would use the RR for those reasons, would be enough to make a profit ;)

Also, before someone brings up the FWRR and how it didn't last long, I just want to point out that the FWRR just went around the FW property (no stops). It was not designed for transportation/create revenue.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know... :mad:

Personally, we use the kitchen every time we stay in a 1- or 2-bedroom villa. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to rent a car, go to Wally World or Publix or Target and get groceries, and feed our kids a few meals, usually breakfasts but also dinner the night we get in usually, in the room. More freedom, more flexibility, and cheaper, believe it or not... which doesn't, sadly, fit today's Disney.

I think you just covered all the reasons they'd yank them in a second if the data told them too

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So would a small narrow gauge railroad. I understand what you're saying, so let me try to break this down to bite size pieces for ya ;)

1. New resort gets built in WL FW area (now total of 3).
2. There are already a total of 12 restaurants in the area (6-7 of those restaurants, guests resort hop to dine at).
3. Let's say said new resort has 4 restaurants (total now 16 in area), with 2 of them worth resort hopping to dine at (8-9 now)
4. Railroad transports guest to restaurants (revenue centers) in area.
5. Railroad could also transport guest wanting to experience other recreational activities (revenue centers) at resorts in area. I know that there is a 99.9% chance that they will never reopen or somehow revitalized River Country, but if they did, you would have another "revenue center".

Now I'm not saying that this is a perfect idea, there are pros and cons like there are with any form of transportation, and questions involving cost of building and operation. But I'm not saying that it would not create revenue. The question is if the number of guest, who would use the RR for those reasons, would be enough to make a profit ;)

Also, before someone brings up the FWRR and how it didn't last long, I just want to point out that the FWRR just went around the FW property (no stops). It was not designed for transportation/create revenue.

I'm feeling your flow on this one...everyone loves the Choochoos including me...

But I don't see them paying the cost of a transport system just for hotel restaurants in a closed loop.

I guess I can clarify: transport is merely TOLERATED when it goes to revenue centers. Those are the parks and downtown.

And when you talk "profit"...that's even worse. The profit comes mostly for merch and i believe quick serve was second. I bet those upsells and cupcake parties are climbing the list quickly...as well. Everything else diminishes/gets gobbled by overhead...

So that's why I couldn't see it...but it's worth the discussion and I like your take on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom