News Primeval Whirl at Disney's Animal Kingdom experiencing extended downtime

Kman101

I loved the license plates from all over the U.S.! Had lots of fun looking for all of them! The ride is certainly not my favorite, but not one time have we not laughed the whole time!

I enjoy the kitschy store the most out of the Dinorama area. It fits as a roadside tourist trap shop.

I won't miss this if it's going away (and even if it doesn't now, I still don't think it's lasting forever). It's fun but nothing special.

gerarar

Premium Member
Step 1: Go to Pittsburgh
Step 2: Visit the charming local theme park full of rides from the golden age of Amusement Parks, Kennywood
Step 3: Ride the Exterminator, a far superior version with better theming then Primeval Whirl.
I'm not that far haha. Can only go to Dorney or Hersheypark these days lol.

HauntedMansionFLA

Raging Spirits is much smoother and enjoyable than its equivalent in Paris. They completely redid the the track several years back if I remember correctly. It's also one of the most beautifully themed coasters, especially for such a small footprint. It would be a huge upgrade over the cheap and minimally themed Primeval Whirl.
They should dust off the old plans for Indiana Jones and The Lost expedition if they want to impress.

WDWYankee15

If this does turn out to be like Stitch (gutted and nameless), gonna kind be sad that I never rode this attaction out of the many times I visited AK..

Not going to come back until they figure out what caused this accident on an identical ride.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it never came back. Remember it was closed years ago for a while when an employee was killed working on it at AK.

WDWYankee15

Not going to come back until they figure out what caused this accident on an identical ride.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it never came back. Remember it was closed years ago for a while when an employee was killed working on it at AK.

The closure for “unexpected maintenance” was right after this incident

Marc Davis Fan

I’ve never met anyone who has ridden Raging Spirits or its sister ride in Paris that would see it as an upgrade to Primeval Whirl. Most people describe it as underwhelming, painful or both. But at least Tokyo’s version is prettier.

Raging Spirits is much smoother and enjoyable than its equivalent in Paris. They completely redid the the track several years back if I remember correctly. It's also one of the most beautifully themed coasters, especially for such a small footprint. It would be a huge upgrade over the cheap and minimally themed Primeval Whirl.

I was very pleasantly surprised with Raging Spirits. If you go into it recognizing that it should be viewed as a C ticket / supporting attraction rather than any sort of headliner, it's really excellent. The theming is absolutely top-notch, with so many cool artifacts and such to look at. Plus, the fire/water effects and the mist effect just before the loop are all awesome. It's a HUGE step up from a garish, carnival-themed ride. Here is a nice recent POV that also includes footage of the queue theming (there's a lot more that it doesn't capture, but it was the best I could find).

A dig-site-themed version of Raging Spirits, with dinosaur bones and quality rockwork (though for thematic purposes it would likely have to exclude the fire/water/mist), would be a great replacement for the whole Dino-Rama area, and would unify Dinoland's theme and aesthetic. However, I doubt they'd want an attraction with that height requirement, considering the limited capacity of AK that they'd be wanting to improve upon, so if they did a small coaster in this vein, it would likely be 7DMT-level thrills - which I think would be just fine, as long as the theming quality is up to par.

Movielover

How many years did 20K Leagues stay closed before something was done with that area?

Yes but you are forgetting about the amazing attraction that was chosen to replace it! The absolutely best use and re-purpose of a attraction's set and resources...

Brilliant isn't! Best M&G ever!!!! Such mastery of attraction design!!!

and they say current management does stupid things... :rolleyes:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Yes but you are forgetting about the amazing attraction that was chosen to replace it! The absolutely best use and re-purpose of a attraction's set and resources...

View attachment 405174

Brilliant isn't! Best M&G ever!!!! Such mastery of attraction design!!!

and they say current management does stupid things... :rolleyes:
Having the lake be empty for so long was stupid. But adding King Triton was a nice touch if they weren't going to be using the lake.

Fox&Hound

Oh, I hope this closes. Keep the dinosaur theme, keep Dinosaur (the ride), keep the boneyard for the kids, keep the dino characters (I'm sorry but Ducktales characters in the park are just awesome), and get rid of the rest. Imagine a fun family coaster in that area. Imagine getting rid of the tacky roadside vibe and making it look awesome. Add a volcano lounge and maybe a small place to eat or get drinks.

I guess if they wanted to add in characters they could add in Ice Age or the Good Dinosaur but I don't think it is necessary...

Almac97

If this does turn out to be like Stitch (gutted and nameless), gonna kind be sad that I never rode this attaction out of the many times I visited AK..

Not only does Kennywood have one as mentioned above, but there are actually over 20 of this exact model still operating according to RCDB. Throw a dart at a map, go there for vacation, you're probably near one.

Oh, and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom just announced they're getting one too for 2020, and it's themed to safaris or something, so it's not terribly far off for a mildly animal themed spinning wild mouse.

MiddKid

Not only does Kennywood have one as mentioned above, but there are actually over 20 of this exact model still operating according to RCDB. Throw a dart at a map, go there for vacation, you're probably near one.

Oh, and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom just announced they're getting one too for 2020, and it's themed to safaris or something, so it's not terribly far off for a mildly animal themed spinning wild mouse.

SFDK’s is a Zamperla model. Same as the one at FunSpot.

Rod Serling

Haven't seen the reason behind the closure posted, so I figured I'd throw it out there. One of the wheels that helps propel the ride vehicles fell onto the track and therefore it is closed for investigation. Can't recall if there were guests on the ride or if it was during opening procedures, but if it fell just a second earlier, it would've hit a vehicle.

GordonR

Its a very good theory. They are a couple of drive wheels on that specific model just after the halfway trim/e-stop brakes. Something could have dropped down and landed on the track/ground below. Would be an easy fix for a catch cage to be fitted though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom