Price Nostalgia

John park hopper

My property taxes have stayed
The 'parking wars' really has me pi$$ed off. We were at Disney and Universal the past two days and had to pay parking at Disney; we don't pay at Universal because it's included in our APH charge. $25 at both parks. It just a few years ago, not decades, where parking was $14. That seems reasonable for a full day. And the Disney parking gouging at the Resorts is ridiculous. It's just a money grab.
THIS JUST IN...Disney has announced that there will be a "breathing charge" tied to your ticket in 2020. Your estimated amount of breaths taken at each park will be considered an adder to your standard ticket pricing.
Really want to be pi$$ed off parking my first time to MK in 1972 parking was 50 cents. There will be a 3 level breathing charge luxury --clean air, moderate air --not so clean air, budget --down right filthy air

eliza61nyc

My property taxes have stayed

Really want to be pi$$ed off parking my first time to MK in 1972 parking was 50 cents. There will be a 3 level breathing charge luxury --clean air, moderate air --not so clean air, budget --down right filthy air

wait, your property taxes have not gone up since 1972??? where do you live if you don't mind me asking?? lol I think I missed a step

Last edited:

John park hopper

wait, your property taxes have not gone up since 1972??? where do you live if you don't mind me asking?? lol I think I missed a step
Clarify about my property taxes never completed my thought (comes with age) my property taxes have not gone up significantly in the last ten years 2800 sq ft house, 3 acres property taxes ~$1500/yr. Low taxes great weather Charleston SC Guess that is why we have a large influx of people moving down from the NE. My brother lives on Long Island NY postage stamp lot smaller house over 10 grand in taxes

eliza61nyc

Clarify about my property taxes never completed my thought (comes with age) my property taxes have not gone up significantly in the last ten years 2800 sq ft house, 3 acres property taxes ~$1500/yr. Low taxes great weather Charleston SC Guess that is why we have a large influx of people moving down from the NE. My brother lives on Long Island NY postage stamp lot smaller house over 10 grand in taxes
;):joyfull:
OT,
lol, ok now I know who to stalk next year. My entire family on dad's side lives in Charleston. Just was down there last Sept for my aunts 100th bday. Praying to every God known to man to be able to retire to Tybee Island in a few years. I promise I will not be those annoying NEasterners who move down south and grumble about how it's not NYC or Philly. I'm a great transplantee

You've got a great city!!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
OT,
lol, ok now I know who to stalk next year. My entire family on dad's side lives in Charleston. Just was down there last Sept for my aunts 100th bday. Praying to every God known to man to be able to retire to Tybee Island in a few years. I promise I will not be those annoying NEasterners who move down south and grumble about how it's not NYC or Philly. I'm a great transplantee

Tybee Island as a retirement spot ??? Whoah, I hope you know what you're getting into, its quite a political, social, and economic morass. My mom's side of the family has been in the area since the 1740's. My Dad used to sit on the Chatham County Board of Equalization and its meetings were always filled with transplants objecting to their tax burdens. It's not the NorthEast, its cordial, but its also insular. They dont care how you did things where ever you came from, things might change, but they do so over the course of decades.

John park hopper

OT,

Thank you for not being one of those HA ha you will be a welcome addition

Trackmaster

I wasn't comparing it to other parks though. I was talking strictly about Disney. Yes, as you said, Florida residents get a good deal. People in other states do not and depending on how often they go it might not be worth it for them.

Yeah, you'd have to be a real Disney addict to make good on an out of state AP. They're like a $1,000+ minimum I think. You'd pretty much have to make multiple trips per year, not a small feat when you consider how far people would have to travel. I'm not really sure what the Vacation Club is all about, but that might be kind of like out of state membership equivalent of an annual pass... no free admission, but you get some perks for loyalty and consistency I think.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah, you'd have to be a real Disney addict to make good on an out of state AP. They're like a $1,000+ minimum I think. You'd pretty much have to make multiple trips per year, not a small feat when you consider how far people would have to travel. I'm not really sure what the Vacation Club is all about, but that might be kind of like out of state membership equivalent of an annual pass... no free admission, but you get some perks for loyalty and consistency I think.
DVC is essentially a timeshare. You do get discounts on annual passes and other perks, but the cash you spend on DVC covers your room and that is it.

John park hopper

Tybee Island as a retirement spot ??? Whoah, I hope you know what you're getting into, its quite a political, social, and economic morass. My mom's side of the family has been in the area since the 1740's. My Dad used to sit on the Chatham County Board of Equalization and its meetings were always filled with transplants objecting to their tax burdens. It's not the NorthEast, its cordial, but its also insular. They dont care how you did things where ever you came from, things might change, but they do so over the course of decades.
I have lived in the south for 40+ years and and the attitude we don't care how you did it where you came from is is exactly why I moved here. If you are looking to change it to like where you came from you will not be happy

Trackmaster

DVC is essentially a timeshare. You do get discounts on annual passes and other perks, but the cash you spend on DVC covers your room and that is it.

Yeah, its weird that Disney offers stupid cheap APs for people who can use them all the time, clog up their parks, and they won't make much money off of them. But they make them so hard to use for people out of state. But I've heard that the main reason we get our cheap APs is political reasons more than anything.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah, its weird that Disney offers stupid cheap APs for people who can use them all the time, clog up their parks, and they won't make much money off of them. But they make them so hard to use for people out of state. But I've heard that the main reason we get our cheap APs is political reasons more than anything.
Who knows...I am just happy they exist. That and no state tax are pretty sweet perks you get from living in Florida. :)

eliza61nyc

Tybee Island as a retirement spot ??? Whoah, I hope you know what you're getting into, its quite a political, social, and economic morass. My mom's side of the family has been in the area since the 1740's. My Dad used to sit on the Chatham County Board of Equalization and its meetings were always filled with transplants objecting to their tax burdens. It's not the NorthEast, its cordial, but its also insular. They don't care how you did things where ever you came from, things might change, but they do so over the course of decades.

OT
😇😀

Thanks Networkpro.
How in the world can anyone from up North complain about Property taxes?? seriously, my first apartment in NY which was basically an oversized shoe box above a strip joint called the kitkat klub came with a 2300 property tax and that was in 1983!! Jeez Philly has a stupid sugar tax, which is probably why drink prices at wdw never shock me. a 20 oz soda is around 4 bucks.

Joeamc

Or in 1983 when I was scratching for the four of us for a three day passport...

View attachment 356570

I love that last line.... Boy, did they ever!!!
I love your post! Great Image! One of the most amazing things I see with it is that back then Disney Actually had kids 3-11 and then 12-17 were Juniors. I have a 13 and a 12 year old and they have been "Disney Adults" since 10 years old LOL

Chef Mickey

Yup. I've never quite understood why some people think that Disney would be insulated from all of the decisions that every other corporation in the world make. Prices are going to climb, value for your money will diminish, and the bottom line is profits. Disney is a multi-billion dollar multinational corporation-this is not Uncle Walt's company any more, in no way, shape or form, and the sooner some people realize this, the sooner they can move on. Does it suck that this is the situation now? Yup, but it's not changing folks, and you either roll with it or you don't.
I pretty much agree with you. However, don't let this wholesome persona we reflect back upon distract you from the simple truth that Walt was a shrewd businessman. I think the "Grandpa Walt" view we have today is slightly distorted and his image is eulogized because he's been gone so long. We only really have memories to look back upon, not daily news and personal accounts of his behavior.

Also, I don't really think prices going up means value declines. Disney is constantly improving too, which is why we keep going back.

Goofyernmost

**Attractions and activities at WDW subject to increase.
**WDW subject to opening 2 new parks.
**The US dollar subject to inflation.
Man, don't take it personally. I didn't say they were completely out of line, all I did was show what it was then. Really in 1983. at least in the beginning, EPCOT Ctr. was hardly a full park. There was very little there to do and long, long lines to do them.

But, since you brought it up, in the future please leave out that inflation crap. Disney is now and always has been a luxury item. It has always been above the inflation rate, at least by the late 80's. It isn't governed by inflation it is completely governed by the laws of supply and mostly demand. It is obvious now that no matter what they charge, they still fill the parks close to capacity. They can and will charge what they want. Now if or probably when the economy downturns, they will be in trouble. The economy has had those ups and downs since the beginning of record indicators and there is no logical reason to think it won't happen again.

In 1983 my total income combined with my wife's was 23K. Dollar for dollar that 23K bought a lot more then then 23K will today. That money had to pay the mortgage, property taxes, heating costs in Vermont, two automobiles, clothing for 2 adults and 2 children, food and all the misc. thing that we have to deal with day to day. It was still a struggle to scrape together the money to go to WDW, even though those prices appear to be low. It is no different today except that they are adding more and more things to the bill that were part of admission back then. They have become a money printing press and people don't seem to mind that those parking lots have been there for year and years are now charged parking fees. Those theme parks had been paid for multiple times. In 1983 they had just invested a fortune in EPCOT and were trying to pay that off. So today's ticket prices have nothing whatsoever to do with inflation as it is all relative and they are free to charge whatever they will get in return. But, will there be a Waterloo to that? I believe so.

I'm glad they are finally investing in new and better stuff, but, is it to little to late. I don't know... time will tell.

Chef Mickey

Man, don't take it personally. I didn't say they were completely out of line, all I did was show what it was then. Really in 1983. at least in the beginning, EPCOT Ctr. was hardly a full park. There was very little there to do and long, long lines to do them.

But, since you brought it up, in the future please leave out that inflation crap. Disney is now and always has been a luxury item. It has always been above the inflation rate, at least by the late 80's. It isn't governed by inflation it is completely governed by the laws of supply and mostly demand. It is obvious now that no matter what they charge, they still fill the parks close to capacity. They can and will charge what they want. Now if or probably when the economy downturns, they will be in trouble. The economy has had those ups and downs since the beginning of record indicators and there is no logical reason to think it won't happen again.

In 1983 my total income combined with my wife's was 23K. Dollar for dollar that 23K bought a lot more then then 23K will today. That money had to pay the mortgage, property taxes, heating costs in Vermont, two automobiles, clothing for 2 adults and 2 children, food and all the misc. thing that we have to deal with day to day. It was still a struggle to scrape together the money to go to WDW, even though those prices appear to be low. It is no different today except that they are adding more and more things to the bill that were part of admission back then. They have become a money printing press and people don't seem to mind that those parking lots have been there for year and years are now charged parking fees. Those theme parks had been paid for multiple times. In 1983 they had just invested a fortune in EPCOT and were trying to pay that off. So today's ticket prices have nothing whatsoever to do with inflation as it is all relative and they are free to charge whatever they will get in return. But, will there be a Waterloo to that? I believe so.

I'm glad they are finally investing in new and better stuff, but, is it to little to late. I don't know... time will tell.
Personally? Just reminding you that it's Apples and Oranges to compare prices.

And too late? The Disney Parks are so successful, you could argue they have too many people coming. Parks are easily the best Disney business of the last 10 years.

And depends on what you're talking about. Things like electronics have come down in price. Remember how much you paid for your first TV? Or how much it cost to fly across the country? You can get a 50" TV for $200 today and fly from LA to NYC for $200 on a deal.

Goofyernmost

Personally? Just reminding you that it's Apples and Oranges to compare prices.

And too late? The Disney Parks are so successful, you could argue they have too many people coming. Parks are easily the best Disney business of the last 10 years.
I didn't compare anything. You are the one that listed comparisons. I just showed the official price list in 1983. I only commented on how they did indeed take advantage of the line that exclaimed... "Prices are subject to change". Never once said legitimately or rip off. And it is apples to apples. It is prices vs income, ability to have the extra money to pay admission vs. inability. All that is relative. People making today's salaries are just as hard pressed to put together the money for a Disney visit as they were then. Maybe more so, but, it isn't important, what is important is what one gets for the dollar and I have always said that what is purchased with the ticket price at WDW far exceeds the everyday common popular venues that we do. That doesn't mean that everyone can afford them any more then it meant that back in the 80's everyone could afford it.

Chef Mickey

I didn't compare anything. You are the one that listed comparisons. I just showed the official price list in 1983. I only commented on how they did indeed take advantage of the line that exclaimed... "Prices are subject to change". Never once said legitimately or rip off. And it is apples to apples. It is prices vs income, ability to have the extra money to pay admission vs. inability. All that is relative. People making today's salaries are just as hard pressed to put together the money for a Disney visit as they were then. Maybe more so, but, it isn't important, what is important is what one gets for the dollar and I have always said that what is purchased with the ticket price at WDW far exceeds the everyday common popular venues that we do. That doesn't mean that everyone can afford them any more then it meant that back in the 80's everyone could afford it.
It's not Apples to Apples. You didn't post wage growth figures or calculate the cheaper flights of today versus 1983. And again, the parks are far different today than in 1983.

I actually don't know if people have more or less disposable income than 35 years ago. People certainly travel more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom