Professional Photography in the Parks?

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
This is a random question brought on by my obsessive lurking of Disney wedding/engagement websites :p. In WDW you are not allowed to have professional pictures taken by outside photographers but you are basically supposed to purchase a package through Disney's photographers, right? Hypothetically speaking, if one of my friends is a photography student would her taking pictures of my boyfriend and I for example be violating this? I guess I'm basically just wondering how Disney would even distinguish a professional, hired photographer from someone like my friend, or maybe even just someone who has a fancy camera (clearly I know absolutely nothing about photography-- "fancy camera" lol).

puntagordabob

If it is your friend then I wouldnt worry about it and take the pics... of course use common sense so to not disrupt the vacations of others by your photo shoots......that would be a No No

CP_alum08

I take a "fancy camera" into the parks all the time, often with a tripod too and never get hassled (well ok, not never, but rarely :)). I assume they just don't want you setting up lighting and backdrops in the parks. But you are on to something here, I'm not sure how they could tell if you are a 'professional' or not.

sweetpee_1993

It should be fine for your friend to do pics for you. The biggest perk I can think of to doing a professional extended shoot with Disney's Fine Arts Photography is being able to do pictures in a park before its open to the public so you get shots with nobody else in the background. :)

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
My assumption (though I don't claim to know the official answer) would be that as long as your friend isn't setting up lights and backdrops, they probably won't say anything to you, unless it becomes a bother to the other guests (i.e. you're effectively blocking off a walkway or something).

Wannabe Walt

Disney won't bother you unless it becomes a disruption. There is no real way for cast to tell the difference between a man with a "fancy camera" and a professional. My best friend often takes his Canon 7D and massive tripod to the parks and has never had an issue. ... You are also allowed to take pictures of whoever you want, as long as it is not for commercial purposes. That isn't a Disney rule, that is a general public rule... or something like that. :)

DisneyJoe

In WDW you are not allowed to have professional pictures taken by outside photographers but you are basically supposed to purchase a package through Disney's photographers, right? Hypothetically speaking, if one of my friends is a photography student would her taking pictures of my boyfriend and I for example be violating this?

What will you and your boyfriend be wearing? Park attire or formal wear?

dreamfinder

Someone on one of the wedding boards posted a great group that does photos at the Disney parks. Now most of what they have posted in their galleries has been private events, weddings, private dinners, etc, but outside groups do operate in WDW.

WDW for the most part won't make to big a deal of it if you keep it low key and out of way. So many people have dSLRs now and carry multiple lenses it's very difficult to tell a pro from a prosumer or amateur. But disrupt guests, or make it look like Disney is letting you be there (wearing formal attire during the middle of the day, climbing over fences etc), they may ask you to leave.

ddbowdoin

as long as the photographer keeps everything on camera you'll be all set and good to go

as long as he/she doesnt start using light stands with strobes and soft boxes/beauty dishes you'll have no problems

I_heart_Tigger

Disney won't bother you unless it becomes a disruption. There is no real way for cast to tell the difference between a man with a "fancy camera" and a professional. My best friend often takes his Canon 7D and massive tripod to the parks and has never had an issue. ... You are also allowed to take pictures of whoever you want, as long as it is not for commercial purposes. That isn't a Disney rule, that is a general public rule... or something like that. :)

I kind of wondered about this as well. I have a photography website and I charge people for doing portraits. I also sell my landscape photography and I will be taking a professional camera, lenses, tripod on my next Disney vacation.

I will be blogging about my trip and plan on posting photos up on my site. Would this be a violation? My understanding is that as long as I'm not making money from the photos than I'm OK but if I am using them on my website (blog) one could argue that is for commercial purposes. Some of the regulations are worded in such a way that I could argue both points.

I am one that follows the rules when taking my photos - I don't use flash on rides and I try not to disrupt people but at the same time, if I set up in a spot for a parade/fireworks hours early to get a shot - then, no I will not be moving to allow anyone else (family, kids etc) in (that's MY 2 sq feet of space dammit) :)

The commercial agreements, though can be confusing.

CP_alum08

I kind of wondered about this as well. I have a photography website and I charge people for doing portraits. I also sell my landscape photography and I will be taking a professional camera, lenses, tripod on my next Disney vacation.

I will be blogging about my trip and plan on posting photos up on my site. Would this be a violation? My understanding is that as long as I'm not making money from the photos than I'm OK but if I am using them on my website (blog) one could argue that is for commercial purposes. Some of the regulations are worded in such a way that I could argue both points.

I am one that follows the rules when taking my photos - I don't use flash on rides and I try not to disrupt people but at the same time, if I set up in a spot for a parade/fireworks hours early to get a shot - then, no I will not be moving to allow anyone else (family, kids etc) in (that's MY 2 sq feet of space dammit) :)

The commercial agreements, though can be confusing.

There has to be quite a bit of grey area with these rules. I have sold photography in the past (none of it Disney) but I do have some of my Disney shots published in various things not owned by Disney. And stuff like the Touring Plans books, all those shots come from non-Disney/fan photographers yet someone is making money off them. My assumption would be that as long as you aren't selling more than Disney is, they probably won't come after you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom