Present visible security measures in the parks

Spike-in-Berlin

Original Poster
It's been a while since this topic was discussed for the last time so I consider it alright to ask this question again: What are the present security measures in the parks and especially at the entrances of the parks? Are there metal detectors or other kinds of electronic detecting devices as standard procedure? We haven't been to the World since 2012 and a lot changed since then so we would like to know what Disney did to increase security level especially but not only against the terrorist threat?
I know that Disney has a LOT of invisible measures for security, that's why I asked for the visible, of course I am also grateful for informations about the invible measures as well.

rob0519

Nothing is that visible besides the expanded bag check and metal detectors (random) at the front of the parks.

They have also beefed up what you can't see.

No more security guys in para-military uniforms walking outside the front gate of MK with the mean looking German Shepards?

Smiley/OCD

From what I've been told, WDW is one of the largest employers of former FBI and DHS employees...they walk around the park as normal "guests" just "observing"...you would never find out who they are...that's why I for one and my family feel 100% safe (or as safe as one can be in a mass public space) at WDW...besides, like I've said before, if I have to "go", I couldn't think of a better place to "check out" then at WDW!! lol

Dave B

oh gotcha you, I was thinking you were talking in the parks, and you rarely ever see one in the park, although we all know they are there

rob0519

It's been a while since this topic was discussed for the last time so I consider it alright to ask this question again: What are the present security measures in the parks and especially at the entrances of the parks? Are there metal detectors or other kinds of electronic detecting devices as standard procedure? We haven't been to the World since 2012 and a lot changed since then so we would like to know what Disney did to increase security level especially but not only against the terrorist threat?
I know that Disney has a LOT of invisible measures for security, that's why I asked for the visible, of course I am also grateful for informations about the invible measures as well.

Increase the security level against what other than terrorists? Pickpockets? Personally, I feel more annoyed than safer by all the added bag checks and metal detectors, but that's just me. If someone really wants to do massive harm at Disney, they're not going to walk through the front gate.

crxbrett

Increase the security level against what other than terrorists? Pickpockets? Personally, I feel more annoyed than safer by all the added bag checks and metal detectors, but that's just me. If someone really wants to do massive harm at Disney, they're not going to walk through the front gate.

Mmmmm, I don't agree. Terrorists pick concerts and movie theaters and sporting events to attack. Why wouldn't they attempt an amusement park if security was lax at the entrances to get it? It sucks and is a sign of the times we live in, but Disney definitely needs security at the main gates everywhere.

Now what I didn't realize until watching a video recently, they have added security checks at the monorail stations at the resorts? When did that happen? I haven't been since 2008, so I had no idea.

Dave B

a few months ago, they moved it from the front of the park to the transportation center and the monorail hotels, really sucks or the hotel guests

The Empress Lilly

WDW is a bit more subtle than DLP. ;)

200vfgj.jpg

I have noticed a great many camera's in WDW the last few trips, but I have no idea how many had been present before.

rob0519

Mmmmm, I don't agree. Terrorists pick concerts and movie theaters and sporting events to attack. Why wouldn't they attempt an amusement park if security was lax at the entrances to get it? It sucks and is a sign of the times we live in, but Disney definitely needs security at the main gates everywhere.

Now what I didn't realize until watching a video recently, they have added security checks at the monorail stations at the resorts? When did that happen? I haven't been since 2008, so I had no idea.

I'm not saying Disney needs no security at the main gates. It's my opinion that they have gone a bit overboard, but I will concede it's their property and they certainly have knowledge that the general public does not. Yes, unfortunately, it is a sign of the times, that you can't go to an amusement park, a sporting event, most government buildings and even some private buildings without going through a metal detector.

I've not been there since the metal detectors were moved to the resort monorail stations, but I believe that was done a few months ago to ease the crowd choke point at the MK entrance.

crxbrett

I'm not saying Disney needs no security at the main gates. It's my opinion that they have gone a bit overboard, but I will concede it's their property and they certainly have knowledge that the general public does not. Yes, unfortunately, it is a sign of the times, that you can't go to an amusement park, a sporting event, most government buildings and even some private buildings without going through a metal detector.

I've not been there since the metal detectors were moved to the resort monorail stations, but I believe that was done a few months ago to ease the crowd choke point at the MK entrance.

Sorry, I misunderstood your point. I do think placing the security points at the monorail stations is overkill and going overboard. Are there security points at the launch and ferry docks as well? This seems like an odd decision if it is only the Monorail stations.

crxbrett

a few months ago, they moved it from the front of the park to the transportation center and the monorail hotels, really sucks or the hotel guests

Ahhhh. Yeah, that is kind of a bummer and an annoyance and seems like it wasn't the best solution long-term. So this means the boat launches and ferry docks also have the security gates now as well?

MissingDisney

We quite preferred the checks at the resort. It was quick and easy and no back up and once we arrived at the Magic Kingdom we could walk right in. The changes in locations were done to spread out the security check point crowds and not do it all at the entrance of the park. In our visits since, it's been so much better and easier crowd wise.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Sorry, I misunderstood your point. I do think placing the security points at the monorail stations is overkill and going overboard. Are there security points at the launch and ferry docks as well? This seems like an odd decision if it is only the Monorail stations.

Yes

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
As the insiders have stated repeatedly, Disney has security you'll never see - those are the ones needed in a major incident - and I imagine they are packing.. Some of the uniformed security carry weapons, we discovered, when a very drunk idiot decided to fight a family. He got there pretty fast once notified. And yes, Disney has cameras - some are noticeable and some aren't.

While no place can be 100% protected (breaches at the WH have proven that), I'm not going to lose sleep over Disney's security. I worry more about the entitled guest taking it out on a poor CM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom