News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

MickeyMouse10

Not really. The original RoL had potential .

If they just gave us "World of Color" like we wanted then it wouldn't be closing. The show just was never good for various reasons. The biggest strikes against it were the boats are too far away and the water features were never crystal.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If they just gave us "World of Color" like we wanted then it wouldn't be closing. The show just was never good for various reasons. The biggest strikes against it were the boats are too far away and the water features were never crystal.
I don’t think we wanted World of Color or a derivative. Nor could we have it here.

The biggest problem with the water features was they were at the mercy of the wind. A good night and they were astonishingly good. A bad night was like Fantasmic with no plot or characters.

I’ve posted this before but it shows what a good night looked like

Higginbotham587

I don’t think we wanted World of Color or a derivative. Nor could we have it here.

The biggest problem with the water features was they were at the mercy of the wind. A good night and they were astonishingly good. A bad night was like Fantasmic with no plot or characters.

to be honest I saw it on a great night for the wind and thought it was ok, too short, and it did not leave me wanting to see it again like RoE or Fantasmic

MickeyMouse10

It's pretty bad that Universal was able to put on a better water show.

Perhaps they shouldn't have put it in an already made deep water area, overflowing with various wildlife. If it was unconnected to a river and only like a foot or so deep then maybe it would have been better.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That “zoo” is the third highest attended theme park in North America. Behind only the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland.
Location, location, location. Move that park to Texas or California (not Anaheim) and how many people do you think it might pull in?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It still pulls more than four other theme parks in that same location...
My point -- it's in the complex with 3 other Disney parks. If it was stand-alone, it wouldn't pull nearly as many people.

I'm thinking it wouldn't do any better than Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, and that comparison is more than a coincidence...

peter11435

My point -- it's in the complex with 3 other Disney parks. If it was stand-alone, it wouldn't pull nearly as many people.

I'm thinking it wouldn't do any better than Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, and that comparison is more than a coincidence...
Yes, but again it pulls more guests than two of the other parks in the same complex. So clearly the “zoo” wasn’t a bad idea.

disneygeek90

This is a weird argument. All of the parks lean on and enable each other. The "world" aspect is what sets it apart from basically any other theme park resort. Would Epcot have it's same numbers if it wasn't down the street from Cinderella's Castle?

Last edited:

ghidorah97

I guess I caught RoL on a good night. It was beautiful and charming.

My wife and I had the same experience. Clearly caught it on a good night and thoroughly enjoyed it. We're sad to see it go, but very clearly seem to be in the minority. Look at it this way - would we rather have a show that (seemingly) many find disappointing or absolutely nothing (which is what we are now getting)? I'll take the mildly disappointing show any day.

Oh well.

trainplane3

I remember footage of the show from D23 2015 actually looked promising.

Oh, it had multiple issues. But the bones were there to build on. I’m hypercritical of the (lack of) finale and the total reliant on water screens that were too fragile for the wind.
Who would win?
- State of the art automation, projection tech, with water and lighting effects
- A 5mph gust of wind

Though the seating setup definitely didn't help with this style of show.

As in the first one.

Between RoL and Fastpass+ that’s quite a few bonuses not paid. At least they're being honest in a PR fluff way. Shame; the original RoL had potential and some lovely music.
RoL had such a great soundtrack. Shame it was butchered by We Are One.

BromBones

Good job Disney. You destroyed the beautiful setting in front of Mount Everest and disturbed all of the wildlife that settled in that area all to try to make a light show and turn Animal Kingdom into a night time park...did you actually do market research to see if this is something that people wanted?

It was nice having Animal Kingdom close at 5pm. There is no reason to keep that park open after 5pm...but of course Disney needs to try to suck that money out of everything.

And where were the environmentalists when Disney tore out all of those trees and natural surroundings to build the bleachers for the Rivers of Light show? They did more damage to the environment with that than any plastic straws will do to the vast oceans.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This is a weird argument. All of the parks lean and enable each other. The "world" aspect is what sets it apart from basically any other theme park resort. Would Epcot have it's same numbers if it wasn't down the street from Cinderella's Castle?
Epcot stand-alone would have gone the way of Splendid China.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom