Prices for a family of four

CaptainAmerica

That's great you can spend that much time there, nothings wrong with that. The park has only 7 rides, and one of them I can't stand (primeval whirl). Ive seen lion king, bug and nemo too many times. And just fyi, the train is not running now and they say it will be seasonal, so its no guarantee. But my question is why is it such a bad thing to have more rides and things to do in a park? The funny part is AK is my 2nd favorite park next to magic kingdom. And if it had 3 or 4 more mid size rides, the park would be my favorite. We should all want more of what we love at the parks, especially for the prices you pay.
No offense, but Disney doesn't care about people who "have seen lion king, bug, and Nemo too many times." People who visit THAT frequently are a tiny fraction of guests. It's certainly not a bad thing to have more rides, but they don't NEED more rides because most people aren't skipping multiple hours worth of shows.

Roanlady

My family travels to WDW every couple of years, we do the payment plan so the cost doesn't hurt so much. Now the price of getting there from Mi. using airlines is a big ouch.

Chef Mickey

I'm pretty sure EVERYTHING is objective. So because you think there's enough to do for 12hrs means it's an objective fact? Did I miss the part where yours and CaptainAmericas word became the gospel of truth? And so far no one has answered my question as to why wanting more rides is such a bad thing. You shouldn't have to do everything a park has to offer to make it an all day thing. Magic kingdom should be the standard you look to. With over 20 rides, plus all the shows, no one has to worry about making a day out of it. There are a lot of people who feel the same as I.
MK is objectively lacking compared to DL from a rides perspective

You’re too caught up on rides. Again, the fact there are fewer rides at AK doesn’t make it a half day park and the fact you don’t like certain things is totally irrelevant.

I want more attractions at every park, including MK, but that’s not then point. You skipping shows, rides and exhibits you don’t like or are tired of is completely a you thing.

Last edited:

Damon7777

I guarantee you that every single one of them will be sold out.

Offering a product that customers buy to the point of exhausting capacity strikes me as the opposite of ridiculous. How dare Disney offer this thing that loads of people really like!

So if something sells out it's not ridiculous or inappropriate? Are you sure about that?

eliza61nyc

So if something sells out it's not ridiculous or inappropriate? Are you sure about that?

Again subjective. For the person who only has that week to go to the world and wants to attend, its not ridiculous at all.

Lol I often wished the Osbourne lights were all year so I could get a chance to see them.

Trackmaster

I'm not sure what you mean.
Edit: if you mean people will still want to go to Disney, there's a difference between wanting to go and having the money to go.

My point is that Disney keeps raising prices, but the parks are still getting more and more crowded. They'll keep raising prices until people stop going... it doesn't seem like there's a break-even point in sight.

Honestly, if anything, Disney needs to think of a pricing strategy that's on more of a per-day basis. With congestion being a huge issue, it doesn't make sense to give economy of scale price breaks. They could price enough people out and increase their margins by only selling single day tickets and doing away with multi-day tickets (they'll have to keep the Florida AP's, as that's a political move on their part).

CaptainAmerica

My point is that Disney keeps raising prices, but the parks are still getting more and more crowded. They'll keep raising prices until people stop going... it doesn't seem like there's a break-even point in sight.

Honestly, if anything, Disney needs to think of a pricing strategy that's on more of a per-day basis. With congestion being a huge issue, it doesn't make sense to give economy of scale price breaks. They could price enough people out and increase their margins by only selling single day tickets and doing away with multi-day tickets (they'll have to keep the Florida AP's, as that's a political move on their part).
I think it's going to be the exact opposite of that. Disney isn't going to do anything to jeopardize the hotel side of the business. I expect the biggest increases will be single day park tickets and annual passes, since those people are the least likely to stay on site. Disney doesn't just want to manage the volume of crowds, they want those crowds skewed towards captive on-site guests, i.e. people who fly in, stay at a Disney hotel, and don't rent a car.

erasure fan1

No offense, but Disney doesn't care about people who "have seen lion king, bug, and Nemo too many times." People who visit THAT frequently are a tiny fraction of guests. It's certainly not a bad thing to have more rides, but they don't NEED more rides because most people aren't skipping multiple hours worth of shows.
No offense taken as I came to terms with Disney not wanting to earn my money a long time ago. Thats why I haven't been to the parks since 2015 and canceled this years trip. The last person Disney cares about, is their frequent customers. They believe they don't need my money because I don't spend enough of it. We will agree to disagree on this as we are looking at things from different perspectives. I just don't care that a first timer can spend all day there. So if that is your point, I'll agree. I could spend open to close at my local shopping mall if I went and looked around every store. But that's not my thing.

Hcalvert

Read and article if you go budget all the way, least expensive "All Stars Resort", no sit down meals, you will spend on average $4000.00 Canadian, and if you upscale get a dining package, moderate hotels it can cost up to $10,000 Canadian for a Disney Vacation.

Weird that so many people have that much disposable income.
Nobody has a problem with the price of a Disney Vacation ?

There are ways to save on trips. This year, I paid a total of $5450 at an 8-night stay in a moderate resort for four people (2 adults & two kids), 6-day-hopper, the standard dining plan, and flights. I won't even pay that as I will get discounted gift cards and pay at least 5% less. Last year, we paid about $6000 for 5 people at Poly for 7 nights, including a 5-day hopper, and the standard dining plan, and flights. I have never paid $10,000 for a Disney trip and never will or I will not go.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

No offense taken as I came to terms with Disney not wanting to earn my money a long time ago. Thats why I haven't been to the parks since 2015 and canceled this years trip. The last person Disney cares about, is their frequent customers. They believe they don't need my money because I don't spend enough of it. We will agree to disagree on this as we are looking at things from different perspectives. I just don't care that a first timer can spend all day there. So if that is your point, I'll agree. I could spend open to close at my local shopping mall if I went and looked around every store. But that's not my thing.
I certainly don't blame you. If I wasn't entertained I wouldn't go either.

eliza61nyc

And I actually respect you for that. That is what consumers should do. If you don't think the product has value, let it go.

whiterhino42

Read and article if you go budget all the way, least expensive "All Stars Resort", no sit down meals, you will spend on average $4000.00 Canadian, and if you upscale get a dining package, moderate hotels it can cost up to $10,000 Canadian for a Disney Vacation.

I do,it's gotten outrageous. We are going in April with my Godson, but sadly it may be our last time at these prices. We just won't be able to afford it anymore 😥

whiterhino42

All of this is only relative to someone’s household income.

For us staying for two weeks at OKW with flights from the uk and the dining plan works out at around £115 per person per night thats around $150 for us thats pretty good value but for others it is probably crazy.

Thing is single day ticket is $100 so for and extra $50 each per day we get hotel food flights and transfers.
They must give you great deals in the UK because it's WAY more than that here. WAY more.

whiterhino42

I would estimate an "average" trip to WDW to be $1k/person/week, including food, lodging and parks. Sundries and souvenirs extra. Obviously the choice of value, moderate or deluxe accommodations will have the largest +/- effect.

That's not a cheap vacation by any stretch of the imagination.
well we are staying at pop 7 nights, 6 day hoppers, meal plan and photo pass, supposedly also a room discount $4800 for 2 adults and a 10 year old. That's not including airfare.
3 years ago same exact vacation only at a moderate resort instead of economy and the water park add on, Also with a 10 year old same week was $3800.
6 years ago same exact vacation but at Port Orleans with water parks with son who was 16 at the time was $3200.
So in both previous trips we had better lodging and water parks for much less. I understand costs to up but costs don't go up that fast elsewhere. I realize it's a choice and I do love it but it's becoming too much. I couldn't believe the prices this time for a freaking economy motel! Uhg! My salary can only go up a max 3% a year so I can't keep up with this anymore.

Last edited:

Trackmaster

I think it's going to be the exact opposite of that. Disney isn't going to do anything to jeopardize the hotel side of the business. I expect the biggest increases will be single day park tickets and annual passes, since those people are the least likely to stay on site. Disney doesn't just want to manage the volume of crowds, they want those crowds skewed towards captive on-site guests, i.e. people who fly in, stay at a Disney hotel, and don't rent a car.

Nah, the reason that they have cheap AP's has nothing to do with profitability (directly at least). Its all political. They offer the incredibly generous in-state resident AP's as a gesture to get the Florida legislature on their side. They figure that the autonomy and freedoms that they enjoy (as well as the gifts that Florida gives them) outweigh the money that they lose by selling the dirt cheap APs.

If Disney wants to keep hawking hotels, maybe they could try to beef up the non-park activities and excursions to help justify 7-14 night stays without guests having to go to parks every day.

CaptainAmerica

Nah, the reason that they have cheap AP's has nothing to do with profitability (directly at least). Its all political. They offer the incredibly generous in-state resident AP's as a gesture to get the Florida legislature on their side. They figure that the autonomy and freedoms that they enjoy (as well as the gifts that Florida gives them) outweigh the money that they lose by selling the dirt cheap APs.

If Disney wants to keep hawking hotels, maybe they could try to beef up the non-park activities and excursions to help justify 7-14 night stays without guests having to go to parks every day.
They don't want 14 night stays either. Most families are going to spend $X on merchandise, regardless of length of stay. You'd MUCH rather have two families staying 7 nights each than one family staying 14 nights because you get $2X merchandise spending.

Do you have any evidence of your political claim? Of course Disney is heavily invested in state policymaking, but I can't imagine any legislator at all caring about the price of Florida APs. Disney makes direct campaign contributions and funds political action committees, which are the things they actually care about.

Damon7777

the money that they lose by selling the dirt cheap APs

Lose?? I question your use of "lose" here.

It's not like Costco which actually loses on the single transaction of $1.50 for a large hotdog and unlimited soda; clearly designed as a 'lost leader' to encourage memberships.

LUVofDIS

I love camping too, but it's not the same thing. You're paying for a spot in the forest to sleep on the ground, you're not paying for 24/7 entertainment.

When we go camping we are usually up early (6 to 7 am) and out late, usually after dark. When we are back to the campsite we usually hang around the fire until midnight and than it is off to bed to awake early the next morning. Most our vacations work this way, Disney, Caribbean, camping, we always seem to be on the move.

Even a zoo trip we did a few years ago, we went to a different zoo everyday in multiple states around us. It took us a week to do and I count that as a vacation. Of course I love zoo's so this was special to me.

disneyfireman

Nope. I have no issues at all. I don’t want Disney cheap. Then it loses its luster. If it’s too much. Don’t go I would tell people. No one is intitled to go to WDW/DLR. and Disney doesn’t owe anyone better prices. I work overtime so we can go every year and we love it. Price increase means nothing to me. I’d say the 4000 is a bit high compared to what we pay. But none the less. Vacations cost a lot. It’s callled life. I just wish the whiners would stop going. Lol. There will always be someone to replace them.

disneyfireman

Family of 4 here....7 days/6 nights this April....Port Orleans-FQ, plus airfare and $2500 in spending cash......my total will be $6900.
I have ZERO problems with spending this kind of money, because #1 I have earned it, I have worked my butt off to get to this point in my life and #2 My family is in pure ecstasy when we are in WDW and I can never put a price on that.
Before I got to this point in my life, we would still do Disney, but on a much tighter budget...
We would stay at Pop during a non peak time, drive from Michigan and maybe spend $1000 or less on food and souvenirs.

110% Agreed. Problem is a lot of people don’t want to work to play. They think Disney owes them a cheap vacation. We work to play. And we play hard. That’s the way it is. It’s life. I pull down lots of overtime for our trips. Wouldn’t want it any other way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom