Pro/Con Disney Vacation Editorial

Tom P.

I am only through the first couple of paragraphs, and I am already rolling my eyes. Things that have jumped out at me so far:

- She calls it "the happiest place on Earth," which is Disneyland.
- She claims that at age 15 she was outraged at the price of a fountain drink, which I find difficult to believe.
- She refers to a man she dated in her 20's as a "boy."
- She has used the phrases "rampant consumerism" and "cultural forgery."

I don't think this is going to end well.

ETA: Okay, the second writer -- the one who is pro-Disney! -- says, "I recognize I'm writing from a place of privilege." I'm out. I can't take any more of the smarmy, elitist, condescending nonsense in this article.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I am only through the first couple of paragraphs, and I am already rolling my eyes. Things that have jumped out at me so far:

- She claims that at age 15 she was outraged at the price of a fountain drink, which I find difficult to believe.

ETA: Okay, the second writer -- the one who is pro-Disney! -- says, "I recognize I'm writing from a place of privilege." I'm out. I can't take any more of the smarmy, elitist, condescending nonsense in this article.
I did not think the pro writer came off swarmy, he was mentioning he got to go every year when he was young, for which he knew is a privlege.

JIMINYCR

These kinds of Disney hit pieces show up fairly often. Its always the same... Too crowded, too expensive, no one enjoys their trip, it was something theyll never do again, and because they are the experts, you should listen to them and never go because youll have a rotten time as well. And they get paId for turning out this type of article.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
These kinds of Disney hit pieces show up fairly often. Its always the same... Too crowded, too expensive, no one enjoys their trip, it was something theyll never do again, and because they are the experts, you should listen to them and never go because youll have a rotten time as well. And they get paId for turning out this type of article.
Again...not a hit piece. Two different perspectives.

thomas998

I wouldn't nitpick on things like whether the happiest place on Earth was intended to be WDW or DL... From the perspective of lots of people the two are one and the same and only differ in which coast they are on. And at 15 you may very well be outraged at the price of a fountain drink, you forget that sometimes families take their kids to a place, give them X amount of money and that's it. Not hard to imagine some parent giving the kids 20 a piece and then saying see you when it closes at such and such point. That was pretty much the way my aunt and uncle always did their kids at any amusement park they took them to because they didn't want to be bothered with the... so here take the money and see you at the end... Now if you were given a very small amount of money and started looking at how you were going to survive on it for a day at Disney you might very well be upset.

thomas998

Considering how often people complain about the crowds on this forum I'm a bit shocked that someone would have a problem with a negative piece on WDW. Frankly from a completely selfish point of view people should love these types of pieces and tell everyone they know that Disney is the worst place in the world to ever go. If you could get people to believe that the crowds would eventually start to turn the other way and Disney would be a better place... But for some reason I often get the sense that people somehow think they have to defend Disney because they love it so much that they somehow feel like if others don't share the same love that it must mean that they are somehow wrong to love Disney.

I don't really care what people think about something I enjoy or something I hate. I know there are things I like that other hate and things I hate that others love... So what? It doesn't really bother me and I don't feel my self worth is somehow injured by differences of opinion. Why do others seem to take it so personally?

JIMINYCR

Again...not a hit piece. Two different perspectives.
Of course it is. Not fair and balanced at all with including any of the good aspects of what Disney has to offer. The second one even had to put in his biased slant of the ruination of HOP because of the orange haired one in HOP, just to show his anger in a piece that shouldnt have included any political comment. Oh yes there was one positive... Disney dresses up for Christmas.

JIMINYCR

Considering how often people complain about the crowds on this forum I'm a bit shocked that someone would have a problem with a negative piece on WDW. Frankly from a completely selfish point of view people should love these types of pieces and tell everyone they know that Disney is the worst place in the world to ever go. If you could get people to believe that the crowds would eventually start to turn the other way and Disney would be a better place... But for some reason I often get the sense that people somehow think they have to defend Disney because they love it so much that they somehow feel like if others don't share the same love that it must mean that they are somehow wrong to love Disney.

I don't really care what people think about something I enjoy or something I hate. I know there are things I like that other hate and things I hate that others love... So what? It doesn't really bother me and I don't feel my self worth is somehow injured by differences of opinion. Why do others seem to take it so personally?

I dont take it personally, I was just commenting on the article that the OP posted. Personally, I'd love it if it made the parks enmpty so I could have a walk on vacation. But my take is that you rarely see an article posted that is fair. Disney articles always include only the worst of WDW. Again I could care less personally what a journalist writes but I would like to see a journalist that writes a fair and unbiased article about anything. Journalism is supposed to give us the facts to inform us and let us make decisions. Not influence us their way, as most journalists do today in everything.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I dont take it personally, I was just commenting on the article that the OP posted. Personally, I'd love it if it made the parks enmpty so I could have a walk on vacation. But my take is that you rarely see an article posted that is fair. Disney articles always include only the worst of WDW. Again I could care less personally what a journalist writes but I would like to see a journalist that writes a fair and unbiased article about anything. Journalism is supposed to give us the facts to inform us and let us make decisions. Not influence us their way, as most journalists do today in everything.
But this was in the editorial section, where writers are allowed to display more of their personal thoughts. There is a difference between journalism and opinion.

eliza61nyc

Not really, I remember well Walter Cronkite giving his take on the news.
As someone else mentioned this is an opinion piece.
Generally opinion pieces are a space where authors can go with their takes

I think one problem is that Disney itself is complicated and no way can you explain it on a 1/2 page opinion post.

I do think it was silly of the first author to compare it to Paris,. Did she really expect the effiel tower to look the same? Lol
She says she likes vacations with a cultural experience and then bemoans the fact that everyone in wdw speaks English ( or most people). Really??
I think the only reason she went was because the Inquirer sent her

thomas998

I don't think there has been anytime in the last hundred years when journalists were able to write a truly unbiased article. I don't think anyone really could even if they tried, and if they were able to I suspect it would be so dry and dead that it would have all the appeal of reading a box of ingredients on a cake mix. The bias is usually what hooks a reader, the only question is whether the bias is so blatant that it turns off a reader or so subtle that the reader doesn't notice it.

Minnie Mum

To reiterate, it's an OPINION piece. So isn't it, by definition, going to be biased? 2 opposing views of the same place. And since these are personal opinions, neither is wrong and we are free to agree or disagree according to our own personal opinion. I may read these pieces for entertainment ( or out of sheer boredom), but the views of 2 random strangers aren't going to change my view of the parks one way or the other. If this article was the basis that deterred anyone from going, I'd have to wonder at how easily swayed that person was.( Baaaa). As for getting upset by what was written- well that's just silly.

drizgirl

To reiterate, it's an OPINION piece. So isn't it, by definition, going to be biased? 2 opposing views of the same place. And since these are personal opinions, neither is wrong and we are free to agree or disagree according to our own personal opinion. I may read these pieces for entertainment ( or out of sheer boredom), but the views of 2 random strangers aren't going to change my view of the parks one way or the other. If this article was the basis that deterred anyone from going, I'd have to wonder at how easily swayed that person was.( Baaaa). As for getting upset by what was written- well that's just silly.
People don't seem that tolerant of different opinions around here.

Smiley/OCD

Hey, I'm a Jets fan, so you'll get no sympathy from me!! As I remember, wasn't the old vet the only NFL stadium in the country that had jail cells in the bowels of the stadium? 'Nuff said! LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom