News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

MrPromey

Well it’s not a bad idea at all. I’ve thought they should develop the Figment and Dreamfinder IPs for years.

Just remember, their track record for turning attractions into moves is more than a little spotty. Curse of the Black Pearl was great. Haunted Mansion and Country Bears, not so much.

If Jungle Cruise ends up okay, we might be able to forget the 4th pirates movie happened... maybe.

UpAllNight

Incredible how regional parks have managed to open all over the world without axing any rides. I’d be all for this if replacements are on the cards, but I think we all know Disney are going to go through a long period of absolutely nothing. Best hope is Universal push ahead with Epic Universe and keep Disney on their toes.

AnonymousStitch

Just remember, their track record for turning attractions into moves is more than a little spotty. Curse of the Black Pearl was great. Haunted Mansion and Country Bears, not so much.
I'm afraid that is not really true of what you said about the Haunted Mansion and Country Bears movies. Only to you they are not great, but not officially. Because there are many people like myself who see otherwise. My parents believe so, because they like the songs in the Country Bears movie. Why we even listen to the soundtrack.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Incredible how regional parks have managed to open all over the world without axing any rides. I’d be all for this if replacements are on the cards, but I think we all know Disney are going to go through a long period of absolutely nothing. Best hope is Universal push ahead with Epic Universe and keep Disney on their toes.

I thought these rides were dead (except RoL) anyways....

MrPromey

I'm afraid that is not really true of what you said about the Haunted Mansion and Country Bears movies. Only to you they are not great, but not officially. Because there are many people like myself who see otherwise. My parents believe so, because they like the songs in the Country Bears movie. Why we even listen to the soundtrack.

So, Country Bears:

4.1 on IMDB, 30% on Rotten Tomatoes and 37% on Metacritic - add that to the fact that the movie had a $35 million budget and only managed to pull in $18 million in the box office and it's fairly safe to say that most of the world (including Disney) see it as having been a dud.

That feels pretty official to me.

I'm glad you liked it but if they make too many jems like that, the company will go bankrupt.

There's been plenty of movies (and other things) I've liked over my lifetime that have bombed with critics and most of the population so don't think I'm trying to judge you, here.

I'm just saying that putting personal tastes aside, there was a lot about the movie most of the world didn't like and the same pretty much applies to Haunted Mansion, although, with marketing budgets added in, that one was probably pretty close to break-even, financially.

AnonymousStitch

So Country Bears:

4.1 on IMDB, 30% on Rotten Tomatoes and 37% on Metacritic - add that to the fact that the movie had a $35 million budget and only managed to pull in $18 million in the box office and it's fairly safe to say that most of the world (including Disney) see it as having been a dud.
I really don't care about that little thing to be honest.

That feels pretty official to me.
Suit yourself, but it still only an opinion. Like I said, only to you.

I'm glad you liked it but if they make too many jems like that, the company will go bankrupt.
Yes, I sort of get the picture.

There's been plenty of movies (and other things) I've liked over my lifetime that have bombed with critics and most of the population so don't think I'm trying to judge you, here.
I can assure you, I didn't think you were trying to judge me about anything.

Last edited:

trainplane3

I wouldn't say they're axing this because of the situation. It's more of a good excuse to axe them. We knew Stitch was dead unless they really wanted to bring the only theater not dismantled back online. Primeval was barely running before the parks even closed. The last time I saw it running was during a DVC event in February. Every other report was "it's not open" during normal hours. These were two attractions that need replacements anyways. It just depends when they get replaced.

RoL: While it wasn't great especially after We Are One, it was the biggest surprise to see it "retired". I won't count it as gone forever until I see pictures of the floats being torn apart. Until then I'll consider it mothballed.

jrhwdw

SO........................Just finding this now, I'm am SHOCKED ROL doesn't have a safety net like HEA, EF, F!.....Or are all those gone now too?!?!??!??! IF they are..........HEADS NEEDS TO ROLL!!!!!! I know I'm 20 pages late but what happened? We all figured ROL would come back when Nights return to WDW. I can just Imagine where ROL's safe money went too.............

BromBones

This is your argument, not mine. I was asking for your clarification on how a 50mW power plant is insignificant, and asked for some metrics on how a stage theater damaged the environment, other then you used to see a few squirrels there.

Clearly you didn't pay attention to what was living in that area. Once again argument ad absurdum.

By "50mW power plant"..... are you referring to the solar panel farm?

phillip9698

Pretty much all of my favorite "local" theme parks have removed rides to build on that same plot of land. Its very common.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Clearly you didn't pay attention to what was living in that area. Once again argument ad absurdum.

An argument ad absurdum would be that if the argument proposed the absurd. It is not absurd that there is wildlife almost everywhere. There is no proof you offered that the plot of land had unique wildlife that couldn't be found almost anywhere else.

What is absurd is your claim of that plot of land being unique when it wasn't, unless you have proof of that.

3-D

If Jungle Cruise ends up okay, we might be able to forget the 4th pirates movie happened... maybe.

Totally fair point but I do think that those films could have been better if they were made today and not rushed out as a cash grab post Pirates.

MickeyMouse10

The cheapest retheme for "Dinoland" would probably be an "Indiana Jones Land". All they would need to do is retheme Dinosaur and put off-the-shelf rides like a Crazy Mouse coaster (like Goofy's sky school) and an Aerial Carousel ride with planes (like Dumbo).

But of course I don't think it completely fits with the theming of Animal Kingdom.

Last edited:

NelsonRD

You said "pointless gesture like a solar farm that won't power anything of substance in the parks". And I'll ask again. How is a 50mW power plant a pointless gesture that won't power anything of substance?

You are also arguing "what was living in that area", and I just asked for some measurable facts. Your right, I didn't pay attention to the area, so what are the facts? You make outrageous claims with nothing to back them up other than your feelings.

For the 3rd time. Why is the power plant pointless, and how much damage do you claim has been done leaving Rivers of Light abandoned?

zombiebbq

I agree. Sure Disney is absolutely mammoth compared to regional parks, but with all the profits they take in (Covid or not), permanently closing attractions is just a bad look. And we all know they won't get replacements any time soon. Wonder if Universal has announced any closures?

disneygeek90

I agree. Sure Disney is absolutely mammoth compared to regional parks, but with all the profits they take in (Covid or not), permanently closing attractions is just a bad look. And we all know they won't get replacements any time soon. Wonder if Universal has announced any closures?
Not that I'm aware of. They've actually opened a new show and have the majority of the tracks up now for the new unannounced JP coaster.

Good point...I wonder if it hit a “point of no return” regarding maintenance?

Our next-door neighbor works in Maintenance at WDW. Every time we meet (even while lawn mowing) he has more negative stories regarding the lack of Maintenance Staff and deteriorating park maintenance. Walking down Main Street is tough when you see burned out bulbs on the marquises. day. Would you ever imagine seeing folks doing touch-up painting during the time when guests are about, and posting "Wet Paint" signs? They are so manpower stretched such "nighttime" work during the daytime. He tells us how long the Things-To-Do list is in Maintenance and the guys (and gals) laugh when they see new postings.

Face it, things now are all about money, and not Guest Satisfaction !!!

dewardevi

Dinoland rides like Primeval were pretty much off-the-shelf carnival factory products that, now that they’re fully depreciated, Disney can probably sell on the used-ride market and recoup some of their expenses. Comes a point where growing maintenance costs vs. rider usage no longer justifies their existence. I don’t know what I’d do with the space, but there are a few Disney dragons sitting around looking for work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom