Prices for a family of four

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
data point: I just booked a room at a Hampton in Lake Guntersville, AL for mid-July (yeah, I know you all visit there regularly). King bed, no parking fee and free breakfast is included but only after 7am (I need to leave by 6am). The discounted GROUP rate is 129+tax. Rack rate is 199. It's no better than a Disney value in terms of room accommodations. For my stay at Pop this May I'm paying 120.71 during the week, and 152.15 on the weekends. I have no issues at all with prices at WDW value resorts. Mods and Deluxe... that's different.

What are the rates at that Hampton over the same dates in May, and at Pop the same week in July?

whiterhino42

Something is not right there, unless you are going at a VERY popular time, maybe? We booked Sept 18-24, 2 adults and 2 kids, so 7 days and 6 nights, with Park Hopper and regular dining plan(free dining) for $3100, we upgraded to Disney dining plan with TS and we are paying $3600, I also ran the numbers and if we did the room only discount, no park hopper, and no dining plan was only $2500, not sure where you are booking, but maybe it is the dates?
It's April so it is more expensive then now I guess but we had to pay for the dining plan so big difference there too. No free offer, but I've never gotten it free. We have always loved going in April but if September is so much cheaper we may have to do that going forward. If we can still go.

Shouldigo12

It's April so it is more expensive then now I guess but we had to pay for the dining plan so big difference there too. No free offer, but I've never gotten it free. We have always loved going in April but if September is so much cheaper we may have to do that going forward. If we can still go.
It will be cheaper to go then, but keep in mind why its cheaper- September is Hurricane season in DW.

Trackmaster

Agreed, We have never paid more than 3000 -3500 for a week at WDW..or DLR( we stay off property at DLR) We do the Values, a lot of counter service meals. We don't do dining plan. We always use the 20% off codes. Then some spending cash. WDW or DLR can be done very economically. You just have to know how to do it. And not expect to stay at a deluxe. Which is of course 110% unnecessary unless you have the cash and its not an issue. We always go 1st week of May.
But we have NO issues with the price of a disney vacation. It is what it is.. Got to pay to go...nothing that nice is cheap.

Yeah, its not terrible on a per person basis. I think that parents might get a little sticker shock just because they might not be used to taking kids on long vacations with them and are used to paying for vacations for two people.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yeah, its not terrible on a per person basis. I think that parents might get a little sticker shock just because they might not be used to taking kids on long vacations with them and are used to paying for vacations for two people.

It's still not difficult to pull off a value WDW vacation, but if you're trying to go 'cheap' it often becomes a better option to visit other destinations. There's no way I'd stay in a value resort, they're too noisy and inconvenient. That doesn't mean it's not perfectly fine for a family who doesn't care about noise or location.

I suspect people get sticker shock because the last time they visited may have been a decade ago and the costs have just about doubled. I recall spending a few days at PoR for right around $100 a night in May of 2010. Today people are indicating that a value is a good price at $120. Not that it isn't, but there's justification in why people may be taken back when they see today's pricing.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Read and article if you go budget all the way, least expensive "All Stars Resort", no sit down meals, you will spend on average $4000.00 Canadian, and if you upscale get a dining package, moderate hotels it can cost up to $10,000 Canadian for a Disney Vacation.

Weird that so many people have that much disposable income.
Nobody has a problem with the price of a Disney Vacation ?

So our numbers are slightly off because it often just the two of us. We stayed for 12 nights - split stays between a 1 Bedroom at BCV and garden view room at FQ, ate mostly signature meals, did the Xmas party, took 3 minnie vans, attended the PG Dessert party, and had 5 day tickets plus 1 day at TL. Our total was roughly $4,800.

Through all the money saving disney tips out there, I paid a whooping $680 oop.

We know Disney is expensive, but there are countless amounts of tips/tricks on ways to make it affordable, if you are set on going.

Disney is "our thing" I guess and we don't mind putting time and effort into saving for it.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Not sure why it matters, as I was just making a point that value resort prices are really not bad...
Hampton property in May (same dates as our Pop reservation) is 162 discounted rate for Honors club vs the 120-152 rates I have for Pop.
Pop for the same Friday in July as my Hampton booking is 185 (no discount) vs the rack rate at the Hampton of 199. The group rate of 129 that I have is for a special event, not available to general public. Best public rate for the Hampton I could find on that July date was 162 with my Honors club discount (refundable up to 2 days before, similar to my room only booking at Pop).

So, yes, it's very rare to pay rack rates at major chains compared to number of days Disney does not offer discounts. But, when trying to compare good deals, Disney Value resorts are reasonably priced, IMHO.

It's important because prices change based on dates. It's not accurate to compare rates of different properties during different months or seasons, they should be compared over the same periods of time. The prices for Pop are really good and it strengthens your case with accurate data. The price for that Hampton mid July (week of the 13th) is $189 rack, $182 Honors per night. The same room at Pop for the same stay is $162 Rack, $130 Sun and Fun. Still Hotel vs Motel but most non-deluxe Disney properties are Motel style accomodations.

MickeyLuv'r

I don't see how this was a response to my message. My point is that you don't save money but going to both chains. You would save money by sticking to one chain.
Yes, it was a response to your post.

It depends how often you go to Florida. Sure, if you have an AP, and stick to just US or WDW, the AP saves you even more, but I'm often told that folks don't want to stay a full week at Universal, much less two full weeks/year. I was kind of factoring that into my post.

Sometimes we go to FL just before an AP is about to expire. So maybe we combine end-of-AP, and a day at the other theme park location to get deals + variety. Swapping off is more long-term strategy than a way to save $ on one individual trip.

I wouldn't call swapping off between the two a "great luxury, " but I suppose it is a small luxury.

Trackmaster

It's still not difficult to pull off a value WDW vacation, but if you're trying to go 'cheap' it often becomes a better option to visit other destinations. There's no way I'd stay in a value resort, they're too noisy and inconvenient. That doesn't mean it's not perfectly fine for a family who doesn't care about noise or location.

I suspect people get sticker shock because the last time they visited may have been a decade ago and the costs have just about doubled. I recall spending a few days at PoR for right around $100 a night in May of 2010. Today people are indicating that a value is a good price at $120. Not that it isn't, but there's justification in why people may be taken back when they see today's pricing.

If you have family in the area and can stay with them, all of the sudden, the trip becomes very cheap. The only problem is tickets,

Yes, it was a response to your post.

It depends how often you go to Florida. Sure, if you have an AP, and stick to just US or WDW, the AP saves you even more, but I'm often told that folks don't want to stay a full week at Universal, much less two full weeks/year. I was kind of factoring that into my post.

Sometimes we go to FL just before an AP is about to expire. So maybe we combine end-of-AP, and a day at the other theme park location to get deals + variety. Swapping off is more long-term strategy than a way to save $ on one individual trip.

I wouldn't call swapping off between the two a "great luxury, " but I suppose it is a small luxury.

Oh... I see your point now. Yeah, I do the same thing with my season passes. I currently hold season passes for:

Disney (M-F Select)
Six Flags Diamond Elite
Kentucky Kingdom
Fun Spot
SeaWorld/Busch Gardens Tampa Silver

Last year I had a Cedar Fair Platinum pass and got a ton of milage out of it. I'm still going to a few Cedar Fair parks this year, but I have a bunch of friends with the passes, so they can get me the $20 tickets.

Was planning to burn out Universal for a year occasional, but I know enough people who work there that I can use their bring a friend will call passes. Plus, I think that Universal kind of sucks. Its all just screen rides.

I'll probably perpetually keep a SeaWorld pass, but I'll probably upgrade to Platinum, and I'll try to rotate SF with CF. I'll probably keep renewing Fun Spot just to support them. I was going to Kentucky twice in two years, so I figured it made sense to get the 2019 pass that would also work for the rest of 2018. And I really encourage people to support Kentucky Kingdom because they really go out of their way to roll out the red carpet for coaster enthusiasts.

I'll probably take 4-6 months off from Disney after I burn Disney out, but I'll get a ton of mileage on this $320 pass. I've already used it 15 times in the last four months.

MickeyLuv'r

We have stayed at all levels of WDW hotels over the years. I've rarely had a problem with noise at any WDW, even the values. Then again, we don't spend a ton of time sleeping at WDW, no matter where we stay.

(Actually the worst was the one time we stayed at Poly. The kids next door were YELLING! Running down the hall, and in/out of their room screaming. that was the worst.)

For me, the concerns I have less about the values are a little more subtle. Like I wouldn't expect huge, luxurious bath towels, but do the towels have to be rough? I also think the last time we stated at a value our room only had 2 bath towels. Argh! That's just annoying when you have 4 people in the room. Two people aren't supposed to shower?

For the life of me, I also can't understand why a shave/make-up mirror isn't standard in every hotel room everywhere. It isn't a high priced feature.

I don't mind energy efficient lighting...but c'mon, there 's no excuse for not providing some light by the sink area, or heaven forbid- provide two lights by the sink? (one bright and one not as bright?)

Oh, and another really DUMB one.....EVERY hotel room should have a built-in nightlight in/near the bathroom. That's another just totally dumb omission in 2019. I should think this would be a no-brainer way for hotel to save $, and provide safety, because we now have low-cost LED nightlights. They are extremely low cost to run and maintain.

I can find these features in many low-cost off-site hotels, so it just annoys me a bit that WDW values don't have them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom