News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

OG Runner

5 years to build 2 coasters?
The Guardians coaster is supposed to unlike an previous indoor coaster for both the experience and the length. Yes it took longer to build than the Velocicoaster. The additional show elements are going to be much more immersive.

UNCgolf

Disney World is opening two E-ticket roller coasters next year. C’mon. There is a perception that Disney is trying to get more money from us (and Universal isn’t with Express Passes?) but no one sees Pandora, Toy Story Land, SWGE, MMRR, Rat, and the two coasters on the way and claims Disney is being lazy.

Well, it's pretty easy to call Toy Story Land lazy...

Jokes aside, they're clearly spending money. I just think the money they're spending is misguided (to an extent; not across the board), which is a different problem. MMRR is good, but replacing GMR instead of doing a new build was a bad decision. Smugglers Run seems like a tremendous waste of money as a mediocre attraction that should have been a home run. I also think doubling up on roller coasters as the new headliners is poor choice -- Disney has never been a coaster park, and a bunch of relatively intense and/or height restricted rides kind of goes against their core audience. Not just kids, but adults who don't like and/or care about coasters and other thrill rides. Disney is by far the best place for those kinds of guests.

That's not to say that I think they should never build them -- Guardians is exactly the kind of heavily themed coaster they should be building (unthemed giant show building and park fit aside) when they do. And obviously Rat and MMRR (Rise as well to a slightly lesser extent) are more along the lines of classic Disney attractions for everyone, so it's not like they've quit building those. But they need more high capacity attractions and in addition to the other potential audience issues, coasters are never going to be high capacity (I can't remember the great term for it now, but the combination of total riders and the length of the ride).

Last edited:

homerdance

The biggest thing for me is that I like the wait times now. If this experience can continue, I‘ll pay. If I start paying and crowds trickle upwards due to greed, I’ll (threaten to) stop going (but probably keep going because I’m an addict).
It will be very interesting how attendance is after the 50th bump. August-Oct 1st has been glorious. (bust most Septembers are low attendance anyway)

DisneyDodo

WDW will have at least 56 rides by the time EU is built. Plus a world's fair, a zoo, and a slew of shows, and several nighttime spectaculars.

UO has 16 rides... let's call it 18 by the time EU is built. EU will have 10 rides (let's add two for optimistic surprises). That's 40 rides. Compared to 56.

WDW will be ahead of Uni for a long time.

It's good that Universal is starting to catch up, and I hope they do well. But it won't affect WDW.
I think your counts are a bit off here. I count (weirdly enough) exactly 50 for WDW once Rat, Tron, and GotG open. There are a few attractions I didn't count as rides that perhaps you included (e.g. CoP, the Wildlife Express, etc.), but I can't imagine how you would get to 56. For UO, I count 29 right now (I think you meant to say 26, not 16, based on your subsequent math). Regardless, WDW will still have more rides after EU opens.

doctornick

There are two large projects set for 2025 that I know of. And I’m sure minor additions as well. Shows, for example.

Sorry, but have to ask the follow up question: Do you mean announced/approved/starting to build in 2025 or opening in 2025? If it's the latter, I guess we'll know about them at next summers D23, right?

ToTBellHop

Well, it's pretty easy to call Toy Story Land lazy...

Jokes aside, they're clearly spending money. I just think the money they're spending is misguided (to an extent; not across the board), which is a different problem. MMRR is good, but replacing GMR instead of doing a new build was a bad decision. I also think continuing to build roller coasters as the new headliners is a bad decision -- Disney has never been a coaster park, and a bunch of relatively intense and/or height restricted rides kind of goes against their core audience. Not just kids, but adults who don't like and/or care about coasters and other thrill rides. Disney is by far the best place for those kinds of guests.
I don’t actually mind TSL. It’s a good kiddie land. Grown adults keep trying to pretend it was made for them.
Sorry, but have to ask the follow up question: Do you mean announced/approved/starting to build in 2025 or opening in 2025? If it's the latter, I guess we'll know about them at next summers D23, right?
Opening.

doctornick

I don’t actually mind TSL. It’s a good kiddie land. Grown adults keep trying to pretend it was made for them.

I think it's find and better than many on here complain about in terms of appearance/theming. I do agree though that the ride capacity is an issue and it should have had another 1 or 2 small offerings even if they were aimed squarely at kids.

ToTBellHop

I don't hate TSL, but if it's intended to be a kiddie land, they didn't do a particularly good job, considering that both new rides have height requirements, and they didn't really add much else in terms of entertainment.
SDD has the same height requirement as 7DMT, another kiddie coaster, and 3” higher than Barnstormer, which people sneak their 2-year olds on by stuffing their shoes with hot dog buns.

aliceismad

I don't hate TSL, but if it's intended to be a kiddie land, they didn't do a particularly good job, considering that both new rides have height requirements, and they didn't really add much else in terms of entertainment.
A.S.S. has a requirement of 32 inches - that's basically a 2 year old. It really just limits dumb parents who want to hold their babies on the ride. Slinky is 38 inches - that's most 3-4 year olds.

There are very few height restrictions at Disney that exclude children who are older than a toddler. My 5 year old went on everything except FOP, Space, PW, EE, and RnRC in 2019.

Last edited:

doctornick

SDD has the same height requirement as 7DMT, another kiddie coaster, and 3” higher than Barnstormer, which people sneak their 2-year olds on by stuffing their shoes with hot dog buns.

Saucers' height requirement is basically "no hand held infants" level. If they can walk, they can ride that pretty much. It's pretty much as accessible as (say) the Teacups are - I doubt people are bringing handheld infants onto that either even though there is no height restriction.

DisneyDodo

Any coaster will have a height requirement, so they'll never be suitable for infants, for example. A proper kiddie area might include a coaster, but it should also include attractions that even the smallest kids can experience. Unfortunately, even A$$ doesn't fit that bill. (TSM existed before TSL, which is why I don't include it in my calculus here).

The same is true of Woodpecker and ET in Kidzone at USF, but that land also has play areas and shows, which TSL lacks.

It's not that I hate TSL as a land in general (I think it's fine), but I don't think it's very effective as a kiddie land.

DisneyDodo

A.S.S. has a requirement of 32 inches - that's basically a 2 year old. It really just limits dumb parents who want to hold their babies on the ride. Slinky is 38 inches - that's most 3-4 year olds.

There are very few height restrictions at Disney that exclude children who are older than a toddler. My 5 year old went on everything except FOP, Space, PW, EE, and RnRC in 2019.
Right, that's kind of my point. Disney as a whole is already very kid-friendly as it is, so if they're going to designate a land specifically for little kids, you would think it would be a no-brainer to add attractions that even infants can enjoy (and that doesn't necessarily mean only rides). It's not that SDD or A.S.S. are too advanced for a kiddie area - it's that they weren't supplemented with attractions for even younger/smaller kids.

ToTBellHop

Any coaster will have a height requirement, so they'll never be suitable for infants, for example. A proper kiddie area might include a coaster, but it should also include attractions that even the smallest kids can experience. Unfortunately, even A$$ doesn't fit that bill. (TSM existed before TSL, which is why I don't include it in my calculus here).

The same is true of Woodpecker and ET in Kidzone at USF, but that land also has play areas and shows, which TSL lacks.

It's not that I hate TSL as a land in general (I think it's fine), but I don't think it's very effective as a kiddie land.
A playground would have been easy to theme, is needed due to HISTK playground closing, and certainly should have been included.

aliceismad

Right, that's kind of my point. Disney as a whole is already very kid-friendly as it is, so if they're going to designate a land specifically for little kids, you would think it would be a no-brainer to add attractions that even infants can enjoy (and that doesn't necessarily mean only rides). It's not that SDD or A.S.S. are too advanced for a kiddie area - it's that they weren't supplemented with attractions for even younger/smaller kids.
I agree with you that TSL could use a nice play area - ideally shaded, maybe with a water feature - where parents can rest and let the littles play. DHS lacks that anyway.

However, I don't think calling TSL a "kiddie" land means that it needs to be highly accessible to and entertaining for the under 3 set. I think by nature of the TS franchise, it makes sense that the land highly appeals to kids around the ages of Andy and Bonnie. Andy was 6 in the original Toy Story, and I believe Bonnie was 4 in TS3.

UNCgolf

I likely wasn't going to care much about TSL regardless, but it just doesn't have the level of theming I'd expect to see at a Disney park -- even for a kiddie area. The whole thing looks like it was done on the cheap and thrown up as quickly as possible. Dinorama gets a ton of hate (understandably so), but it's still a more cohesive and better designed/themed area than Toy Story Land.

Obviously YMMV, but I think it's the most poorly designed area at any WDW park by a pretty wide margin outside of maybe the circus area at Magic Kingdom, which is just kind of bizarre and mostly a waste of space. It's huge and yet has little to do, and the theming is haphazard at best.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom