Prepping for races - sleep/eating/etc

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Ok - now that I'm signed up for my 1st rD event. I took a big bite and signed up for the 5k, 10k & half in November. I plan on being at WDW from 10/30-11/6 so I can also vacation. How do y'all do it? I know we have to be up EARLY for the races and I know very little about eating, sleeping, etc before & after a race...HELP!!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'll be there October 31st through November 7th - Wednesday to Wednesday.

Sleep - I like to get to bed between 8:00 -8:30PM so I can get about 6 hours of sleep. Wake up at 2:30 AM, a hour before the buses start running. Have a cup of very strong tea, a toasted bagel with peanut butter to eat. Bring a banana with me to eat while waiting to start. Try not to drink much more liquid than the cup of tea as I've well hydrated the day before (as @Texas84 says, "check your color"). And use the porta potties at the staging area - those first ones on the course are always busy with long lines.

Eat carbs/protein the day before. But don't go nuts on the carbs, especially anything that can give you some intestinal issues, like beans. Pasta primavera with chicken is a great meal for dinner.

After race, make sure to rehydrate, so grab a bottle or two of either water or Powerade at the finish line. If it's warm and they are handing out cooling towels, grab one also - those things aren't cheap and rD is giving them away. I was shocked to see runners throwing them away after the Princess 10K and Half. Make sure to WALK for a few minutes once you get your medal, grab fluid & a food box and have your picture taken. In spite of rD discouraging you bringing a gear bag (that they give you at the Expo), I bring one for both the 10K and Half. In it is a pack of recovery powder I put in that bottle of water, hand sanitizing wipes and most importantly, flip flops. My running shoes and socks get taken off as soon as possible to give my tired sore feet some rest from my shoes - you will be surprised how much you feet will swell. I eat very little of that food box - most of it ends up in the trash - but I will eat one of the bananas they hand out.

When I get back to my room, my feet go in ice water for about 10 minutes. Then I fill up the tub with lukewarm eater, throw in some Epsom salt and soak my legs for about 20 minutes. Then I shower. You will need some protein with 30 minutes of getting back - my go to is a big glass of chocolate milk while I soak my legs - perfect combination of carbs & protein. And I eat some breakfast. Then nap for an hour before hitting the parks. You need to walk throughout the day.

Then it's repeat for each races.

Last edited:

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Great info!! Looks like I'll be stocking up on some "groceries" for my room fridge pre-race! I plan on running with a flip belt but the gear bag idea sounds do-able. I like the idea of flip flops too...my feet sweat so bad when I run!

So where does bread service at Sanaa's fit into all of this @LAKid53 ;)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Great info!! Looks like I'll be stocking up on some "groceries" for my room fridge pre-race! I plan on running with a flip belt but the gear bag idea sounds do-able. I like the idea of flip flops too...my feet sweat so bad when I run!

Post race, just in case some of the dips aren't running friendly. :)

LAKid53

Premium Member

The gear bag is checked in before you go to your corral, in case you didn't know that. I don't run with my flipbelt anymore since my Sparkle bottoms have plenty of pockets, including a big zippered one.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
The gear bag is checked in before you go to your corral, in case you didn't know that. I don't run with my flipbelt anymore since my Sparkle bottoms have plenty of pockets, including a big zippered one.

I've been eyeballing sparkle skirts for at least the half...not sure if I can afford THREE skirts for November but we'll see :)

LAKid53

Premium Member
I've been eyeballing sparkle skirts for at least the half...not sure if I can afford THREE skirts for November but we'll see :)

I have the Sparkle bottoms and then Sparkle Lights skirts because I like them separate - much easier to deal with in the porta potties....

dreamfinder

Practice beforehand as best you can. Race starts at 5:30? Do a few runs at 5:30, just so your body gets used to it. Heck, ideally try to simulate the whole race weekend, do Fri/Sat/Sun early AM runs as part of your training. Doesn't have to be the full distance (and probably shouldn't unless your training call for it) but it's more the early mornings and back to backs.

Sleep - as close to what you would do at home. If you need 8 hours, try to get 8 hours. Not always easy to do at WDW, but plan your days so you are heading back to rest appropriately. This is part of why simulating the early AMs in advance can be helpful, if you aren't used to going to be at say 8 instead of 10, it might be tough for you to go to sleep the night before the race. I usually try to be in bed by 9 or 10, but I'm normally up at 4, so it's not a big stretch for me to get up 30-45 mins earlier to catch the bus.

Food - Again, try to keep it simple and what you are used to at home. Eating well over the long haul will usually do your body better than cramming carbs the night before a race. Doing the dry runs at home will let you figure out what works race day. Remember it will be a few hours from wake up to race start, so you will probably want to have a light breakfast to tide you over. I usually do a banana or bagel, but once again it's about what works for you. Post race they will have the snack boxes, not the healthiest, but usually enough to tide you over.

Definitely prep your stuff the night before. It's much easier to just roll out of bed and have everything lined up and ready to put on instead of digging around half asleep trying to find your socks. Gear bags can be key post race, depending on you and the weather. Having dry or warm clothes to put on past race can make you a much happier person. You will need to turn it in 30-60-90 minutes before the first runners start, so don't put anything in there you need. If it looks like it might be cold/rainy, pack some throw away clothes for warmth or trash bags if its raining.

Texas84

Good stuff.

Chances are you won't sleep well but it's important not to stress over that. It's OK, adrenalin will get you through the race. But stay in bed and rest best you can. Take a few deep breaths and try to clear your mind.

surfsupdon

After each race, jump in that hot tub or pool and pretend you are bicycling. Helps me a lot. Also, may I suggest a yoga practice. Yoga has helped my running and recovery, especially, tremendously!

The night of the 5K doesn’t matter too much bc it’s a short distance, but the night of the 10k and half try to be in bed by 9pm. Even if you are just laying, it is helpful.

Btw, I can’t reccommend yoga enough for runners. I’m just not sore any longer, even after long runs and races.

LAKid53

Premium Member
After each race, jump in that hot tub or pool and pretend you are bicycling. Helps me a lot. Also, may I suggest a yoga practice. Yoga has helped my running and recovery, especially, tremendously!

The night of the 5K doesn’t matter too much bc it’s a short distance, but the night of the 10k and half try to be in bed by 9pm. Even if you are just laying, it is helpful.

Btw, I can’t reccommend yoga enough for runners. I’m just not sore any longer, even after long runs and races.

I second Don's yoga recommendation. Downward dog is excellent for the hamstrings and calves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom