News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When you've produced a product that has people feeling like they're prisoners in their seats and find themselves shuffling their feet just waiting to leave, that's a problem. At least Disney recognizes this.

I hope they find a way to reuse those floats, the animal ones in particular are entrancing.

It'd be great if they could program the lotuses and floats to pop out occasionally. Maybe even make a trip around Discovery Island like the character barges are current doing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You know what's interesting?

All the other attractions that were not announced as dead and done.

WDW has announced
  • which attractions are delayed (maybe indefinitely): Poppins and SSE refresh
  • which attractions are being redesigned: Festival Center; Splash Mountain
  • which attractions are being terminated: PW, RoL, SGE

Does that represent everything and we can expect everything else not mentioned to eventually come back, or, is this the first of the centipede's shoes dropping?

champdisney

How long ago was that leaked photo of the Stitch AA endoskeleton released? A year and half ago? It was pretty obvious then that the show had met its end.

Primeval Whirl is somewhat of a shocker, perhaps Disney plans on doing something new with Dinoland five years after this pandemic debacle is over and done with?

What has me by surprise is Rivers of Light getting the axe. I’ve heard many issues regarding the show on here since it’s conception so maybe it’s not much of a surprise after all?

rct247

It'll be interesting to see if more are added to this list or,more likely, if a new seasonal list will come it of this.

If we are looking at permanently closing any others, my guesses are Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Citizens of Hollywood, & the Pixar Shorts Theater. I would be devastated losing the Citizens, but they have seen cut after cut for nearly a decade. Pixar Shorts is no major loss. Mermaid is just so costly for a dated show.

I think we might see the following go seasonal status: Turtle Talk with Crush, Country Bear Jamboree, & Tom Sawyer's Island.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think that’s going to change, the bubble has burst. Either prices go down (more likely) or they need more experiences.
I’d like to agree with you...but that requires faith in the consumers to have principles they never demonstrate they have.
I hope JR has a trick up his sleeve for AK...maybe, just maybe, good things are coming.
He’s has a long list of “tricks” for that park since the ground breaking...namely cancelling himself out with both great designs AND an irreverent disregard to budgets/business that have probably held the park back over time.
I don't get people that say this at all. Animal Kingdom is far and away the prettiest park. The nature trails are awesome. We can spend two days there easily. It's our favorite.
It’s a great park...but flawed still.

The problem with big Disney fans is they seem to get offended when people suggest they want more rides for their money spent and don’t want to stare at themed walls or spend 2 hours in a character meal.

The problem is they are “normal” and we are not...and Disney needs them as much as us.
The only way to do distancing and get enough customers to make the parks not be in so much of a deficit is to offer full day parks.

While the other parks don't have any night shows, that puts DAK on par with them.
I don’t think even that’s enough...either
You know what's interesting?

All the other attractions that were not announced as dead and done.

WDW has announced
  • which attractions are delayed (maybe indefinitely): Poppins and SSE refresh
  • which attractions are being redesigned: Festival Center; Splash Mountain
  • which attractions are being terminated: PW, RoL, SGE

Does that represent everything and we can expect everything else not mentioned to eventually come back, or, is this the first of the centipede's shoes dropping?
It really depends on how bad the financial damages are gonna be...and for how long?
It’s interesting, it’s almost like this pandemic is revealing which features of the parks have only been operating in order to save face.
You noticed that too?
Hopefully, this means the beginning of the end for Dino-Rama! Even if they don't replace it with anything, that would be an aesthetic/thematic improvement!

Unfortunately, since they haven't announced a closure of TriceraTop Spin - which would obviously be necessary for the removal of Dino-Rama - I'm not sure if this counts for much...
People seem to forget it was a poorly themed, poorly conceived emergency “stopgap” in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom