Price Hikes Galore! (Genie+ variable pricing, ILL, refillable mugs, SWGE lightsaber and droids)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was joking, but I do seem to recall one time a decade or so ago that Disney raised soda bottle prices and then later reduced them. Something like, they went from $2 to $3 and then a few months later, down to $2.50.

I would not expect that nowadays.
Before the pandemic, Mickey Bars went up to $7 for a very short time. I was surprised there were no meltdowns* on the forum over it.

*Pun intended.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I saw it too. For a while now, PCDEV has been voicing is issues with WDW. Correct me if I am wrong, but in the past, he was invited by Disney and was in full influencer mode.

It looks like he burnt that bridge a little while back. You can't be honest and expect an invite.

On the other hand, you have influencers like Tim Tracker, he CANNOT risk his position as an influencer so you will not hear anything truthful negative from him.
The Trackers are savage about food they don't like.

Tim doesn't need to put on a mask with a voice changer and do a schadenfreuden dance over the things he doesn't like. Such moderation might be mistaken for tacit approval in certain circles.

Disstevefan1

The Trackers are savage about food they don't like.

Tim doesn't need to put on a mask with a voice changer and do a schadenfreuden dance over the things he doesn't like. Such moderation might be mistaken for tacit approval in certain circles.
I admit, I don't watch all of Tim's videos, but I have never seen him savage over ANYTHING.
Also, Tim does need a voice changer; he already sounds like Kermit the frog.

EPCOT-O.G.

Original Poster
I saw it too. For a while now, PCDEV has been voicing is issues with WDW. Correct me if I am wrong, but in the past, he was invited by Disney and was in full influencer mode.

It looks like he burnt that bridge a little while back. You can't be honest and expect an invite.

On the other hand, you have influencers like Tim Tracker, he CANNOT risk his position as an influencer so you will not hear anything truthful negative from him.
He didnā€™t burn a bridge. He assaulted a maintenance worker at his apartment complex and was charged with battery. Looks like he entered a plea back in August. After that, Disney took him off the list for media events and nixed (what appears to have been) a planned Disney wedding for him.

Tom P.

Ohā€¦you are very wrong there.

Nothing going on In this country with prices is ā€œsustainableā€ longterm. Itā€™s getting close to redline unless banks start giving out more credit with little hope for payment on it.

And wdw absolutely will suffer and likely much more than before because of what the Bobs have rigged.

The myth of wdw customer wealth is largely just that.
Write this down.

@Sirwalterraleigh and I agree.

I need a drink.

Jviera1298

It's a brilliantly evil tale punctuated by the inability of most consumers to see the situation for what it is - Disney abusing them for financial gain. I'm not going to dance around and sugarcoat it to appease some people's delicate feelings. This is Sociology 101 - Negative behavior will continue until there are negative consequences; Thus, Disney will continue to charge more while providing less (plus finding new ways to get more money from consumers) until people pull their heads out of their pixie-dust-coated nether-regions and stop going.

Honest question - where is a better place to go with better service and more to offer my family of 4 with two young girls (6 and 4) for a week or two? While I agree wholeheartedly that most changes Disney has made over the last several years are money grabs and the service level has declined some - I still can't find a better beginning to end experience for vacation that fits my family. Im not some shmuck whos being abused, I love Disney still! And I can afford their price hikes. So until I find something better, I'm not sure why I would stop going. To hope that my one family's vacations somewhere else changes Disney's behavior while I have a lesser experience? That sounds more ridiculous than just continuing to pay Disney.

Tom P.

Honest question - where is a better place to go with better service and more to offer my family of 4 with two young girls (6 and 4) for a week or two? While I agree wholeheartedly that most changes Disney has made over the last several years are money grabs and the service level has declined some - I still can't find a better beginning to end experience for vacation that fits my family. Im not some shmuck whos being abused, I love Disney still! And I can afford their price hikes. So until I find something better, I'm not sure why I would stop going. To hope that my one family's vacations somewhere else changes Disney's behavior while I have a lesser experience? That sounds more ridiculous than just continuing to pay Disney.
I'm sure you'll find people showing up here in short order to tell you that Disney parks today are no better than a Six Flags and that their resort hotels are basically Motel 6's. But I agree with you.

Mark48

He didnā€™t burn a bridge. He assaulted a maintenance worker at his apartment complex and was charged with battery. Looks like he entered a plea back in August. After that, Disney took him off the list for media events and nixed (what appears to have been) a planned Disney wedding for him.
Yikes.

thomas998

This isn't really a surprise. Disney's stock has dropped like a stone so they have to try and get more revenue to bring it back up. Unfortunately they are doing some really stupid things to do it. Price hikes at the park hurt but they don't destroy revenue streams. What I've been seeing in my local walmart nearly 1000 miles from any Disney park is a huge increase in the amount of Disney branded clothing, I'm even seeing Mickey frozen waffles. Now while my kids would probably have enjoyed that when they were little, it tells me that Disney is desperate to the point of pushing merchandise in the lowest of retail stores. Fun for a while but it reminds me of Lacoste shirts back in the 80's when they thought they wanted more money so they started selling the little gator shirts in K-Marts... Once people realize the stuff was sold in discount stores they no longer wanted to pay full price in the department stores... just wait, the sales in the parks are going to start going down in the next months as people will be slow to shell out mega bucks for the same shirt they can get at a WalMart for a fraction of the price. It was bad enough when Disney started lowering the quality of the merchandise in the parks... but now they are starting to signal that you can get the same thing in a WalMart. Disney is either very desperate or the management they have now is completely incompetent.

fgmnt

This isn't really a surprise. Disney's stock has dropped like a stone so they have to try and get more revenue to bring it back up. Unfortunately they are doing some really stupid things to do it. Price hikes at the park hurt but they don't destroy revenue streams. What I've been seeing in my local walmart nearly 1000 miles from any Disney park is a huge increase in the amount of Disney branded clothing, I'm even seeing Mickey frozen waffles. Now while my kids would probably have enjoyed that when they were little, it tells me that Disney is desperate to the point of pushing merchandise in the lowest of retail stores. Fun for a while but it reminds me of Lacoste shirts back in the 80's when they thought they wanted more money so they started selling the little gator shirts in K-Marts... Once people realize the stuff was sold in discount stores they no longer wanted to pay full price in the department stores... just wait, the sales in the parks are going to start going down in the next months as people will be slow to shell out mega bucks for the same shirt they can get at a WalMart for a fraction of the price. It was bad enough when Disney started lowering the quality of the merchandise in the parks... but now they are starting to signal that you can get the same thing in a WalMart. Disney is either very desperate or the management they have now is completely incompetent.
30% AP discount and the only thing I could stomach buying while I was there was a pair of EPCOT 40 pins for my mom. $60 Spaceship Earth cookie jar and it has 4 supports on it instead of 3. Yes, I absolutely am that insane to scoff at it over that.

Walt and Roy, Card and WDI, Eisner and Wells, these are the people who spent 60 years building equity on the public trust. Are we going to watch the successive regimes burn through all of that in half the time? I won't line up 4 hours to get a $12 popcorn bucket to find out, but I will pop some at home.

Jrb1979

For a family like yours Disney will always be number 1. For my family with a son who is in his teens a week long trip to Cedar Point is a better deal.

Raidermatt

Im making my comparisons based on 2 separate (i can go back even further) 10 day park hopper trips staying at value both times for me my daughter.
Poconos were 4 & 5 night trips
Wildwood were 4 & 5 night trips
Hershey park were 3 & 4 night trips with a Christmas Season trip of 2 nights
OC were 4 & 5 night trips.
RH ranch 3 nights cost me small fortune but we had ablast lol

Hershey Park i had 2 season passes which saved me money

My 10 day park hoppers cost me
715 and 650 for my 2 trips.
Stayedvalue and rooms cost me 140 & 190 per night
I eat at all character & sitdown meals and usually overtip especially the last 2 years and my comments include souvenirs etcā€¦

Disney runs me around 650 for the 2 of us actually a lil less per day and if you want to add in rental car daily cost is around 45 and flights were points but they would gave cost me around 250 pp so say another 50 per day. So all in my cost is around 730-750 per day. Again all basically. In line or cheaper thanthe other places & as i said if you only include the Disney part even cheaper.
I appreciate what you are saying based on how you visited, but I mean tickets alone... 10 day Disney PH (not plus) is $745.88 (I chose starting 11/1), so $75/day. Hershey's highest priced season pass is $288 which is $28.80 per day based on 10 days. I realize you may have stayed at different times, but in the interest of apples to apples I pulled these prices now so they are valid for both now. It's already almost a $50/day difference per person just based on tickets, so $100/day for two.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I appreciate what you are saying based on how you visited, but I mean tickets alone... 10 day Disney PH (not plus) is $745.88 (I chose starting 11/1), so $75/day. Hershey's highest priced season pass is $288 which is $28.80 per day based on 10 days. I realize you may have stayed at different times, but in the interest of apples to apples I pulled these prices now so they are valid for both now. It's already almost a $50/day difference per person just based on tickets, so $100/day for two.
I get what you are saying but thats my point Disney is not unique and Hershey is not a 10 day trip as we knowā€¦ i do have season passes and usually end up there as i said for about 7-8 days during the year if we could. Fwiw HP was probably the cheapest running me anywhere from 625-685 per day all in summer costing more. So again i was getting almost the same amount of days out of it when calculating my costs etc i think i paid around 350 all in for my AP caught some covid deals so i would say using your comparison maybe about a 40 per day savings which puts me in line give or take what Disney was running me. And of my trips HP was probably the ā€œcheapestā€ other option due to exactly what you said.

eliza61nyc

This isn't really a surprise. Disney's stock has dropped like a stone so they have to try and get more revenue to bring it back up. Unfortunately they are doing some really stupid things to do it. Price hikes at the park hurt but they don't destroy revenue streams. What I've been seeing in my local walmart nearly 1000 miles from any Disney park is a huge increase in the amount of Disney branded clothing, I'm even seeing Mickey frozen waffles. Now while my kids would probably have enjoyed that when they were little, it tells me that Disney is desperate to the point of pushing merchandise in the lowest of retail stores. Fun for a while but it reminds me of Lacoste shirts back in the 80's when they thought they wanted more money so they started selling the little gator shirts in K-Marts... Once people realize the stuff was sold in discount stores they no longer wanted to pay full price in the department stores... just wait, the sales in the parks are going to start going down in the next months as people will be slow to shell out mega bucks for the same shirt they can get at a WalMart for a fraction of the price. It was bad enough when Disney started lowering uthe quality of the merchandise in the parks... but now they are starting to signal that you can get the same thing in a WalMart. Disney is either very desperate or the management they have now is completely incompetent.
Just a question, why is purchasing Disney merchandise in stores a new thing?? My son is 30 and I definitely brought him mickey mouse shirts and undies from sears??

Lol I vote total incompetence but as long as I've been going right outside Disney's gates by downtown Disney they had Disney merchandise for 1/2 price. Just wondering at the correlation to stock price

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom