News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

UNCgolf

It doesn't need to be a whole land. A Shang-Chi dragon attraction would easily fit in the exciting land of Asia.

Probably, but I still can't imagine current Disney doing that. If they're going to build something related to Shang-Chi, they're going to want it to heavily feature Shang-Chi.

RSoxNo1

I’ve said before that a land in DHS that is Chinese themed where you have Shang Chi (going to Ta Lo sounds good) and Doctor Strange in the Hong Kong Sanctum would be a good way to bring in Marvel to WDW using the properties that are allowed. Add some other stuff to fill that could be allowed (SHIELD, Eternals, maybe Moon Knight might be okay or something with Skrulls (Secret Invasion))
Yep Shang Chi / Ta Lo is a perfect fit for DAK.

doctornick

Yep Shang Chi / Ta Lo is a perfect fit for DAK.

I think it could certainly work with a proper story treatment, but they you are basically building an entire new land just for Ta Lo. And that would be much like Pandora. I don't think you could effectively have it work in Asia (especially as it is not a Far East themed land to begin with). And, as mentioned, if you make it significantly about Ta Lo you kind of miss the point of basing something on popular MCU characters and the franchise in general. It's kind of like putting an Endor land there - you could do it and have it work, but there's little point when the IP can be used more effectively elsewhere.

They need to put Marvel in DHS where it belongs (GOTG aside). They could build a land out of the IPs they can use if they wanted and the park needs expansion and capacity.

Jones14

Whatever happens, I hope the Dino-Rama theming goes for good with it. It’s by far the most unappealing aesthetic in the park, and the spinner could easily be redressed to fit another theme if they want to keep it around.

SplashJacket

They need to put Marvel in DHS where it belongs (GOTG aside). They could build a land out of the IPs they can use if they wanted and the park needs expansion and capacity.
Doctor Strange and Shang-Chi both have an Asian aesthetic that would flow well into one another. They also cross paths to some extent in the next batch of movies.

Where in WDW is there an area near another area with an Asian aesthetic that needs love? Animation Courtyard I hear you say!

Both IPs would transition perfectly from the Chinese Theater. Dr. Strange, GotG, and Shang-Chi are honestly the only Marvel IPs that don't require an argument for me to be on board. One is already being utilized, let's use the other two!

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

The Doctor Strange and Shang-Chi both have an Asian aesthetic that would flow well into one another. They also cross paths to some extent in the next batch of movies.

Where in WDW is there an area with an Asian aesthetic that needs love? Animation Courtyard I hear you say!

Both IPs would transition perfectly from the Chinese Theater. Dr. Strange, GotG, and Shang-Chi are honestly the only Marvel IPs that don't require an argument for me to be on board. One is already being utilized, let's use the other two!
The world of Dr. Strange and Shang-Chi cross IN Shang-Chi...Wong showed up and he mentioned Kamar-Taj to Shang-Chi and Katy. There's also the scene super early in Shang-Chi in which Abomination climbs through a portal created by a sorcerer/sorceress from Kamar-Taj.

doctornick

The world of Dr. Strange and Shang-Chi cross IN Shang-Chi...Wong showed up and he mentioned Kamar-Taj to Shang-Chi and Katy. There's also the scene super early in Shang-Chi in which Abomination climbs through a portal created by a sorcerer/sorceress from Kamar-Taj.
And, if I may, using Shang Chi - and Wong in a Dr Strange attraction - is an excellent way to pursue the inclusiveness that Disney is promoting. Let’s face it - Asian representation at the parks beyond the Epcot pavilions has not exactly been much of a thing.

Animaniac93-98

My question is this, will Stitch sit empty for as long as 20,000 Leagues did before it finally got replaced?

The lack of urgency to replace Stitch while it was still running echoes the long, drawn out life of Mission to Mars long after it was clearly dated and notably absent from park promotions.

The North Tomorrowland theater seems cursed. The whole idea of duplicating Disneyland's Flight to the Moon attraction (ever after the actual moon landing) and sandwiching it against the restaurant was an atypically poor choice by WED at the time. Alien Encounter was the closest it ever got to having a compelling attraction that also fit the land's theme and it's unlikely modern WDI will ever come close to that.

doctornick

Ironheart was created long after the contract was signed, so she's likely allowed.
That brings up a question I’ve had about the Uni Marvel contract… is it possible for characters created after the contract to still be prohibited to use by others?

example: Skaar is a newish character but is undeniably in the “family” of the Hulk (he’s the Hulk’s son). Hulk is in use at Uni so members of his “family” would be prohibited elsewhere East of the Mississippi. But he wasn’t created until 2007 long after the contract.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Primeval Whirl site now cleared at Disney's Animal Kingdom​

Primeval-Whirl_Full_45375.jpg

Fox&Hound

I have hope that something will come to this area sooner rather than later. Many guests have always viewed Chester and Hester's and the whole dinosaur area as something of a place holder. Now with PW gone, it looks even more out of place. I guess what Disney needs to decide is which direction to go in:

-Continue the dinosaur theme that is already established?
-Destroy it for Indiana Jones?
-Destroy for something related to Nemo and the oceans?
-The long discussed but often hated Zootopia idea
-Land based on Rya and the last dragon?

I would be fine if Dinosaur got a re-skin or if they brought a new show in to the Nemo theatre. I feel like Universal already has the dinosaur franchise so it would be nice for Disney to go in a new direction.

Marc Davis Fan

In the same manner that ToonTown over at Disneyland was kept open during the first phase of its redesign, and is only closing when they absolutely need to have zero guests in the area, I’m hoping that the PW removal is a similar first step and the rest of DinoRama is only being temporarily kept open for capacity purposes until the moment when their work absolutely requires its closure. So basically, a phased closure that allows them to maintain the area for capacity until the last minute.

I’ve always found the spinner to actually be the biggest eyesore in Dinoland. You can see it as soon as you enter the land from Discovery Island, and it immediately calls out for explanation. All the other lands establish the theme via their unified visuals—“I’m in South Asia,” or “I’m in East Africa,” or “I’m on another world”—but that “unintentional weenie” of a spinner turns Dinoland from “I’m entering a small US town” to “what the heck is this?” Just removing the spinner would increase Dinoland’s thematic integrity twofold, IMHO.

Jambo Dad

Shang chi did weak box office - wouldn’t be a good idea or fit. I do like the suggestion of something for Dr. Strange and Wong related to the multiverse of madness at Hollywood. That character not off limits?

Relative to the America land at Animal Kingdom I think it needs to stay about America and animals either doubling down on dinosaurs, or building an Exp Everest caliber ride themed around American wildlife. Something without ip. Will need to use more land than PW has. please no zootopia, marvel, Nemo or raya!

in any event, the roadside carnival needs to go, the spinner should go someplace else, and Dinosaur needs to go back to its original name - Countdown to Extinction.

cookiee_munster

Part of me wishes that the dino theme is kept, but the focus is made more on the present. So any kind of dino's you see are now long gone (unless you hop in a time rover) I think that way you're able to avoid that awkward Jurassic Park comparison.

I like the dig site, I remember my younger brother having a whale of a time "digging" up that dino skeleton in the sand. So the theme of most of the area being a paleontologist/scientific site bundled together by a group of nutty scientists who are wanting to get you to learn about what walked the earth millions of years ago through edutainment. Be it the planned excavator rollercoaster surrounded by dinosaurs made from bits of old scrap digger machinery or even triceratops spin made to look more industrial and used.

Attachments

• The Excavator (4).preview.jpg
    The Excavator (4).preview.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 76

GoofZ

Shang chi did weak box office - wouldn’t be a good idea or fit. I do like the suggestion of something for Dr. Strange and Wong related to the multiverse of madness at Hollywood. That character not off limits?

Relative to the America land at Animal Kingdom I think it needs to stay about America and animals either doubling down on dinosaurs, or building an Exp Everest caliber ride themed around American wildlife. Something without ip. Will need to use more land than PW has. please no zootopia, marvel, Nemo or raya!

in any event, the roadside carnival needs to go, the spinner should go someplace else, and Dinosaur needs to go back to its original name - Countdown to Extinction.
Shang Chi by all accounts is a box office success.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom